“Wow! just the best bed in Amsterdam!”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Conveniently located and beautifully furnished, this superb canal side boutique hotel will not disappoint.
Over the years we have stayed in numerous world class hotels, but never have we laid our weary bones in a bed as comfortable as the bed in the first floor canal view superior room, that we were fortunate enough to have booked. Complete with a jacuzzi bath, this is as good as it gets in this price range.
The only negative is the lack of restaurant, but with numerous excellent restaurants in the vicinity, don't let that you put you off probably the most comfortable nights sleep you'll ever have!

Room Tip: there is no lift so a first floor room is best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,723)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is conveniently located: 10 minute walk to Dam Square, 20 minute walk to the Central train station, less than 5 minutes to the Anne Frank Museum (buy your tickets online in advance). It's also close to the tram stop. The front desk is exceptional; they helped us re-book our Van Gogh tickets from the previous day that we didn't use due to delayed flight arrival. The breakfast is nice with a selection of deli meats, yogurt, fruit, bread, and fresh juice. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby - this area is known for its dining. The room was nice, reading lights were a nice plus. Outlets to charge phone, etc would have been nice. We plan to come back to Amsterdam and will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was a wonderful experience for me. I loved the decor of the place (a mixture of antique and modern) but the service is what made the place shine. We checked in late ... too late to get a meal anywhere nearby. The bar only has small plates and sandwiches but they opened the kitchen (late) to fix us panninis. I was very grateful and the panninis were very good!

The public areas are beautiful! The website is very accurate. The rooms are a bit small but just as shown... after all this is a canal house... how much room can they find in something this old? We were very pleased. The cupboards in the room had tons of shelf space to unpack in. In particular, I liked the bathroom storage options - very efficient and clean - they give you options which don't leave your "stuff" sitting all over the place.

Above all... the staff was exceptional... whenever you went to them, there were two or three working on whatever you needed! While you were talking to one person, a partner was looking up what you need.

Not only is this place located in a great area (close to the tram and in the Jordan district) the staff is wonderful and the decor is a treat for the senses!

I will definitely want to go back here again!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PamelaattheRiver
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I spent few days selecting nice and well located hotel at a good price and I liked what was said about The Toren, my husband and I had no idea that in reality it is such a discovery! I was staying in different hotels in Amsterdam before but this one is way above 4 stars!

The room was prepayed, but I was glad to know they don't take any extra deposits upon arrival. My last visits another hotels were blocking second full price of staying which was usually unblocked within a month.

I booked the smallest room and immediately received a letter from the staff describing the room and checking if I'm fine with the choice because it is important for them to meet expectations. I have requested for available options and I was offered a bigger room which was great so I confirmed. I must say it was the nicest communication with the hotel ever.

The hotel is located in quite area close to the station and attractions. You can see the hotel is new and fresh. And it's so beautiful inside - soft lights, warm colors, rich details - my best regards to decorator, I took some ideas for my own apartment. I'd call it a boutique hotel.

When we got to our room we were surprised by unexpected upgrade! The room size didn't look small at all, the bed was much bigger than expected. The bathroom was all new with soft towels, bathrobes and slippers.
The room had everything you needed and more! I really didn't expect to have nespresso capsule machine from 4 stars hotel! It was exactly what was needed after long trip and shopping the next day.
The breakfast was another great surprise: everything you can get in 5 stars hotel + much better cheeses, fresh strawberry and variety of fresh juices. We've been even more surprised when at check-out we've been told that it was complimentary as well as waters from the minibar.
The room cleaning was great, the staff was really nice and always ready to help.

Thanks for the stay!

After coming back I received a personal warm letter from Eric and Petra Toren. They really work with passion and you feel it during the stay.

I'm definitely recommending The Toren for romantic couples such as we are.

Room Tip: Book it directly from their web page.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YuliaMos
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Pampered and welcome was the felling of staying in a "Double with Canal View" and I enjoyed every minute of my 3 nights at The Toren. From the soft, generous and beautiful bed to the amazing cocktails in the gorgeous bar...never a dull moment!

Room Tip: ...just around the corner from Anne Frank's house and not far from the wonderful organic market...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mette R
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Having visited Amsterdam many times, I can't think of a hotel that comes close to The Toren. It's perfect for a romantic getaway - All expectations were met. The staff we impeccable. Our room (Bridal suite) was something out of the Palace of Versailles and the breakfast was absolutely delicious. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Bridal Suite AKA Palace of Versailles :)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James W
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Amsterdan was cold but everything about the Toren was warm. The rooms are first rate. We stayed in the Executive Garden Suite - a great value considering the sumptuous accommodations. When you get both Garden Suites (as we did) they'll even open the wall between the living rooms to create one large living room (with two separate bedrooms). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The service was perfect. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I cannot recommend this beautiful boutique hotel more highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business