Hotel JL No76
US$350
Hotels.com
US$375
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$177
ibis
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$232
US$204
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$190
US$294
US$234
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$277
US$469
US$334
  • Room Service
1,196 results
All reviewshonesty barjacuzzi bathvan gogh museumquiet streethonor barmuseum districtgreat boutiqueexecutive roomdesigner shopshigh end shoppingtree lined streetseafood barnespresso machineshopping streetmajor museumssmall hoteltwo blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

It was with slight apprehension we boarded the hotel shuttle/coach from the airport. Previous experience has taught us to never presume that accommodation is what it says it is in the travel guides. I can happily report though that this ace was fantastic. Great location in the Museum Quarter of Amsterdam and within easy walking distances of s main attractions. Amsterdam is a city best enjoyed on foot after all. The room was clean, tea/coffee provided, excellent housekeeping and a fab bathroom (not allowing for the fact the plug in the bath was broken and despite reporting it it was not repaired during our stay). The only downside would be that it's a bit of a squeeze getting in the door due to the room design and being opposite the lift (room 204) was a bit annoying after a while. The hotel would probably do well to offer free wifi as do many other hotels/cafes/hotel coaches. Staff were overall extremely helpful and friendly although breakfast staff were a little erratic. We got offered a cooked breakfast the first day (inc in booking) but then they appeared to just ignore us on the second day. It pays to approach staff to ask for what you need. Overall I would recommend this hotel for anyone passing through Amsterdam who wants an alternative to all the tat and sleaze of the RLD. Will Definetly be back.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank HarperTimes
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed for four nights, Monday to Friday, and upgraded our room after the first night. The first room on the top floor was approximately 3.5 metres wide and 7 metres deep. Entering from the corridor the metre wide entry passage had the washbasin arrangements and wardrobe on the right and the entry to the wc and shower on the left. Three metres in was the bedroom with a queen bed and a long shelf along most of the opposite wall. There were 2 chairs as well. So, there wasn't much room for our two large cases. While the room had plenty of power points to re-charge things and a Nespresso machine, the light over the mirror above the handbasin area didn't work making it a rather gloomy place to shave or apply make-up. The toiletries comprised 1 x 30 ml tube of shampoo and a single cake of soap supplied for the two of us to shower with and also use at the handbasin, measured approximately 50 x 25 x 5 mm. When we enquired about the wi-fi we were told there was a daily or weekly charge although we could use the single desktop computer in the foyer anytime without charge however, when we pointed out that our Booking.Com confirmation stated that, "Wi-fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge" the staff member at the desk immediately gave us full wi-fi access without.
We upgraded to a larger room on the first floor on the second day at an additional cost of Eur20 per day. This room had an extra metre's depth as it had a bay window and it also had 3 chairs, one for the desk area and two lounge chairs. Everything in the room was fine although the toiletries remained 'on ration' and there were no bathrobes supplied and no bathmat which we had had in the previous room.
The hotel is very well decorated and has a welcoming feel to it. It's on a quiet street and the lobby area is small but comfortable and the breakfast area likewise. Breakfast comprised a good variety of food including cooked items but at Eur 19.50 per person was expensive for us as we only have cereals, tea and toast.
The hotel is very well-located near the Concert Hall, Van Gogh and Rijksmuseums and there is a good restaurant district within easy walking distance.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and all spoke good English so we had no difficulty communicating.
We would definitely stay there again, but would take the larger room and bring our own toiletries (We run a bed and breakfast ourselves and a cake of good-sized cake of Molton Brown soap costs about Aus$0.95 and 30 ml shampoo and 30 ml conditioner about the same, each, so I'm at a loss to fathom why so many places skimp on a very inexpensive item but one that can make a guest feel unhappy if insufficient).

Room Tip: Go for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raedward
Reviewed 28 August 2012

A fabulous hotel around 20 minutes walk from Dam Square. Excellent location with local bars/restaurants approximately 5 minutes walk. Situated behind an amazing row of designer shops, this hotel was quiet and extremely comfortable. Only downside was that there was no free wi-fi and having the bathroom sink in the room itself was a bit strange. Room service was prompt and tasty. Honesty bar was a bonus.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Lynchster
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My actual rating is Good for this hotel.

This is a very nice small hotel in Museumplein. Very close to Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. The staff is absolutely great. They speak such perfect English that you forget you are in a foreign country. We got checked-in while the receptionist was listening to techno music and he was dancing to it. I thought that really captured the atmosphere in Amsterdam. He was really helpful and record-breaking fast.

Bus 197 from Schiphol Airport drops you off two blocks away from the hotel but we ended up taking the Connexion hotel shuttle since 197 looked packed and it was raining. Hotel shuttle drops you off right at the door. It is 16 euros per person one way.

The only disappointment about the hotel is that executive room was in the basement and carpets were stained and looked dirty. The vanity kits were all empty. Try to avoid room numbers 80s (basement) and 92 (right next to the elevator). Executive rooms are bigger and has a jacuzzi but next time I would get a smaller room that is upstairs. It was difficult to sleep in the morning hearing footsteps. Towels were changed everyday even if you hang it so just don't bother hanging them. Towels did not look very good.

Our helpful staff tried to change it for us but the hotel was full. We arrived on the Amsterdam Gay Pride Parade day. If you are planning to travel to Amsterdam on the first Saturday of August I recommend to plan ahead.

The breakfast was great. I was severely jet-lagged and tried to see if a breakfast place is open at 7:00am on a Sunday. None of course. I was very happy to see the hotel breakfast available… It was very good. It is reasonably priced if you consider breakfast prices nearby. I don't eat a lot for breakfast so it felt expensive but worth it.

Wifi is not included in the room price.

As we were leaving staff was very helpful again to store our luggage pretty much all day.

I might consider staying here again if they can change their carpets, provide better towels and have a better hair dryer. Maybe rooms upstairs are cared better. So if you choose this hotel pick a room that is upstairs.

Room Tip: Upstairs. Avoid room number 80s and 90s.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musti_SF
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed for 4 nights at this hotel recently on 2-6 August 2012, decided to splurge and booked an Executive Deluxe room.

As advised, I took the Airport shuttle bus which I think was perfect as it is less pricey than cab but stops right outside the hotel. It costed 16 euros one way and I wish I had bought a return which would only been 26 euros, I didn't so I paid 32 euros instead.

Lobby was awesome and really cool. Stayed at room 201, which I think is one of the only 2 rooms with a balcony. Absolutely love the room which was modern, spacious and clean. The jacuzzi bath with TV was the best and I used it all 4 nights. Super impressed with how quickly I can fill up the bath. Everywhere I stayed, it took ages to fill the bath but not here, it only took about 2 mins. The air con worked well, mattress and pillows were super comfortable. Also nice to have a little balcony. Location wise, it's in a nice quiet area and on the street parallel are all the designer brands. Takes about 15 minutes to walk to the floating flower market and 30-35 minutes to the train station. Otherwise, can just hop onto one of the trams.

Day time staff was friendly and helpful and helped me book taxi for 2 days to take me to the train station early in the morning and also the shuttle to the airport on the last day, no problem at all and they all arrived on time.

A few little things I noted and hope they can improve. Emailed them before arrival and asked 2 questions, they replied and only answered 1, so had to email them again.

Breakfast was not included which I don't complain. But wifi was not included either and they charged me 8 euros per day, the price itself is reasonable but I think most hotels include wifi these days so I didn't like that it's not included in the room rates.

Got back to the hotel at 10:20pm one night and learned that their kitchen closed at 10, so could not order any food and there was nothing closeby. Did so the last night and ordered a caprese burger and an apple pie, they arrived 20 mins later. The burger is really nice but the apple pie was ok, prices reasonable.

I am not tall but I don't consider myself super short (5'4), but I could only see the top of my head on the mirror above the sinks, not even my forehead so I guess they were meant for people at least 5'10? The part where you adjust water temperature at the shower, it says hot on the left and cold on the right but it was actually the other way around.

The housekeeping service really leaves a bit to be desired, everywhere else I stayed, even if they didn't fold my PJ they will just put it on the duvet, but my PJ was either chucked on the chair or on the bedside table. Also, they clearly did not clean the balcony both before or during my stay which I can't understand, it is part of the room afterall, isn't it? And towels, I hung my bath towel up so they didn't need to replace with fresh ones, but they were replaced anyhow. The towel for the floor which I placed inside the sink and expected it to be replaced, they replaced 1 day but did not do so the next 2 days, so I ended up having none on the last night. Also the shampoo, I never expected them to be nice but this shampoo really dries ur hair out, so lades, bring conditioner.

The night time staff needs a bit of training, I asked to book the hotel shuttle to the airport and basically he didn't know the time nor how, so he suggested I book a cab. I thought it was unnecessary and asked again when I checked out the next morning, the staff was helpful and told me that I could take the bus or book the shuttle for me if I prefer.

So overall, I absolutely love the room and the location and although they can improve on services, I don't think it was anything major and am likely to return. I stayed at another hotel (Hotel Notting Hill) in Amsterdam last year and I definitely prefer Hotel JL No. 76 over Hotel Notting Hill.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo