“Good location”

Ranked #83 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Having spent 5 nights at the Ramada Apollo Hotel I have to say it was the best location. Out of the hustle and bustle but only 20mins away by tram to Central Station using tram 13 and walking at a good pace 45 mins walk.
I was welcomed at the airport by the free shuttle mini bus which took me to the hotel in 20 mins and had the advice from the driver about the tram service which is in front of the hotel. You do not have to pre book the shuttle from the airport only from the hotel to the airport which is 5 Euros. The train is 4.50 Euros and you have to pay for the bus or tram on top.
I was on the 4th floor over looking Rembrandt Park, the neighbourhood has plenty of restaurants, bars and supermarkets. The room was very comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities and on the 3rd floor was an ice machine. I didn't use the floor 17 restaurant as I was out in the town anyway.The best thing I found was the 3 day tram/metro card amazing value and it only starts from the first time you check in on the tram the price was 16.50 Euros and if you need to, you can get 1hr cards for 2.80 Euros.
They have a free Sauna and fitness area but it was lacking in atmosphere so I didn't use it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Cheltenhamspa
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Cheltenhamspa,

Thank you very much for leaving such useful information to our future guests on tripadvisor. I would also like to thank you for providing our future guests with such detailed travel information.

Thank you very much for staying at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We have stayed in and around Amsterdam before, and this is the best hotel we have stayed in, for a long time, not just in Amsterdam but anywhere, the staff were very helpful speaking fluent English, and the room was ultra modern inside with British TV, plenty of coffee facility's.
The tram was just outside the hotel and it was less than 30 mins to the centre unlike what other reviews say.
I think that my next hotel is already chosen for my next stay in Amsterdam.
Thanks a lot

Room Tip: The front rooms have an amazing view of the city
Deat stoney1979m,

What a superb review! A 5 bullet rating like yours really means the world to me and my team.
All important aspects of the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre are mentioned in your review. Thank you very much for that!

It was a real pleasure welcoming you a guest and I do hope to do so again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were overall very pleased with our stay in this hotel. It was clean, roomy and quiet and inexpensive via the flight and accommodation package we bought. It's on the tram 13 route to get you easily and quickly into the centre of Amsterdam.

We did think the head end of the bed arrangement rather strange and annoying. The end of the bed where you might normally expect a headboard instead backed onto two floor to ceiling cupboards which were accessed adjacent from either side of the bed. OK fine, but there was nothing to connect these two cupboards apart from a shelf at mattress level. This meant that unless you were positioned on the edge of the bed you couldn't lean back without falling into this void which was about 3' (1m) across. There's also no curtain or door to the shower so things tend to get wet outside unless you use loads of towels on the floor. The reception often seemed swamped with only one or two staff on duty. These though were minor points outweighed by the earlier mentioned positives and we would have given this a 5 star rating, except...

When we checked out 5 days later we were disappointed to discover that, from what we could discern they were going to take the apparently customary EUR 150 deposit for damages and return the money less "city tax" amounting to EUR 17.35. We were rather confused as we had missed the small print on Lastminute.com's website that said a non-specific tax might be liable directly to the hotel (this doesn't appear in the correspondence they send you so you have to make sure you read this online at time of booking). We had asked the reception lady several times when giving our card for the deposit on check in whether there would be any payment taken from the card (saving of course us trashing the room or similar) and were assured that would not happen. However, on checkout it became apparent that we had to pay a city tax charge which the original reception staff had not made clear would be due and deducted from the card. In fact, from what they indicated, the EUR 150 would be debited and then EUR132.65 would be credited. We came back yesterday and have not yet seen any charges/credits on our account yet so we're not sure is this is exactly how they are going to transact it, but we feel it would have been far more transparent had we been informed at the beginning that this charge would be due on checkout and how much it would be and then given a separate bill for settlement. I can understand the previous poster's similar confusion.

All in all though, an enjoyable stay and we would recommend it, just bear the tax issue in mind if you were unaware of this requirement, especially if you think you've already paid in advance for everything.

Room Tip: As others have said, ask for a high floor room although I'd imagine the views would be good from...
1 Thank Rosedell
Dear Ms. Rosedall,

What a pleasure to read such an extended review, the fact that you would recommend this hotel is a big compliment to all my colleagues.

The city tax is indeed an obligation by the Dutch government, I’m sorry if this wasn’t clear to you upfront. I would like to thank for mentioning this, so we are able to upgrade our service level and awareness of all employees.

Again, thank you very much for leaving us your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back any time soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have just checked into the hotel about 2hrs ago, upon arrival we have to pay £150 room deposit, this is on top of me paying for the hotel room in advance, plus at the end of the stay 5% of the deposit is deducted as a City Tax?!

I would have minded so much if this had been expalined to me before booking, and the fact that I left my Barclay Card in UK and have no extra funds has really put a dampner on my break so far...!

Hopefully I can speak to management and get a concession on the room deposit.

I wil, poat more updates during my stay, we are due to check outnon Sunday... so watch this space for more info...!

I will be posting updates.

Dear daledavies,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

As all 4-star hotels in Amsterdam, we do indeed ask for a deposit of €50 per night. I’m very sorry you were not informed about this by your travel agent.

Please also be aware of the fact that the city tax is an obligation of the Dutch Government and can be seen as a tourist tax.

I do understand, you did already discuss the previous with my colleague upon check-out. In case of any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me in person.

Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

stayed at the ramada for 2 nights. when leaving the airport we went to the stand for the free shuttle to the hotel. its right outside the airport. we didnt pre book this only waited ten minutes. if you want it to take you back the airport you have to book it at the hotel. small fee of 5euros each. well worth it. we were on the 9th floor room was clean bathroom was clean and big and the shower was hugh. you need to be careful in the shower as there are no grips on the bottom and it gets slippy.bed was ok comfort wise. only down side there was no window that you could open. breakfast was ok mostly continental. and for the smokers there is a smoking room on the same floor. first day we walked in to town and back. it is a bit of a walk would recommend getting the tram. its 7.50 euro for a 24 hour pass. well worth it. purchased it at the hotel shop. you can get 48 hour passes to. tram stop just round the corner from hotel. number 13 tram. they run every 10 minutes. when you board the tram you scan your pass and when you get off scan it. if you dont the pass expires after half an hour.are passes run out when we were in town so we bought a hour pass off the tram driver. all in all had a good time and would visit this amazing place again.

Room Tip: higher the floor the better
2 Thank debbie499509
Dear debbie499509,

Thank you very much for this wonderful 5 bullet review on tripadvisor! This is a big compliment to the whole Ramada team. I would also like to thank you providing all our future guests with such detailed travel information.

Again, thank you very much for such a lovely review and I do certainly hope to welcome you again in the (near) future!

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is located near the Rembrandt Park (not Rembrandt Plein!), to get to the city center you need to use the tram for about half an hour. The hotel itself is quite nice, our room was very modern, nicely decorated and very comfortable. The view over the city is great! After checking out, we wanted to leave our luggage at the hotel and were told to put it in the luggage room by ourselves. In this room are numerous lockers, where you can store your luggage and secure it with a 4 digit pin code. I found that a bit weird for a 4* Hotel, but everything worked fine.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a spectacular view over Amsterdam!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TeeReeSaa
Dear TeeReeSaa,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us a review on tripadvisor!

The hotel is indeed located right next to the city centre. By tram however, this should only take 12 minutes. In case of any future stay, please ask our receptionists for the quickest way into the center.

The luggage room is indeed an extra service we offer to our guests, with these personal lockers you luggage is safe at all times.

Again, thank you very much for leaving us a review and I hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

My partner took me away to amsterdam for my 24th birthday. We arrived at ramada apollo and was told on arrival that we had been upgraded to a higher level floor due to the fact we had booked & paid for a double bed, and they had no rooms left so we had a room with two single beds that were together so we were ok with that. However the only downfall was paying the 150 on arrival that wasn't made clear but i only knew bout it after reading the reviews. Easy access into the centre tram 13 outside the hotel, people really friendly and always there to help. Floor 17 has amazing views over amsterdam city. Would recommend ramada apollo, and hopefully will return myself in the future. Thank you for an amazing break

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Jodie2490,

Thank you very much fort his wonderful review on tripadvisor! A 5 bullet review is a big compliment to all employees at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

We do indeed ask for a deposit of €150 upon check-in. This is a standard procedure in all 4 star hotels in Amsterdam. I do apologize for the fact that this hasn’t been made clear to you before arrival.

On the other side, I’m very glad to read that you would recommend this hotel and that you might be coming back yourself.