“Tea Lovers Paradise”

Price range: US$12 - US$55
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Formocha is a delightful little tea shop on the Brouwersgracht where you can find and taste the most interesting teas from China.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I never liked tea all that much. Quite to the contrary actually, I tried to stay away from the stuff and that worked out quite well until I went to Formocha and tasted the teas that Amanda has on offer. From that point on I was sold. I studied tea, bought the right kit and started tasting teas all over the world. My wife and I visited a very famous teashop in Paris, we shopped in Singapore, we went to China and to Taiwan, but after all this tasting and testing Amanda's Alishan and her Dung Ding remain our favourites.
Amanda is very helpful and knowledgeable and will tell you all you need to know about the proper preparation, which teas get better over time and which ones are short lived. In short: the perfect one stop shop for those who like quality and service.
Please note: Formocha only sells the real stuff. If you want fruit tea, or other stuff that is not tea at all, go elsewhere. If you want the best teas Taiwan and China have to offer, this is your address.

1  Thank Wiebe M
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Great tea and the unique personality and knowledge of the owner makes this a great place for the tea connaisseur!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stumbled upon this delightful tea shop while biking through the Jordaan in Amsterdam. Through my frequent travels in Asia I have become interested in "real", traditional tea, not the kind you usually find on the shelves of your local supermarket and I was surprised to find a place like this in Europe. The shop sells premium teas, some great oolongs, for instance, and the owner was really nice and she really knew what she was talking about. I'll definitely stop by next time I get to Amsterdam :-).

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Most frequently, when entering a tea store, one is overwhelmed with a toxic whiff of chemical fragrances added to a low quality product. This is not the case at Formocha!

This refined store only stocks pure tea of the highest quality - only loose tea leaves: no fragrances added, no additives. You only can smell the tea!

The simple, yet elegant decor and the excellent service give this establishment a serene atmosphere - an oasis where to find tranquillity. Such a place, and such teas, are very hard to find, in Europe.

1  Thank Paolo1900