“Best place to stay in Amsterdam”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great hotel. Wonderful, Quiet location. We walked just about everywhere. Outstanding staff. Beautiful bar for drinks. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. There is so much to experience in Amsterdam and staying at the Toren was a real joy.

Room Tip: We chose the room with whirlpool tub and a door to a small patio.
1  Thank Judith A

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed there for one night recently and found it to be wonderful. The lobby and bar are opulent and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. The room was not massive but more than enough for two with a very comfortable bed and good attention to detail. There was a fridge and coffee making facilities. The bath was big enough for two. The hotel location is very close to Anne Frank House in popular Jordaanes area and walkable from the train station although there are tram stops nearby. You can also do a Canal tour from just round the corner. It was the perfect hotel for a birthday treat, I don't think we could have afforded a whole week there! Well worth a visit.

1  Thank dismantledgrrl
Reviewed 1 June 2014

What stands out is the warm greeting and continuous care and attention from the staff. Nothing is too much trouble! The hotel itself is charming with old-fashioned decor and furnisings in the main rooms but fully modernised bedrooms. Breakfast is top class.The location is on a quiet street overlooking one of the canals.There is a lift for those who find steep stairs a challenge. The owners take a personal interest in their guests and it is clear to me that they set the tone of this superb hotel. I will not look anywhere else when I return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: I stayed in the main hotel and so cannot comment on the annex. The rooms were excellent and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank adspharm
Reviewed 30 May 2014

First visit to Amsterdam. Toren Hotel is first class. Very central location for everything the city has to offer, and only about 15 mins walk from the station.
Helpful and welcoming staff. Clean , comfortable and quiet room. ( Stayed in the main hotel so cannot comment on the annex down the street ).
Booked a hotel deal for 3 nights which included an excellent daily breakfast.
Decor is quite dark but in keeping with this very old canal-side building.
Plenty of umbrellas to borrow, which was handy as it rained every day during our stay.
Hotel felt individual, very much 'part of the city', and a welcome change from multi-national chains.

Room Tip: Probably best to check if room will be in the main hotel, or in an annex building four doors away.
2  Thank bookends_9
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I found the Toren on Tripadvisor and booked two nights during a business conference in Amsterdam. They quickly came back thanking me for the reservation, but warned me about the size of the room - it was one of two "compact" rooms, so they wanted to make sure I knew in advance. Being a good corporate citizen I decide not to upgrade and stay in the less expensive room.

Well, it was small, but it had everything necessary - and who sits in their room when visiting Amsterdam? The room was very clean, the bed was twin size but comfortable and the shower was also small but the large shower head was perfect.

There was a nice continental breakfast in the restaurant with great coffee. The same room doubles as the bar where we had a few late night drinks. It was after closing time, but the staff did not rush us. The bar and restaurant staff were incredibly courteous and helpful. In fact, one of the best features of the hotel are the people that clearly want to make your stay as nice
as possible. They genuinely care about their guest, which makes this little boutique hotel worth coming back to.

The hotel is situated on Keizersgracht which is close enough to central Amsterdam but in a quaint neighbourhood, on a quiet canal and far enough away from the party action. I plan to book a bigger room here or at their sister hotel Sebastian with my family over the summer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank elbon05
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful three-day stay and were well cared for by the great staff in the bar/restaurant and in the reception.

Rooms are of a very high standard as was the attention of the staff.

Location on the Keizersgracht was ideal for exploring the small streets and shops in the old city - a reasonable stroll both to city center and to the Rijks and van Gogh museums.

We will be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The large number of glowing reviews with virtually no complaints seemed a little fishy to me. My husband and I spent three nights in May and I agree that the Toren is in a perfect location. However it is not perfect. We arrived by taxi during a heavy rain. No staff appeared to take in our bags so I legged them up the steps myself. The staff was polite during check in but no more so than most other hotels. We were assigned room 422 in the annex building . I have included a photo of our view of a lot of other hotel room windows. Our bathroom was so small they couldn't even fit the light switch inside. I kept going in only to come back out and close the door to reach the switch so I could go back in . The annex is like being in exile. No friendly staff to greet you
In the morning. My husband has a injury that makes it very difficult to climb stairs. The staff was made aware of this. One day we returned to find the elevator out of order. We had just spoken to the front desk staff, but no one said "please have a drink in the bar while we fix the elevator". They just sent us down the street to climb the vey steep, narrow stairs. I still rated the hotel very good mainly based on the location, the quirky decor and the comfortable, quiet room. I still recommend the Toren, just be aware that it is not as perfect as so many reviews suggest.

Room Tip: If you enjoy interacting with the staff, don't choose the annex.
5  Thank MaryColumbus_Ohio