“Great Hotel, Fantastic Location, Wonderful Service!”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We were fortunate enough to spend 4 days at The Toren - we booked the Royal Suite and were certainly not disappointed as was extremely classy indeed.....thoroughly recommend this room for romance!
We were warmly welcomed by the professional and friendly staff, from Marina on reception who was so informative and helpful, along with the guys at the bar, Sebastion, Gehr & Dirk, who helped make our stay so much more enjoyable and relaxing.
We'll be back at this amazing hotel for sure!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,698)

Reviewed 1 July 2011

Had a beautiful couple of days at this gorgeous hotel. Location is just perfect, in a quiet canal area. Room was luxurious and the bed and pillows were so comfortable. The staff were really helpful, nothing was too much trouble. They advised us which area to go for dinner and their advice was perfect! We stayed in room 404 in which the toilet and shower are quite small. If you are on the large side, you will have problems getting through the shower door! Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

My very 1st trip to Amsterdam I was lucky enough to stay in The Toren - thanks to the reveiews I read on Tripadvisor. I was NOT dissappointed at all. My elderly mom accompanied me on this business trip and how glad I was that I made a booking here. Not only did I love the oppulant decor, but again the staff went out of their way to assist us with luggage, extra bedding, a room on the lower level - all to accomodate my mom that is that all that agile anymore. The lounge (which doubles up as the breakfast area and bar is quite something. I felt lost in an era of Baroque oppulance and grandeur - I loved it. The rooms were beaturifully decorated, with plush towels, a spa bath and down bedding. The hotel is within VERY easy walking distance of all the major Amsterdam attractions. It is surrounded by many lovely restaurants. Right behind the Anne Frank House (a must see) and close to all the public transport stops. Although one of the claims ot fame is being situated in the "Nege straatjes"area, I personally found THAT to be overrated. If your time is limited, you can skip this and rather visit the many other fantastic sights in the area. I also found this hotel to be very good value for money ito European standards. The breakfast every morning was something short of a continental FEAST! And do treat yourself to a traditional Dutch meal at De Roode Kombuis"just down the road from the hotel. The best stamppot and red wine I've had after a LONG exhausting trip.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs! Bear in mind if you are not mobile
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JolizeSheri
Reviewed 17 June 2011

this hotel was a fantastic experience! My husband and I came to Amsterdam for the first time and had no idea what to expect. Upon arrival at The Toren, the receptionist immediately welcomed us and advised they would be available to fulfill all our needs. These were not just words, they stood behind this throughout our stay...... from booking tours for us to providing a list of recommended restaurants in the city to recommending the ins and outs of the city.
They have a lovely breakfast bar in the beautiful sitting area of the hotel. There is no restaurant in the hotel but they work closely with the french restaurant next door for all room service needs.
Our room was a little small but they accomodated us immediately when we asked to upgrade to a larger room. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the canal in front of the hotel. The hotel is extremely clean and the decor is absolutely beautiful.

The beds were the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in at a hotel. I have severe back issues and these beds were sheer heaven. We both slept like babies.

The hotel is close enough to the city center, within walking distance, yet far enough to not be disturbed by any night life noise. We were never disturbed by any outside noise.

The general hotel staff was very helpful and responded immediately to any and all needs.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is not cheap but it depends on your needs when away from home. We prefer luxury and a homey atmosphere. This was the place!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel have a great view.
3  Thank rhorgan
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had a great time in Amsterdam, and staying at Te Toren really made a difference! We had seen hotelsl near The Dam Square and other famous places, but The Toren's location was just perfect, on the canal near Anne Frank's house, and walking distance from the places one wants to visit. The staff is the best, very helpful, friendly people who did anything we needed to make our stay better. We definitely recommend!

Reviewed 8 June 2011

Due to a necessary stopover in Amsterdam to transfer planes, we decided to extend our stay three nights. Based on the reviews we read on tripadvisor, we decided to book our stay at the Toren. We wanted to be within walking distance of many of the sites, but in a quiet neighborhood, so we could sleep at night. The room we got was small, but then we expected that. It was clean and tastefully appointed - the bed was very comfortable. The only problem was that since I was suffering from jet lag I had trouble sleeping a couple of nights and could hear the chimes from Westerkerk (I think) faintly in the distance - this was my problem though and not the hotel's. The hotel itself had so much character, unlike the bigger chain hotels-loved the decor in the breakfast room. Breakfast buffet was included with our room and we thought it was well worth it. The front desk also had very good suggestions for dinner and were generally very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1TravelingCanuck
Reviewed 30 May 2011

For us as first-time visitors, Amsterdam was a city of surprises: the grid of canals, the throngs of bicycles, the cafes and restaurants scattered throughout, the honest directness of its people.

The Toren was for us the perfect place to discover this beautiful city. The location was fantastic, the room was cozy but comfortable, and the staff was truly friendly, not just officially polite: one of our many pleasures during our visit was sharing a drink and conversation with two hotel staffers after their working hours.

Our stay at The Toren helped make our first Amsterdam visit absolutely outstanding. We don't know when we'll return - but when we do, we'll definitely be staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple