“Lovely hotel, but with a few caveats”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Beautiful hotel, great location, wonderful staff. But, there are some things you should be aware of. First, there are some tiny, tiny rooms. We booked a standard double, which is bigger than the small double, so I figured it would be ok. Wrong. I'm used to small hotel rooms, but this could not fit two people and two suitcases. It was a very pretty room, but we should have booked a bigger one. Second, it was dark, I mean, if you drop an earring on the floor, you can't find it, dark. So, bring a flashlight. That said, it was a lovely hotel, and I would totally stay there again, I would just book a bigger room (I already had a flashlight with me).

1  Thank BeatrixB
Write a ReviewReviews (2,697)

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We booked this hotel based on other Trip Advisor reviews, as we were looking for somewhere with a 'not so over the top' classiness about it that would smack of romance, old world charm and have warm and caring staff who would treat us like people. In short...we found it. We will gladly return next time we are in Amsterdam and very highly recommend it if you want a place that is intimate and makes you feel ever so welcome from the second you step inside the foyer. Whilst the room we had was sensational (delux with the whirl pool), the decor was to die for, and the bed was extra comfortable, the staff really added to this place. They weren't over the top nor superficial...they were just terrific people with warm smiles and only too willing to help with anything you may need without being intrusive...very important for romantic weekends away! We stayed here over four nights, and experienced tasty breakfasts, apero's in the classy bar and best of all, experienced a consistently high level of service.

Room Tip: We stayed on the canal side of the building and didn't experience any noise or issues as such...
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Between the great Trip Advisor reviews and Rick Steves' recommendations, my husband and I decided to splurge on The Toren for our recent trip to Amsterdam. Everyone was right about the attentiveness of the staff, the great location, the nice breakfast, and the rooms were sumptuous and spotless and very quiet.
Now, I've never thought of myself as an uptight American, but maybe I am more than I realized. So I thought I'd pass on a couple of bits of information in case they weigh into someone else's decision-making.
First of all, the only thing that was enclosed in our room was the toilet. The sink, the bathtub, the shower, were all in the main room. So the only privacy you had was when you were in the toilet closet. This may not matter at all to some people, but it might to others. And they may have rooms that aren't like this but it's worth checking on.
The second thing is they have all of these huge artistic photographs on the wall, and it wasn't until we were lingering over breakfast that we got to looking at them closer. That's when we saw the handcuffs on the blurred arm on a rumpled bed. And as we looked at the other photographs throughout the lobby, they were all along the same theme.
Again, this is just a "heads up" for anyone traveling with children, or for those who like a bit more privacy doing their nightly ablutions -- who might want to be aware of these features of the Toren.

1  Thank LaDonZ
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This hotel deco was wonderful! Very fancy :) This hotel location was perfect! Close enough to walk everywhere. The hotel staff was excellent. They were very helpful. They recommended some great places to eat and/or drink. I would stay here every time in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The canal view room was great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JordanT25
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We spent three days at The Toren. It is a great location and easy to get everywhere. We hired some bikes from the hotel which is worth doing.
The room was luxurious and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The perfect place for a relaxing break. I would come back again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Annieloulou
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Toren. We found the hotel quite easily, and it was not far from Central Station, about a 15 minute walk. Checking in was fast and the receptionist was very friendly. She gave us a city map and showed us all the nearby hot-spots and good restaurants. Then we were shown to our room. 116. It was a basic double room. But it didnt appear basic at all!! A huge comfy bed, with a duvet each, large closet, beautiful ensuite,large bathtub, with Rituals toiletries, Lovely!! As it was my husbands birthday they had left sparkling wine, strawberries and chocolates in the room too!! Nice coffe machine, but tricky to use! Out the back of the hotel is a wonderful patio area with many big couches and chairs to relax in! A great smoking area! The bar is small and quaint. Good selection of drinks. We had breakfast there only one morning, and at 12 euro per person, was overpriced I felt. The Breakfast room is very small, and we took ours outside the back,.There was mostly cereal, fruit, rolls & breads. The hot food was cool, so that wasnt the best! Besides the breakfast though, we had a wonderful time there! Situated on a pretty canal, quiet at night, and friendly, helpful staff. I would stay here again for sure!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mordoty
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed two nights in Amsterdam at a B&B. Then took the train to London for a 10 night stay. On our last day we had to train back to Amsterdam, and for our last night I decided to splurge and stay at the number one recommended hotel in the Rick Steves guidebook, The Toren. Needless to say, we weren't disappointed. From the moment we arrived at the front door, we were treated like Royalty. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer, and the young man who showed us to our room (small room in the annex a few doors down the sidewalk) also was very nice and friendly. They had a lift to the second floor where our room was, nice! All our trip we'd been walking up stairs until now. The room had Air Conditioning, which was fabulous. I needed it as it was so humid in Amsterdam in mid-September! I had booked a room with a Hot Deal rate, and then asked for the 10 percent Rick Steves cash discount, not realizing the Hot Deal was paid in full in advance with a credit card, and was non-refundable. I had also indicated on my reservation that I wanted breakfast, and thought it was charged to my card in advance. The front desk said no, they don't do that anymore. Then they called the room back and mentioned I had asked for the 10 percent Rick Steves cash discount, but I told them it wasn't possible since I had already paid for the room with my credit card in advance. The nice woman said wait a minute, and then came back on and told me they'd give me the discount, so breakfast for my wife and I would only be 6 Euros. I said that would be great! Slept very well that night, the bed was wonderful and the room very quiet, no noise at all from other rooms or even the elevator which was next to the room. iPod dock in the room was wonderful, we could relax listening to our music. The shower was perfect too. Breakfast was delicious, the food selection was super, and the quality was as good as any hotel in the world offers (and we've been to some much more expensive hotels around the world). Then at the end of breakfast we went to the front desk to pay for breakfast, and they said oh, don't worry about the 6 Euros, it's on us and we want you to be happy. Well, I was just amazed, what a great bit of customer service. So, my advice is, if you want to stay at the best hotel in Amsterdam, stay at The Toren. You won't regret it. Next time we come to Amsterdam we will stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are very quiet at night for those who need a good sleep. The church...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple