“Fab food, great staff”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 3 November 2013

By far the best meal we've had in all our visits to the city. We opted for the 4 course meal with matching wines and it was a great experience. The portions were exactly right for us. The girl in charge of the wine had amazing knowledge and to impart it in English was very impressive. Would go back in a heart beat.

1  Thank girlfoody

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I've been to Amsterdam loads of times and, being pretty bored of the mediocre food that you tend to find out there (if you haven't done some prior research or been lucky enough to hit upon a decent place), did a bit of looking around on tripadvisor before leaving the UK and came across this place.

We went there on a Wednesday night (we didn't have a reservation, but really should have done - the place was heaving with Dutch locals) and fortunately were seated quickly. I'd seen from the site that the best thing to order was the tasting 4 course menu along with a 4-course wine sampling (they pick the wine for you, serving you by the glass to compliment whatever you may be eating). I can't quite remember all the items we had, but the Lobster Bisque was unbelievably good and all the other courses cooked to a really high standard. I don't really drink white wine, but was perfectly happy to leave them to recommend me something, which, along with the rest of the meal, didn't disappoint.

There's a few reasons why it doesn't get 5 stars from me - they took their time over the courses (you were served one course every 30 ish minutes), which, given the amount of wine we had, probably wasn't a bad idea, however, by the time we got in, ate and left, it must have taken coming up to 2.5 hours which i felt was a little too long. I also wasn't totally happy with my steak, as it had far too much fat on it, but that was me being unlucky rather than any real indication of what the standard was like.

i think the bill came to around Euros 75 each, which, for what we had was very good value for money. if i lived in the Dam, i'd definitely visit this place regularly. It's also located in a more residential part of town, so you get that 'locals vibe' to it, something that's pretty nice after spending the day walking around the city sites with Amsterdam's tourists.

BTW - While you can really go to town and get a 6 course tasting menu, unless you've got a very large appetite, i'd save the money and stick with 4 courses only. That'll be enough for most.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We ate here last night. The service was quite good. The menu is a la carte or you can choose a chef-selected meal option which is either 4 or 6 courses chosen by the chef.

I had the lamb with pumpkin and fava beans although it came with string beans not fava beans and the portion size was tiny! Seriously, it was smaller than an appetizer. My husband had rib-eye which was also very small.

The wine list is extensive. French wines only but some very good choices.

There were 4 desserts to choose from (all cold). My husband had the cheese platter which he liked and I had the chocolate cake which wasn't a cake at all but it was nice.

We were seated next to a crowd of people on a kind of bench seating type thing so it wasn't very personal, and was a bit cramped.

Don't eat here if you are hungry because the portions are so tiny, but do try it if you like French food and don't mind being seated about 3 inches from someone else. We had a la carte but I would suggest the chef's special menu unless you have the appetite of a small bird and don't mind paying 17 euros for a saucer of food.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Now here is a real recommendable place: true hospitality with great food and all for reasonable prices. They serve with a nice concept where dishes are all served in similar size (a good starter), so you can try more. The wines are fabulous, and our host certainly knew what he served.
With our frequent trips to Amsterdam we were surprised to have missed this little gem in the years before. Do go and enjoy!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I had checked out this restaurant based on the reviews here, and it was excellent. We did not have a reservation, but were seated without a problem (weekday). The server(s) were great, very good at knowing wine and pairings. The menu is a bit limited, but we would rather have fewer excellent selections than pages of bad ones. The servers did a wonderful job of discussing the wine origin, production, and mouth. This is one of those locations that could easily be pretentious or snobby (if in France, for example), but we never felt that way. We are not all that familiar with French wines, but the staff certainly knew their wine. My wife had a lamb dish and I chose a beef with foie gras which was exquisite, as was the lamb. The suggested wine pairing with each was wonderful, as well. Very moderately price (each had 3 glasses and a main course for about ~90,00 Eu).

Bottom Line: very good food, great service, one of those "gems" that is not super easy to find, but worth a little effort.

One comment on restaurants in Amsterdam in general: Don't go with the expectations of service on a timeline of an American restaurant; expect the service to be slow - it is supposed to be that way! Eating is an experience, not just a meal. And it is common that you must ask for your bill, as it is anticipated that you will want to sit and have some conversation after your meal. If you want fast food, there are plenty of McD's and Burger Kings...

1  Thank Bill R