“Good Hilton”
Review of Hilton Amsterdam

Hilton Amsterdam
Ranked #40 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Very good hotel and excellent staff. But spend the extra for a junior suite which we really enjoyed. It's not in the centre but tram is nearby and frequent. There is a garden terrace by the canal which is a great place for food and drinks if the sun shines; a nice feature for a city hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Stephen A,

Thank you very much for staying with us and describing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

It is delightful to read that you enjoyed your Junior Suite. The Garden Terrace is indeed a great place for food and drinks, especially during the summer months.

We hope to welcome you back with us in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Amsterdam

Reviewed 24 April 2014

In a big and busy city like Amsterdam the windows should be sound-proof. At the Amsterdam Hilton they are not so you enjoy the street sounds.

The staff that I met could not care less. Poor service and on the bill were unjustified amounts, adding up substantially. I called my Dutch mobile phone to check if it worked. Did not answer it. Price: Over € 3,60 plus a lot mystery amounts of the mini bar.

A receptionist who did not speak Dutch (in Amsterdam?) said: ‘At the Hilton we don’t argue about a few euro’s.’

The rooms are okay but price/quality is far below level.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Simon H

Dear Simon H,

Thank you for leaving a review of Hilton Amsterdam here on TripAdvisor.

We are to sorry to read that you experienced the noise from the streets. Would you be so kind to send us a direct e-mail with the information regarding your stay with us to operations.amsterdam@hilton.com, so that we can update your guest profile. With this information on file, we would be able to assign you a quiet canal view room upon if availability permits.

We hope that, despite this experience, we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Things I liked:
Friendly, helpful staff;
A bit out of the city (but not too far), so no noisy drunks;
Just a short walk to a tram stop into the city (the hotel sells tickets at a slight mark up - but don't bother as you can buy tickets on the tram)
The hotel rents bicycles at reasonable rates

Things I didn't like so much:
Breakfast ridiculously priced - so we self-catered, but..;
The fridge is full of junk food and drinks and if you move them to make space for your stuff, it racks up on your bill. The hotel was good about correcting this, but its a darned nuisance - feels like the hotel is more interested in $$ than the convenience of guests.
The decor in our room was tired and dated.
Wireless internet in the rooms is charged at extortionate rates. I still can't believe there are places that do this. Wireless in the foyer is free.

Overall, it's an adequate hotel, but not quite the style one normally associates with the Hilton brand name. This seems to have escaped management, who try a bit of the price gouging one more usually associates with classier places.

John Lennon fans can go to the 9th floor and gawk at the door of the Presidential suite (902) where he had his bed-in with Yoko Ono in 1969.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel overlooking the canal would probably be better than the front (where...

Dear rabbit83,

Thank you very much for your extensive review of Hilton Amsterdam.

It is a delight to read that you liked our friendly, helpful staff.

Your comment regarding pricing is one that we take seriously. I would like to inform you that Our range of different breakfast offers are available as of €20,-. ISSIMO coffee bar, open on weekdays as of 7 AM, offers a variety of breakfast items but also a breakfast menu which includes coffee, croissant and fresh fruit juice or fruit salad for only €8,-.
Our minibar indeed register the products used to increase efficiency upon checkout. For the inconvenience this has caused you, we would like to offer our apologies.

I wish you are well and hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel over Easter weekend and loved my time there! I have stayed at this hotel before and always find the staff friendly and welcoming. I received an upgrade on check in, it was gratefully appreciated :) the staff at Reception were warm and offered advice on how to get to see the city’s main sites and in the Executive Lounge they even welcomed us even though we were a little late for breakfast and kept the food out a little longer for us.

Great hotel, lovely quiet location backing onto a canal and we enjoyed coffee the following morning on the terrace!

Would definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Sally,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of Hilton Amsterdam!

I really appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge the team and their services. We strive for the best personal and attentive service and I am happy you perceived it that way. Indeed the Executive Lounge has a stunning 360⁰ panoramic view of the City of Amsterdam; A very nice place to enjoy canapés and drinks whilst looking over the city.

I hope to get the chance to meet you during your next visit.

Best regards,

Hotel manager

Reviewed 22 April 2014

what I like about this hotel is that it is in a more quiet area but it's still easy to get downtown..at the same time the rooms are spacious (especially according to Amsterdam standard), you have all the amenities you look for in a hotel of this type, the service is discreet but attentive, the bar and the restaurant are expensive but very good quality and the wonderful garden alongside one of the canals compensates for the building itself (which is an architectonic disaster from nowadays perspective)...overall another pleasant experience

Room Tip: ask for a room with canal view on a higher floor...the view over the city
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Enema2014,

Thank you for writing a review about Hilton Amsterdam!

I am glad to hear to you enjoyed your last stay with us. The distinctive V-shape of the hotel is centred on the apex of the Apollolaan and the Minervalaan, the two main roads of the South area of Amsterdam, designed by Berlage. Berlage’s axis runs through the lobby of the hotel and ends at the canal. The used architecture in this area is the so-called “Amsterdam School”. Clearly we fully respect your opinion and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hotel itself was beautiful , very clean elegant nice rooms , there is a bar that looks out over the canal that although slightly expensive is worth having a few drinks in or some food. The service was excellent as in all Hilton Hotels. It was the nicest Hotel that I saw in Amsterdam. My only complaint in regards to this hotel was the executive services , the room was not nice at all, very small no where to plug your lap top in and work just dining tables . It also wasnt clean I had to go to the middle of the pile to find a clean plate , the glasses were dirty and had a smell to them and the service was poor . It is a real shame as have always used the executive rooms before at Hilton and they are usually well worth the money.I would recommend a stay at the Hilton but don’t bother paying the extra for the executive.

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your review of Hilton Amsterdam.

It is very good to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us. Our Garden Terrace with a theatre view over the canal and the garden is an ideal location to relax, enjoy the sun and recover from the day! I thank you for the precise feedback given about the executive lounge. I have immediately taken action to ensure that the level of service remains of high standards. I am sorry we did not explain that the plugs are integrated in the desk.

I hope to have the chance to meet you personally during your next visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at The Hilton for 3 nights over the Easter weekend. I found the hotel to be very nice overall. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we received a very warm welcome by the reception staff. They also provided us with a map of the city and explained how to get to the attractions we wanted to visit. The hotel is located a little way out from the centre of Amsterdam but its close to tram stops for a short ride to the centre or about a 30 min walk in. We did not eat at the hotel so I can't comment on whether the food is nice but I would imagine it is as the hotel is of a very high standard. The rooms were clean and spacious. My only criticism would be that I found the bed to be very uncomfortable, but other than that everything was great. The museum area is only a short walk away and also Vondel Park is close by too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Globbe-Trotter200,

Thank you for your great review of the Hilton Amsterdam.

I am happy that you enjoyed your Easter weekend with us. I have shared you positive comment with the team and they were proud that their hard work is acknowledged. Thanks to your feedback we can constantly improve our services and facilities.

I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.