“Beautiful hotel in excellent location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Miami, Florida
“Beautiful hotel in excellent location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

This hotel is gorgeous. It is in a great location for exploring the city, just around the corner from the Anne Frank House. I stayed in the main building. Our room was on the first floor at the back of the building. The room was beautiful. Rich colors and fabrics. Typical in size to European rooms but absolutely beautiful.
The staff is excellent. I had accidentally booked the wrong date and they were incredibly accommodating when they didn't have to be. We had a fantastic stay and would stay there again in a second.
It is a little pricey, but worth it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ashli F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Toren in November. I was a single female, travelling meeting friends. When the staff knew this they said they would have moved me to be next to them. I stayed in the main hotel building, this is where the reception and dinning area is. The bedroom was fabulous and way over my expectations because when I booked said it was small. There was no noise, my room was at the back, I slept very well, bed was large and extremely comfortable. Bathroom was large, quality fittings and beautiful toiletries were left for me. The breakfast room and food in the morning were excellent, fresh fruit, cereals, bread, pastries, scrambled eggs, bacon. The staff heard me mention toast and they made me some plus a latte, thank you ! The reception staff were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful, booking me a cab to the airport, giving me a map and directions. All in all, good value, a quieter place to stay near the Anne Frank museum. Everything close by. Can't wait to return. Thank you.

Room Tip: I didn't have a canal view room, I had a room at the back which was very quiet, so I can recomme...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Judith W
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife is half Dutch, born in Amsterdam, and I lived there for 6 months
many years ago so we both have great affinity with this beautiful city which
we have visited regularly over the last 20 years.

We have stayed in many good quality hotels, all the usual suspects in fact
including The Pulitzer until we stumbled across Hotel Toren and since then
we would rather not stay anyway else. In many hotels, once inside, you could
be anywhere in the world but not so at Hotel Toren! Perfectly situated
overlooking one of Amsterdam's many canals - Kaisersgracht - close to
Westerkerk, in what we consider to be the most attractive part of Amsterdam,
Hotel Toren is brimming with character, the staff are especially friendly
and the receptionists ever helpful. We would recommend one of the rooms
overlooking the canal.

Glad to share this with anyone visiting Amsterdam.

Simon and Mary Anne Waite

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Simon555London
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Stayed here for a weekend, it's actaully split into 2 buildings one where the main reception was and another a couple of doors down. We had a canal facing room in the top floor of the second building. Bathroom was a little tired, but the bed was very big and exceptionally comfy. The breakfast buffet is in a pretty small room so it's very intimate with the other guests and not much room to move but can't complain about the standard of the food or service.

If you are looking to stay in a period building it's a very safe bet with a desinger twist to the rooms, would recommend to my friends if visiting Amsterdam as it's not in the heaving tourist trap area, but ideally located to be a hub to explore from.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Chose the Toren after reading TripAdvisor reviews. Have stayed at the Pullitzer on the Prinsengracht many times before but it's just a bit too pricey these days, so the Toren seemed like a good alternative - so glad we chose it! As good a location on a canal just round the corner from Anne Franks House - easy access to Central Station on trams from the nearby Westerkerk church, and easy walking access to the nicest parts of Amsterdam (Jordaan and Western Canal Belt).

Friendly receptionists, very helpful hotel staff who took luggage to the room and showed us the hotel. It's quite small but beautifully decorated in dark, rich colours - quite quirky but stylish. We got upgraded to a canal view room which was compact but big enough for one night. Spotless bathroom with a good shower and Rituals amenities (very good quality), Nespresso coffee machine, and welcome chocs (nice touch). A few scuffs and marks on the walls and furniture but they get away with it due to the dark colours - wear and tear could be an issue in the next few years though. Free wi-fi (so why do so many hotels charge for it?). Great bar with a cool barman. Really nice breakfast the next morning in the same bar which is transformed into a breakfast room, and at only €6 (we had an offer) it was great value.

The whole vibe of the hotel is friendly and relaxed but at the same time the staff are unfailingly helpful and attentive - nothing was too much for them. Overall a great stay and we'll definitely return - get a good price and this is a bargain.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Toren for three nights just before Christmas. Even before arriving, I had been impressed with the level of customer service we were recieving; the concierge having secured for us tickets to a nearly sold-out performance of Handel's Messiah at the Concertgebouw for the night we arrived. They also happily accommodated us with an early check-in and a late check-out despite their being fully booked. Their restaurant recommendations were excellent and they were more than happy to call for reservations. I would enthusiastically recommend The Toren to anyone visiting Amsterdam for location, ambiance, and service. I do however agree with a previous reviewer who noted that the hotel may not be the most appropriate for children. Though, when enjoying a romantic stay in the Venice of the North as we were, this may be one of the features that most recommends The Toren to you.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank dytrsi
Birmingham England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday in December and it was everything I would ask for a short city break.
The location was excellent about 15 minute walk from the train station and close to Anne Frank House and the 9 streets boutique shopping. The service was outstanding, all staff were very attentive but also respected privacy being there in the background when needed but without being overbearing.
The room was lovely we stayed in room 101, it was spotlessly clean, a very large bed, jacuzzi bath and separate shower, espresso machine with coffee included in room price and a chargable mini bar.
The bar in the hotel was very cosy and stylish, a nice place to start or end the night.
Overall the hotel was beautifully decorated, clean and cosy, I was very pleased with my stay in this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple