“GOOD FOOD, POOR SERVICE”
Review of Restaurant Anna

Restaurant Anna
Reserve with
Restaurant Anna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were recommended Anna by some Dutch friends and based on this recommendation, I had booked from home (Singapore) a dinner reservation at the restaurant.

Let me shuffle the sequence of events of that dinner, in order to properly explain the experience we had. Dinner itself was pleasant, with choices from an interesting menu. The food, when it came, was of very good quality. The reception that we had when we were received at the restaurant and shown to our table was, however, very unpleasant. The hostess who received us and showed us to our table can be politely described as very frosty and curt. After our meal, when we leaving the restaurant, the same hostess looked past us when we were walking through, as though we did not even exist.

To be fair, the curt and downright hostile behaviour was only shown by this particular hostess. Every one else was friendly and courteous. But her behaviour ruined our otherwise pleasant dining experience.

I would like to recommend Anna's to everyone, but with the lousy treatment dished out by this one particular individual, I hesitate to do this. If you are a glutton for lousy treatment, then this place is for you.

1  Thank BLowLionCity

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We managed to get in even though we didn't have a reservation (it seems you need to book ahead for most restaurants in Amsterdam) and we had a very pleasant meal. The staff were very attentive and helpful and were keen to ensure that they didn't give me anything I shouldn't have as I was six months pregnant at the time. They cooked my steak perfectly (no blood) without overcooking which has been hard to find even in the best places. You can also have a taster menu which, although we were not hungry enough for, did look good. Not cheap but worth it for a special meal.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Anna was a lovely place - nice atmosphere although not as welcoming as Luden. Came across as being quite pretentious and we were expecting big things. I had the scallops as a main course and they were divine - wonderful flavours and just the right amount of food on my plate. I know some other reviewers have complained about portion sizes, but for me personally, it was bang on. The other 3 members of the party had lamb and although they said it was tasty, was not as good as expected. I don't eat lamb so can't comment too much. One of our party sent her lamb back as it wasn't cooked to her liking - a whole new dish was delivered unlike some places I've been where they just pop your meat back on the grill and re serve it up to you. Two courses with a bottle of wine cost 55 Euro per person. Pricey maybe, but this is in the centre of Amsterdam. I would go back no problem.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Anna oozes modernaty and chiqueness when you enter. This is a sophisticated looking restaurant which promises much.

The reality I am sorry to say was far from satisfying as this resturant is all smoke and mirrors.

The food is pretentious and without any depth of understanding of the delicate balances of ingredients and flavours that were used. The portion sizes were ridiculously small, and there was an amuse bouche that was actually was not much bigger than a half penny and was served in a large soup bowl

I querried being charged for bottled water which looked suspiciously like a bottle filled with tap water after I had requested tap water and I was told the kitchen does not have tap water which was news to me.

If you have money to throw away on expensive food produced without much understanding of the craft then this one is for you.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I'd dinner tonight at Anna with 2 friends. We all took the 5 course menu. But, instead of opting for the wine pairing, we ordered a bottle of Cote du Rhone to share.

The food was nice (scallop, cod fish, pork belly, lamb and dessert) and the portions were quite substantial.

Some reviews here complained about the service. But I found it quite ok. The decor is modern and with a high ceiling and good acoustics the restaurant wasn't noisy at all though it's full.

It's a good experience overall particularly in view of the fact that it's my first dinner of my trip to Amsterdam this time.

I'd recommend Anna. But you'd better reserve ahead in order not to get disappointed.