“great service, also great view from restaurant!”

Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #94 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed two nights in the Ramada with friends who came over from China. Service was great, with very friendly staff at the breakfat buffet (we didn't have dinner at the Ramada). The restaurant is on the 17th floor, so the view is stunning! We asked for an extra bed in the room for our daughter, which was no problem. Transportation to the center of Amsterdam is easy. Tram 13 will bring you there in 10-15 minutes. We highly reccomend the Ramada in Amsterdam!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Otto F
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear OttoF,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay in the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

Thank you for choosing our hotel! It’s great to read that you highly recommend our hotel, that’s a big compliment for us!

The Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre Team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back during on one of your next trips to Amsterdam.

There are newer reviews for Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I booked hotel on Hotwire and prepaid room with them. Every night, I got my card authorized for one night stay. At checkout, I gave my Dutch card and they charged it and the front desk said it did not go through so they charged it again; I looked with my bank and both went through. I told front desk I prepaid on Hotwire and was shocked to be double charges. He confidentially said I did not prepay room. He confidently said my card did not went through even though I saw accepted on the pin paid. A rip off. Young travelers, a quadruple charge on your cards will ruin your entire budget. Stay away. I call management and they are confident they did not charge me more than once. Over confident management who don't care about customers. I will fight the charges through all avenues possible.

Room had a smell to it. Location is horrible. Restaurant is overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Robert B

Dear Robert Blake,

Thank you for your review and sharing your experiences with us. You already had email contact with several of my colleagues.

I am very sorry for the trouble you experienced regarding your bill from your most recent stay. As you know from your previous stays, this is not the norm at our hotel and I’m extremely sorry for both the billing error and the inconvenience this has caused you as a result. This is not the level of service that we try to offer, so I appreciate your feedback so I know what areas of improvement we have to work on.

From what I understand, our receptionist has returned the money to you and has straightened things out and at the time, apologized to you for the inconvenience as well as the error on the hotel’s part. Please understand that overcharging you was not done intentionally.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future when we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Due to heavy wind i missed my connection home at night. Instead i speent a night at Ramada in a Nice corner Rome. Comfortabele bed. The wi-fi isn't to good. The view from the breakfast room is marvellous. Even though the reason for my stay was inwanted, i could recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Lars D
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear LarsD,

Thank you so much for your kind words on Tripadvisor!

I can imagine it is not nice when your flight has been cancelled. Fortunately you did enjoy your stay with us!

I am very happy that you recommend the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre and hope to welcome you back in the near future for a longer stay.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 5 nights b/n 12 and 17th of April 2013 with my girl. Location is decent - out of the center but reachable through tram (number 13) which stops at Central station and passes through Dam square (where you can easily switch to trams like 2 and 5 which take you in no time to Rijksmuseum, flower market and other tourist friendly sights). In terms of time spent on the tram b.n hotel and Dam square - maybe 15-20 minutes of commuting. Nothing out of the ordinary. Rooms are a bit small, but absolutely suited for the travellers who will need just a place to crash after 12 hours on foot. Not too tiny either. Complimentary coffee/tea was served. Room service is impecable. Room was cleaned every day. No noise even though our room was on the 5th floor and facing the highway. No credit card problems encountered. Had to check out at 6 a.m. - receptionist was there, was knowledgeable and super kind and fast. Didn't have time to check the Fllor 17 or the gym, but was satisfied with everything. Oh, bed was queen size bad. Super cozy and nice especially for sore legs at the end of the day. Enjoy your stay there. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mbialkov
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Mbialkov,

Thank you so much for your nice review!

Thank you ever so much for highly recommending the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre. It is very important for a hotel to produce good reviews as most people nowadays will first check Tripadvisor before booking a room.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I've been to Amsterdam a few times and each time stayed in the center or at the airport. When I've stayed in the center a room opening up to a small garden in the Jordaan neighborhood is premium... along with a premium price. This trip I tried something different. The Ramada Apollo is a great choice. This hotel is facing Rembrandt park which is huge, safe and beautiful with flat walkable paths for anyone. There is a tram stop just behind the hotel that will zip you to the center in 15 minutes for 2.80 euros. I had a room on the 12th floor facing the park and could see the neighborhood I'd paid three times over in the past. Small room but floor plan maximized space and has large windows.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank trvlgfool

Dear Trvlgfool,

I would like to thank you for staying with us. I'm delighted to read your positive comments on Tripadvisor.

We do hope to get the chance to welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had booked to fly United Dreamliner (Boeing 787) to Houston on 04 March but this was replaced by a Boeing 767 due to 'the problems' so we were sitting in the termal at Schiphol looking at 'our' plane when United announced it had collected a bird in one engine on arrival; several hours later the flight was cancelled and United put us up overnight in the Ramada Apollo. This 18 storey (?) former office block has recently been converted to an excellent hotel. We had a great room on the eighth floor with high class funishings. There is a good bar on the TOP floor with fab views and the restaurant adjoining is OK (we were provided with a buffet evening meal by United - and packed breakfast in the morning before they took us back to the airport.)
Yup! I will go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RHB711

Dear RHB711,

Thank you for this wonderful 5 star review. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your room and its facilities.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel even when you had a cancelled flight!

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel (admittedly pleasant, clean, welcoming...at first)we were told that there was no reservation for us. No real effort to double check this was made and so we retreated to the bar to think about parting with another almost £400 to stay the two nights we thought we had booked. The receptionist told me the travel agent we used did not exist and the phone number didn't work. I of course tried the number myself when we sat down to think things over and lo and behold I got through to someone who checked the same references as the receptionist and he found my booking under my name - the error was that the first and surname were the wrong way round. Something easily spotted on an arrivals list.

I do not travel often so when we were eventually able to check in (having almost parted with a lot of unnecessary money) I asked whether it mattered if I used to a debit card to authorise the room. I was told no however I did have enough cash on my to cover this just in case. Reassured it didn't matter if it wasn't a credit card I made the payment and two weeks later I am still awaiting its return. I asked the hotel to contact me - they didn't. I asked the General Manager to contact me - they didn't. Eventually someone from the finance department contacted me to explain she had contacted the intermediary company and asked them to release the money (would this have happened if I had not queried it)?

I am now being told there is nothing more they can do and I fear the size of this complaint has been hidden from anyone senior and thus I am left emailing daily to find out where my money is just to be told they do not have it. So it is in limbo and I have racked up a fortune calling the hotel and my bank.

Our room was lovely and I work in hospitality so I appreciate good service, the bar staff were brilliant. The restaurant staff were however quite dismissive of us and we felt unwelcome. Sadly we will not be returning to what could be a good hotel if the receptionist that served us received some decent training. I await the return of my money somewhat impatiently and appear to have hit a brick wall. Use a credit card or cash - will never make that mistake again. If only someone had advised us of this.....

Room Tip: Upgrade for a really spacious room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarahchurch
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Mrs. Church,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply on your previous stay.
I can assure you that what happened during your stay is discussed amongst the responsible departmental managers, their supervisor and employees to prevent any new failures in the future.
In your previous email to our Front Office department you have clearly pointed out what happened with your debit card. I sincerely apologize for all this has caused you. I will definitely take this up with the employee involved. We really appreciate the feedback provided to us; we will definitely use this to improve our product and service in the future.

Regarding your previous email we released your debit card immediately. Unfortunately it can take longer before your bank put the released amount of money back on the card since it is a debit card.