“Amazing Gardens”

Ranked #41 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Amazing Gardens”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I never actually stayed here but wanted to visit as it's were John and Yoko had their famous bed-in back in 1969, as the Vietnam War raged. It's an amazing hotel - at the rear there is an outside bar that overlooks beautiful manicured grounds that run down to the edge of a canal. It's a sublime location for an afternoon aperitif and far far from the madding crowds of downtown Amsterdam. Even if you're not staying in the hotel it's a must visit for rock history fans and a wonderful place to just relax and chill.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick C
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Patrick C,

Thank you for your fantastic review of Hilton Amsterdam!

The world famous John & Yoko Suite is one of our most spectacular suites; it has a great story behind it. Based on availability our concierge is more than happy to go give you a tour of this magnificent suite. The theatre view of the Garden Terrace is one of the best places in Amsterdam to enjoy afternoon drinks and relax in the sun.

I hope to get the chance to meet you during your next visit.

Hilton Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location of this hotel is about a 45-60 walk from the Dam, which is a bit of a hike. However, the tram is close by and gets you into the city quickly. The location is otherwise great, with restaurants not too far away near the museumplein. The staff are absolutely the top, as is the breakfast - a super hotel. The downfall is the price of drinks at the bar, horribly expensive - better to get a bottle of wine at the nearby Albert Heijn and have a drink in your room. Wi-Fi is free in the lobby/lounge areas so no need to pay for wi-fi in your room. A great hotel for groups.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side, overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear JCMCannon,

Thank you for your review regarding Hilton Amsterdam!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. As you mentioned the old city centre can be easily reached by tram 16 which departs right behind hotel. The museum district is just 10 minutes walk from the hotel, where you can enjoy beautiful art pieces in the Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh museum. I have personally thanked the team for their success to make you stay more comfortable.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a great stay here - the property had the layout of a 1970s hotel but it has been updated throughout. You can just see it in things like the elevators which are a bit slow. The rooms are good and we had a good view of the canal and marina at the back. The executive lounge on the top floor is worth a visit as it has great views.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear TravelAddictUK

Thank you for your great review of Hilton Amsterdam.

I am happy to hear that you had a great stay with our hotel. The architectural structure of the building is iconic for that time. It is also officially listed as a young monument by the Dutch national monuments organisation. This hotel had the pleasure to host the world-famous bed-in for peace in 1969. The John & Yoko suits is truly an oasis of peace, based upon availability you can always get a tour by our concierge.

I hope to get the chance to personally meet you during your next visit.

Odiham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had a very poor experience here, mainly driven by high expectations I had for the price of the stay. Wifi was an extra cost at €25 a night, though free in the atrium this is of no use for business customers. If you are looking for a hotel in the area I would suggest looking close by at some of the less familiar named hotel for a third of the price you will get wifi, free bike hire and breakfast - and I'm talking €100 vs the late two hundreds charged at the Hilton.
The receptionists were average at best and my highlight of the stay was the bar staff - good humoured and great service. Perhaps the rest of the hotel team could learn a thing or two from them. Maybe clear...but I won't be back and if I visit the RAI again I will know to look at the other options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal at the back of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AlessioColavecchio, Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Mark R,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hilton Amsterdam.

My apologies that your expectations were not met during your last stay with us. As you mentioned the Wi-Fi is complimentary in the public areas including Roberto’s restaurant and Half Moon Lounge. Might we have the opportunity to welcome you again then I would like to inform you about our business centre, where you have the possibility to use one of the computers or find a quiet working area. I have personally shared your positive comments with the bar team and they were honoured that they were specially mentioned in your review.

I wish you all the best and hope to welcome you again with us.

Greetings,

Cupertino, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Amsterdam Hilton at the end of our vacation. The hotel is located in a nice quite neighborhood a short walk form the cit center and museum (the Rijks and Van Gogh). There are also several nice restaurants and cafes nearby. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear WJ_cox

What a great review about the Hilton Amsterdam, thank you!

I am happy that you took the time to acknowledge our team members and their efforts to deliver personal and attentive service. The museum district is on only 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel. In addition to that Hilton Amsterdam is surrounded by several bars and restaurants as you mention. Did you know that in addition to the world famous John & Yoko suite we also have a themed Van Gogh room inspired by the ‘Sterrenacht’ (The Starry Night). We are very proud and would like to show it to you during your next visit.

I hope to get the opportunity to meet you again in the near future.

Greetings,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our family stayed here over the Easter weekend and left with very mixed feelings about this hotel.

It is nice to stay somewhere a bit out of the Centre but close enough to walk where you want to go or jump on a tram. It is certainly a quieter location with some pretty views. The staff were lovely to the kids and they enjoyed their chocolate eggs!

But our adjoining rooms felt a bit tired and the beds were possibly the most uncomfortable we have ever had the misfortune to sleep on. They were like camp beds. Breakfast was always a bit manic and there was never enough fresh fruit. We ate in the restaurant one evening and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and wine.

So a bit of a mixed bag for us.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you for your nice words and fantastic feedback about Hilton Amsterdam.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is located near all facilities you might need. Tram line 16, which departs behind the hotel, takes you right into the City centre. Tickets can be purchased in the tram. Please ensure you carry some change. If you plan to travel for more than an hour I would advise to purchase a 24H ticket at our concierge desk. I have thanked the team personally for the effort they have taken to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Your feedback regarding the bed and the breakfast helps us to constantly improve our services and facilities. The team of Roberto’s restaurant was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our “Pura Cucina Italiana”.

I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Hotel manager
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of my relocation package to the Netherlands, prior to moving into my apartment. I chose the Hilton as it was in the area I wanted to live in as an expat (South) and I had visited once before.

This time the hotel disappointed me. It was very noisy the first night with drunk people arriving back at 1am and shouting. The walls seemed paper thin. The hotel charges 25 euros per day for wifi, which did not work well and certainly not well enough to stream anything.

On the second morning I decided to use the gym. There is an additional charge of 15 euros for each visit. The running machine kept cutting out after 1 minute, so I asked the staff to verify I was using it correctly (which I was). I tried a second machine, which also didn't work properly. At that point I gave up.

After two days I asked my company to move me to a different hotel as I was fed up and felt it was not good value. I had a great time at the Movenpick for the remainder of my time staying in hotels, prior to moving into my own place.

I can't comment on the food / beverages as I did not eat there (and breakfast was not included in my rate).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank woganmog
Dear Woganmog,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not fully met during your stay. I have followed up with the Personal Health Club; please accept my sincere apologies. Thanks to your feedback we have been able to identify and solve the issue. I have personally made note of your comments regarding the Wi-Fi. Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas including the restaurant and bar. Please feel free to contact me personally for any questions you may have.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you again.