“Amsterdam... is a must”

NH Carlton Amsterdam
Ranked #240 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 November 2012

NH Carlton, Amsterdam is a hotel in a centre of Amsterdam, with a great location overlooking a floral market, very close to Rembrandtplein, good walking connection with famous Leidsepleine, Dam... The rooms are small, not so clean, but we were out all days, so , it was not so important... You have coffee/tea kettler in the room, wi-fi in the lobby area, cafeteria in the Hotel. I have stayed in much more exclusive and expensive hotels, yet, I fell in love with AMSTERDAM, so the hotel was the last thing on my mind... I have comfy mattresses at home, I don't have Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, I don't have happy, shiny people all over the place (it was the Queen's Day and celebration all over), I don't have canal with little coffee shops... We have room without meal, and it was great decision, because all around the hotel you have so many options.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sladge
There are newer reviews for NH Carlton Amsterdam

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Simply put one of the worst room I've have experienced. The marble basin had a big frontal piece broken and the brilliant solution was...putting some glue on it and attaching it back!
The heater near the shower leaked and was completely rusted, the door dirty, room furniture old and decaying. That said my room was priced at nearly 150 euros per night.

The last morning, as a farewell gift, I asked for a taxi at the reception and was told "Please stay inside we will tell you when it arrives". It was cold outside, what a nice thought...until, after 20 minutes and being late for my appointment, I discovered my taxi had not been reserved to me but could be freely highjacked (as it eventually happened) by other customers outside.

Shame on them.

Room Tip: Avoid room 512
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TonyBItaly
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Hotel has a great location, but service and standard does not match the price we had to pay for a hotel room that was nothing but ok.

WLAN didn’t work and breakfast turned out to be twice the price we signed up for when we checked in – still the front desk staff at check-out didn’t budge and claimed that the misunderstanding was on us. That’s just too unprofessional…

We had a tired double room with a back yard view. If you’re staying here – ac. If you have a choice however – spend your money on a hotel that appreciates its guests more that the NH Carlton in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We had a tired double room with a back yard view, quiet but boring. If you’re staying here – ask for...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank larsvedoy
Reviewed 27 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed in NH carlton when its name was Jolly Carlton Hotel in 1997.
Now again, I Stayed in NH Carlton Amsterdam to get close to flower market as its location is attached to the flower market. No Bell boy helped me take our luggages to my room on the 6th floor, I brought 4 big luggages. I has an executive room, The bed (mattres) was not comfortable at all, after spending 3 nights in NH carlton, every morning I woke up with the backache. they might have been using the old mattres. The air conditioner was not working well, it was hot in the room. The location is perfect, surrounded by restaurant, cafe, supermarket, tram stop, kalverstraat etc. The wifi was free, the acces code was provided freely on the desk in the lobby are, everyone can easily take one, but the speed was slow.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brahmana_Askandar
Reviewed 16 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 October 2012

On the plus side, the hotel is very centrally located next to the famous flower market and to the main shopping street and just a couple of minutes' walk to Rembrandt Square. My room was on the 7th floor so I had a nice view and was not disturbed by the street noise. Free wi-fi is now available in the hotel rooms as well as in the lobby - a password is valid for 24 hours. It was a bit slow but that could have been due to many people using it at night and in the morning.

The downside was that the furnishings were a bit dated. The white curtains looked dusty. The cleaning service emptied the rubbish bins and made the beds daily but left the bathtub and sink uncleaned some of the days.

I did not try their breakfast - there are lots of cafes in the area where you can have breakfast for less than 15 euros, which is what the hotel charges for it.

Room Tip: Go for an upgraded room on the top floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business