“Very enjoyable”
Review of Hotel JL No76

Hotel JL No76
Ranked #25 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay here - good big/bright room, very clean, good amenities, good location for the museum. Great idea to have a personal Nespresso machine in the room and a loyalty bar/cafe in the lobby. The staff very friendly and helpful.

The downsides - the lobby/restaurant a bit soul-less and anonymous - maybe needs more 'hosting' ... the downside of a 'loyalty' system. The staff did their best, but it was all a bit lifeless, so I just went back to my room after a walk. One thing - don't order the 'chicken' ceasar salad ... a few bits of chopped sliced/processed chicken on a weird bed - not what I was hoping for.

But all in all, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel JL No76, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Ec1jones,

Thank you for sharing your experiences, your feedback is of the outmost important for me and for the team of Hotel JL No 76. It is good to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the hotelroom itself.

I am also happy to read your comments about the Caesar Salad and about or Honestybar. Our honestybar is not meant to be an anonymous spot, we reallly would like to feel our guests at home in our bar! We will absolutely check what we can do to improve this.

Thank you for your comments, hopefully we will welcome you again in our hotel when you will visit Amsterdam the next time.

Kind regards,
Eline Postma
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights and we had a wonderful experience. We had booked a standard double and on check in we were asked if we would like to upgrade to an executive with a Jacuzzi bath for a small fee of 15 euros per night which was a great deal and glad we did. The honesty bar is a great idea as creates a lovely atmosphere and allows you to help yourself to drinks when you like and also take out a coffee with you for the day. The breakfast was lovely.

The nespresso machine in our room was a great touch especially as me and my partner are coffee mad and there was a great selection and the staff would top up our supply whenever we needed. The room was exactly as advertised and there were no nasty surprises like I have experienced in other hotels.

Staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble and were knowledgeable of the area which made it easy to get around. we booked a Segway tour for as soon as we arrived through Segwaycitytouramsterdam.com which I would recommend to anyone as it is great fun and you can work out which places you would like to visit during your stay and get an idea the area to help you get around.

Location was perfect for us especially being behind the road with all the designer shops :)

It was a 30 minute bus ride from the airport and a short walk across a lovely park.

I hope to visit Amsterdam again and I will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

Kelly Stapleton & Tony Keogh

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly S

Dear Kelly Stapleton & Tony Keogh,

Thank you very much for your nice words and thank you very much for choosing Hotel Hotel JL No 76! It is really good to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and that we were able to be a part of this! Also nice to hear you enjoyed the honesty bar in our hotel!

We look forward to welcome you back in the hotel on your next trip.

Eline Postma - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrived on early bird flights into town, despite meandering for a bit, we tried our luck to see if we could check in a little early or deposit our bags for a while. Luckily, our room had already been tidied and we were able to check in. (I cannot begin to say how thankful I am!) The young lady that checked us in was absolutely wonderful and helpful with answering our questions and offering suggestions. (We even asked about the dogs in the window) Despite my husband and I being quite a few years younger than any of the other guests, we were treated equally as well and were welcomed by all the staff. Jacques was wonderful also, he gathered our bus info and readied our bill for us the night before.
The room was extremely clean! The carpeted floor was not nasty (I didn't mind walking barefoot). The pillows were a nice touch, but were a tad large for regular sleeping. The espresso machine is tucked away in the cabinet which makes it difficult to see/use - I promptly moved it to the corner of my counter. Once figured out, it really wasn't that hard and made pretty decent espresso. Although once you deplete what you have in the room, you do have to ask front desk for more. The bathroom... I've seen some good and bad reviews here... the exec suit has a very large soaking tub, with a TV, so brush up on your sponge Bob and Dutch at the same time. Just be careful getting out of the tub. The shower door, like shower doors I've come across in France, are glass hinged dividers. The shower shared the same floor as the toilet. I figured out that closing/leaving the door open half way or so affords enough shower space and doesn't flood the bathroom floor. The sinks are not in the shower/toilet room, but in the hall/doorway area. (Common practice in American hotels). If I had the space, I would totally remodel my bath to resemble my hotel room. Only odd thing that I found quirky is the room key is also your master switch card for your electric. But I do like the safety of your room key as the front door key after hours. And being night owls, this was wonderful. Was also very secure and safe.

Do note: once you get into Amsterdam, a credit/bank card with no chip is useless, pull out euros. Make sure you get the tram passes, 24 and 48 hours the hotel has, there is also a 72hr card. These tram cards are priceless! Also, I would HIGHLY recommend museum tickets ahead of time or via jl no76. It really is worth it!

And lastly: location! Really couldn't ask for better. A block and a half from the tram and bus stops. An easy 2-3 blocks from the museum district.

1  Thank iamurkarma

Dear Iamurkarma,

Thank you for your great review on this website. It is good to hear that an early arrival was possible. We are pleased to hear that you judged our rooms as extremely clean and you appreciated the helpfull staff! Everybody in our team is motivated to deliver the best possible service and quality and the staff is absolutely our greatest asset. Thank you also for the suggestions regarding pillows & the bathroom, we will absolutely take these things in consideration!

We hope that we may welcome you again in our hotel when you visit Amsterdam next time.

Warm regards,
Eline Postma
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Arriving in Amsterdam on Kings Day morning was quite an experience. Since no transportation was available from the central station, we had to walk. Maps were a little confusing, so it took us a long time to make it to the hotel. That was the only negative aspect of the hotel -- but I guess getting lost wasn't their fault. We were welcomed and given a room right away. This small boutique hotel is in the quite museum neighborhood only a few blocks from the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum and about a 15 minute walk into the heart of the town. Rooms were a little small, but very comfortable and modern. The room was quiet, bed was very comfortable, great shower, and fantastic towels and sheets. The staff was warm and welcoming and had a great breakfast. Amsterdam can be a hectic town, and this hotel offered peace! It was a great way to start the vacation.

If you ever want a mind blowing experience, go to Amsterdam on Kings Day. The town is completely packed and everyone is singing, dancing, laughing and celebrating their kings birthday. If you go, wear orange. Only negative about this day (April 26) was the transportation to the city was closed. If you want to go to the Van Gogh or the Rijksmuseum make sure you go early in the morning and get your tickets ahead of time. This hotel sold us our tickets for both museums and didn't have to wait in any line.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottPortland_Oregon

Dear ScottPortland_Oregon,

Thank you very much for your kind words and thank you very much for choosing Hotel Hotel JL No 76 as your preferred place to stay for this visit! I am proud to learn you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and that you appreciated our helpfull team. It is quite an experience to celebrate Kingsday in orange coloured Amsterdam!

I will make sure your comments are shared throughout the hotel; since it serves as a great motivational tool for all of us! We look forward to welcome you back in the hotel on your next trip.

Eline Postma – Hotel Manager

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is in a great location for the major museums and the Concertgebouw. Really handy for the trams too, with number 5 only a couple of minutes walk away. Our room was spacious clean and very comfortable. Liked the nespresso in the room. The bathroom had a great spa bath and rainwater shower plus really luxurious towels.

Breakfast was very good with a great choice, can recommend the cooked to order pancakes. Will stay here on our next visit.

Honesty bar was well stocked and the lounge although quite small was perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a superior room a the front of the hotel for only a few Euros.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ray S.,

Thank you for your great review on this website. We are pleased to hear that you judged everything of our hotel in such a good way. Especially good to hear that you appreciated the 'extra's' of our hotelroom as in Nespresso machine & Jacuzzi bath that much. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and we hope that we may welcome you again in our hotel when you visit Amsterdam next time.

Warm regards, Team Hotel JL no 76

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The JL hotel is a very comfortabel hotel, on a perfect location; just Behind the P.C.Hooftstraat, the most elegant shopping street of A'sterdam, close to The Concertgebouw, The well known
Vodelpark is just around the corner; very tempting for a morning walk .
Nice modern rooms, good beds and served breakfast, made my stay very worthwhile.
The JL hotel,si,located in a very quiet green street whthout through foing traffic.

Room Tip: I,prefer the rooms at the backside of the hotel, because of the afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carl S

Dear Carl S.,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and the time you took to share your thoughts with fellow travelers. I am proud to learn that you really enjoyed you stay with us and you did enjoy the location in our quiet and green street that much.

Should travels bring you to Amsterdam once more in the future, we look forward to welcome you back in our hotel.

Eline Postma – Hotel Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a short walk from Rijsmuseum and near tram to station/airport.
The staff on reception were so helpful we left our room key downstairs and one reception gentleman sprinted up the stairs and met us at lift. If you see how steep the stairs are that's some feat.
We had a luxury/Or slightly more expensive room not sure how these are categorised. Worth it as it has a lovely deep bath. Which was needed after much museum visiting.
Nice restaurants you can walk to in the vicinity. Didn't rate the museum cafés btw.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a bath and lovely view of the Dutch street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MarquisofCaribas,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and thank you very much for choosing Hotel Hotel JL No 76! It is really good to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and that we were able to be a part of this! Also nice to hear our reception team assisted you that well:)

We look forward to welcome you back in the hotel on your next trip.
Eline Postma - Hotel Manager