“Surprisingly perfect”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cannes, France
“Surprisingly perfect”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I had to spend a night in Amsterdam and decided last minute to use my Priority Club points in order to book an hotel.
It was short but perfect. I immediately got an upgrade and a room on the last floor. Also got a complementary drink, as well as internet, thanks to my status on the PC program. Personnel was VERY friendly and smiling.
Room was very nice, bathroom also, and above all very clean.
I travel a lot and see a many hotels, but I had to write something positive about this one.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank steevekow
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for posting your experience with us on Tripadvisor. It is wonderful we were still able to surprise an experienced traveller as yourself with our service and the cleanliness of our rooms.

We are grateful for giving us the opportunity to show our appreciation for your loyalty. As a Platinum member of the Priority Club you are our most important guest and it is great to read the provided benefits receive are approved of

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

Ingrid van Veen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I always say the service can always cover up lots of negativities and if everything is wonderful than it can be a cherry on top. The moment I arrived and till I checked out I can't pick on anything sighh lol. Just the small lil things and their patience with me made it all the more pleasant. My room was beautiful and had evrything in it. Breakfast had both hot and cold food also the chef at the counter was wonderful. Was a superb stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will refer your kind words to our breakfast chef; he will be delighted to receive your feedback.

I am also happy to hear our service was the “cherry on top” of your experience rather then a cover up.

Hoping to welcome you back in the future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I was initially apprehensive when I approached this hotel as it is situated in the business district and I was on holiday with my partner but had a brilliant stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone. From a friendly greating at the reception desk and little touches like a call to check we were happy with the room to the comfortable bed and spacious room on the 11th floor with a good view I was delighted with our stay. Considering that it was a little way from the town centre using the tram it was not inconvenient and great staying away from the hussle and bussle. Admittedly we didn't go for the breakfast as 22 euros each did seem excessive and instead tried different places on our journey into town which was more fun and most likely better value. I booked on-line and the site I used told me of the pay on departure city tax that seems common to the hotels in Amsterdam. Overall one of the best stays in a hotel I have had with very helpful and friendly staff. I suggest getting a unlimited travel pass from Central Zuid station as this saved us money on the trams.

Room Tip: I took the top floor corner room as it was the most spacious.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It particularly pleases me to hear that you have experienced our service as friendly, helpful and personal.

We fully understand that a hotel in the business district of Amsterdam might at first create some reservations when staying for leisure purposes. To read these reservations were overcome with the comfort, calm and personal service is great praise for our hotel. Thank you!

I am also happy to inform you that during your next stay you also may purchase an ""I Amsterdam"" card in our hotel. This card gives free access to several museums, public transport and a free canal cruise. It may make your stay even more convenient.

Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

Arrived to receive a very warm and polite welcome and within the first 10 minutes it was clear the staff genuinely wanted to help an please. Another small touch which meant an awful lot was the fact I called reception asking if they had shaving utensils as I had forgotten mine and despite the hotel being busy they had it to my room within 10 minutes. The food in the restaurant was excellent as was the service and if there was one complaint it would be a minor one related to coffee at breakfast, I was tired of tracking the waiter down for a refil. I was actually exhibiting at a trade show at the RAI and position for this is superb as it is close enough to walk to and far enough away to feel like you had left work.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South and for informing us about your stay.

It was a pleasure to read that you received a warm welcome and an efficient check-in by our Front Desk staff and that they were able to provide you with shaving utensils. It is our goal and passion to help our guests accelerate their journey to success.

Thank you as well for pointing us out that there is an area in our restaurant service that still has room for improvement. We sincerely appreciate you for letting us know as it allows us to aim higher and provide even better service.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future and thank you for your review.

Oxford
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here for several nights to attend conference at RAI. Very convenient for Amsterdam Zuid station and trams to city. Very pleasant room. Breakfast is over 22 euros for a mediochre affair, poor choice of cereals, hot food overcooked etc.How can they justify this?
Beware that if you book througfh the hotel website, they add 6% sales tax that is hidden- I complained and was told they will change this. We will see!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South through Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that our location was convenient for you and that the room was up to your preference.

However it was concerning to read your comment about the breakfast and the city tax. We would highly appreciate to get in contact with you to receive some additional feedback about the breakfast and to give you an explanation about the city tax. Please send your details to info.amspc@ihg.com at your earliest convenience.

I look forward hearing from you as this enables us to improve our product and services.

New York
Reviewed 10 October 2012

....., just because I had a wonderful, amazing, great stay at this Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam.
I am not the kind of person to write reviews or comments when I travel. I travel a lot let me tell you. a minimum of 170 nights a year. I have seen excellent hotels and some that are not excellent, to put it in nice words. But this one is amazing. Not fancy or breathtaking, that is not what I look for when I travel. It is just the pure symbiosis of spacious rooms (that are very well maintained, spacious as I had just a standard room, the beds are to die for) and very polite, honest and kind staff. At check in I was warmly welcomed by a very polite young lady (Julia, I believe) she explained everything with a constant smile and even managed to find my priority number. She even told me I was a Platinum member, and right away gave me free Internet and a free drink for at the bar..., what about that?? I loved it. Plus an other staff member brought me to the room and was funny as hell. Never in my life I laughed so much at a check in and enjoyed it so much. Just great staff they have at that hotel. It felt like being among friends.
I went to the bar at one night and it was good too. Steven, a guy with a fancy haircut, was very polite and would make a great barkeeper all over the world. A shame they did not have more international drafts, but hey once in Holland you should drink Heineken anyways.
It was a gift to come back after work and return to the hotel, people greeted me by name, welcomed me as soon as I set a foot into the lobby. One morning I asked for a wake up call, but I was so deep a sleep that I did not hear it, and they even came up to knock at the door, to make sure I would wake up. Once in Singapore they made me miss my flight because of that, but here just great service. The connections to the airport are just perfect, within 10 minutes and a train later you are at the airport. I did not try the gym, but a dude at the bar told me it was brand new. Breakfast was great, all you need not to fancy and will give you a great start into your day. All in all it was great and just fun to stay there. They really have people there that make a difference (I hope the management knows), plus its a nice hotel as well. If I might get a chance to go back to Amsterdam one day, the Crowne Plaza will be my choice......, well this is why I had to write this review....! My first and last I guess, but worth sharing with the world I thought.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Milesandmiles01
Dear valued guest,

It has been an absolute pleasure to read your engaging Tripadvisor review and we are extremely happy that you made the exception to write one this time.

Being a frequent traveller and away from home many nights per year, the ideal situation would be to stay in hotels that give you a homely, comfortable feeling, have well designed rooms and a variety of facilities. But all of that should not necessarily be the formula to a successful stay. That is where staff members can make the difference.

It was therefore fantastic to read your kind and complimentary words about our staff members and that they have been able to make your trip a success and make you feel comfortable at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South.

At the Intercontinental Hotels Group, we believe in “Room to be yourself”. That means that we try to find out how we can find the right personality for the right part of the business and how we can help our employees to develop their potential. We therefore aim to attract social, dynamic and confident people that love to deliver great service so our guests can re-energise and be more productive during their trip. At Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South we are extremely proud to have formed a team of people that carry out this thought.

Thank you once again for writing the review every hotel hopes to receive. It would be an honour and pleasure for us to welcome you as our guest again and to make your stay as memorable as your last stay.

Kiel, Germany
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Crowne Plaza Zuid is an excellent value for money if you consider what hovels you get in the centre for the same rate. Check-in was painless and efficient with very friendly staff, the room and bathroom we spotless. Everything from a minibar to toiletries, ironing board or bath robes can be found in the room. There is a good choice of TV channels as well, if you prefer to stay in at night.
The property is close to the A-10 dual carriage way, so getting there by car is easy. Parking not necessarly, as the hotel charges a whopping €43 per day. On weekends the situation is a bit more relaxed to find free parking as all the office buildings nearby are deserted. There is also an appartment block just south of the hotel, we we parked our car at nil cost.
For getting around you can purchase tram and metro tickets at Amsterdam Zuid station (€7 for 24 hours), which is just a three- minute walk away. The city centre can be reached by tram, metro or bus, which all run regularly.
I can thoroughly recommend staying at Crowne Plaza South, it will definitely be my fisrt choice on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: All room windows seemd to be sound- proof.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear valued guest,

We thank you sincerely for reviewing your stay in Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South on Tripadvisor.

It is wonderful to see that you were content with the price – quality level that we offer and that the staff service and facilities were also at your satisfaction.

Great as well that you discovered the alternative parking possibilities. The municipal parking garage near the hotel indeed charges high amounts, which is unfortunately an inevitable downside of staying in Amsterdam with a car. But luckily the prices in the area around the hotel are of a more moderate level and public transport is arranged very well.

Thank you for recommending us to other travellers and we look forward to your return visit to Amsterdam.