“A disappointing second visit...”
Review of Hilton Amsterdam

Hilton Amsterdam
Ranked #41 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A disappointing second visit...”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of my relocation package to the Netherlands, prior to moving into my apartment. I chose the Hilton as it was in the area I wanted to live in as an expat (South) and I had visited once before.

This time the hotel disappointed me. It was very noisy the first night with drunk people arriving back at 1am and shouting. The walls seemed paper thin. The hotel charges 25 euros per day for wifi, which did not work well and certainly not well enough to stream anything.

On the second morning I decided to use the gym. There is an additional charge of 15 euros for each visit. The running machine kept cutting out after 1 minute, so I asked the staff to verify I was using it correctly (which I was). I tried a second machine, which also didn't work properly. At that point I gave up.

After two days I asked my company to move me to a different hotel as I was fed up and felt it was not good value. I had a great time at the Movenpick for the remainder of my time staying in hotels, prior to moving into my own place.

I can't comment on the food / beverages as I did not eat there (and breakfast was not included in my rate).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank woganmog
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Woganmog,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not fully met during your stay. I have followed up with the Personal Health Club; please accept my sincere apologies. Thanks to your feedback we have been able to identify and solve the issue. I have personally made note of your comments regarding the Wi-Fi. Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas including the restaurant and bar. Please feel free to contact me personally for any questions you may have.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The Hilton was a wonderful place to stay and I would highly recommend it. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. The rooms were lovely and a canal view was a real bonus.
This hotel is easy to access from the airport cups train and tram, and valise enough to the city centre, without being located right at the heart. Thank you to everyone who made our stay special.

Room Tip: A canal view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Katie L,

Thank you for your review about Hilton Amsterdam.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your recommendation means a lot to us and for that I want to thank you. The easy accessibility of our hotel is one of the strong points. Tram line 5, 24, and 16 depart just behind the hotel and take you directly in to the city centre. I have personally thanked the team for their efforts!

I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Was completely blown away by this hotel, its grounds and the staff and service during my stay!

The hotel is absolutely beautiful on the inside, there are beautiful bars that look out onto the canals, and it is very grande. We got upgraded into deluxe rooms with views which were spacious and had a beautiful view. i loved waking up every morning and just staring out the window.

What really made this trip special was the staff. The lovely man at the concierge desk helped my friends and i plan our whole stay while in Amsterdam and gave us so many tips and tricks to help with all the museums and transport. Everyday he would greet us as we came back and asked us how our day was and how the museums were that we planned to go to that day, i loved that he took the time to remember us and our plans.

The lovely host at breakfast was also very lovely! the whole breakfast experience was excellent! it is a beautiful restaurant with a fireplace which was so nice to sit by in the early morning. Every day she would sit us at the same table right near the fire place and even remembered my coffee order which she created special for me. I wanted to have a mocha, not sure if they actually make these in Europe as not many people knew what they were. I think they created this delicious drink that had nutella in it. it was fantastic!
The waffles on the buffet were even better than the waffles i got in belgium!

Overall i was just can't possibly describe in words how happy i was with this Hilton. Definitely the best hilton i have ever stayed in throughout Europe.
I hope that i can stay here again in the future

Room Tip: Room with a view, will just make your day
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Parismeow,

Thank you for your very detail and wonderful review about Hilton Amsterdam!

It fills me with pride to hear how you have experienced your stay. I have personally informed the team about your lovely comments and they were more than happy to hear that their hard work is recognized. At Hilton Amsterdam we create a home away from home and I am glad that our hotel satisfied you. The view and location of our hotel are one of our unique points. You are able to see the whole city of Amsterdam and visit many attractions within walking distance. Thank you once again for your amazing review!

I hope to welcome you again in the near future and wish you all the best.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed in the Amsterdam Hilton for 3 nights and had a fabulous experience. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful but Sofia and her team in the bar and outdoor patio deserve a special commendation. They provided us with consistently good service and food and made our stay at the Hilton a memorable and happy one. Well done Sophia and thank you for sharing you beautiful city with us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side look out on the canal
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jewel S
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Jewel S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

I have personally thanked Sofia and her team for the special comments regarding their service. They are very happy to hear that their hard work is acknowledged. Indeed our Garden Terrace provides stunning view over the canal and the garden. I hope that you will return soon and see all that the City of Amsterdam has to offer. Our concierge is more than happy to provide you with all the information you would require.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I suggest you to visit this hotel and have a drink in the executive lounge at 10th floor where you have a 360 degree panoramic view of Amsterdam. Located on the south of the city very close to Vondelpark where the runners have 3,3 km jogging route.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fabio F
Dear Fabio F,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your last stay.

I am glad to hear that you liked the amazing 360⁰ panoramic view from our Executive Lounge. The location of the hotel is very central indeed and you can reach the Museum District and the Vondelpark within 10 minutes walking distance. I would also recommend the Garden Terrace on which you have a more close up view of the canal and our beautiful garden.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 May 2014

3rd time I stayed in this hotel durig the last 4 months. Every time true excellence! And even more. Looking forward to the next stay in your hotel and I promiss this will be soon! This hotel inlc beautiful garden, its perfect location and its wonderful crew is worth visiting!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Nicolle V,

Thank you again for your great reply about Hilton Amsterdam!

I feel honoured that you are so loyal to our hotel and that you again have taken the time to write a review! I have shared your positive comments with the whole team. They were glad to hear their efforts are acknowledged. Indeed our garden is beautiful and it is the perfect location to enjoy, relax and have a cold drink at the canal.

I hope to get the chance to meet you during your next visit.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in Hilton Amsterdam 3 days for a conference. The overall feeling I have is that they try to suck the last euro from your pocket. And I was glad that my company paid for my stay otherwise I would be really disappointed.
Apart from the expensive price of the room you have to pay extra for breakfast (19 Euros per person a day) and internet access in your room (25 Euros a day). Others said that there was also an extra fee for hotel guests to use the gym (about 20 Euros I think).These are usually included in the room charge in other hotels.
Staff at the reception was not very kind and did not give us proper and complete information (e.g. about Hilton voucher for taxi that would ensure us regular price, free internet access in a room for conference guests).
Hotel is in a quiet location but there are no restaurants or bars nearby. You have to walk approx 10 minutes to reach one. Hotel is relatively close to Museumsplein - about 20 minutes walk, or 2 stations by tram.
Room was clean and comfortable with nice view of the canal. Complimentary tea and coffee in the room.
I will not come again to this hotel. I would rather stay in a hotel where you can enjoy same comfortable stay without the impression of being ripped off.

Room Tip: room with view over canal
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank geeg15
Dear Geeg15,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your last stay with us!

We would like to offer our sincere apology for the way you have experienced your stay. Our range of different breakfast offers are available as of €20,-. ISSIMO coffee bar, open on weekdays as of 7 AM, offers a variety of breakfast items but also a breakfast menu which includes coffee, croissant and fresh fruit juice or fruit salad for only €8,-.

Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas including Roberto’s restaurant and Half Moon Lounge. Our apologies if the information was not properly communicated. I have immediately shared your feedback regarding the way you have experienced the service from our front desk team. Our hotel is indeed located in the upscale residential area of Amsterdam. The main advantage is that we are easily accessible by public transport and car and only 10 minutes walking distance from the museum district. Tram lines 16, 24, and 5 take you in to the city centre within 10 minutes and are located just behind the hotel. Our concierge is more than happy to provide you with all the information regarding restaurants and bars located nearby.

We truly hope to get the chance to welcome you back in the near future. Feel free to contact me directly for all of the questions you may have.