“The very best in my 70 years”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 December 2008

I wanted to celebrate my 70th birthday by taking my wife and my daughter and her partner for a short trip to Amsterdam for a visit to the Resistance Museum, the Hollandsche Schouwburg and a meal at "Heavenly Mud" (also highly recommended) with old Dutch friends. I wanted the hotel experience to be relaxed, happily sophisticated and memorable, near a reasonable tram line, on a canal and quiet.
I researched dozens - many dozens - of downtown Amsterdam Hotels on the internet, and again and again I found myself coming back to The Toren with its support of apparently sincere and appreciative visitors.
Once I'd taken the plunge and telephoned for a booking, the relaxed and friendly reception was the first in a series of good experiences. The choice was one of the best I've ever made. My party all shared my happiness with this hotel and I very much hope to be able to return for a longer stay in the future.
I unreservedly recommend The Toren, thank the designers who fabricated and sustain its unique environment, selected the quality of furnishings, and also the charming and helpful staff who match the delightful ambience with their generosity.
And its really not at all expensive, compared with so many others, and more than worth what it charges.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,669)

Reviewed 18 December 2008

I booked this hotel because it had quite high ratings on Tripadvisor. The booking .com offered it at 90€ /night which is very cheap for hiring a room in the center of Amsterdam in the middle of the shopping season.

We are very happy that we opted for this hotel. The staff is VERY friendly and helpfull.

The bar is an oasis of style.

Breakfast is great (lots of choice)

Room is not large, but very well decorated.

What we really appreciated, is that we got a full set of Nespresso in our room. Very nice

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Just back from a 4 night stay at the Toren to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I absolutely loved the Toren. The bar/breakfast room is stunning. The staff are the friendliest I have ever encountered in all my travels, so helpful and welcoming. The rooms are a little scuffed around the edges but decorated beautifully, a lovely big bed with lots of cushions, a modern bathroom, a flat screen TV, a coffee maker and a mini bar. The decor was definately to my taste lots of romantic touches and fabulous christmas decorations. The breakfast was simply perfect, a huge selection, fruit salad cheeses meats hot food smoked salmon cereals juices yoghurts etc plus anything else you could wish for prepared by the chef. I would never stay anywhere else in Amsterdam, this is by far my absolute favourite hotel. It is also very convenient about a 10min walk to the Dam. My only negative comment would be the small rooms (ours was a deluxe and still very cramped) but this is typical for Amsterdam and was more than made up for by everything else.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2008

The hotel is unique. Rooms are designed with perfect style. You feel like staying in somebody's home - not in hotel. I tried a dozen hotels in A'DAM - this on is the best. Perfect balance between quite nice street and short distance to everything.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Just back from a 3 night stay in The Toren with my BF. We stayed in a standard double...got a great deal on the hotel website, only 250euro for the 3 nights!! Breakfast wasn't included as we usually sleep in past breakfast when we are away!

loved the look and feel of the hotel...the decor is amazing and really added to the romantic feel of our holiday...they put up the xmas decorations while we were there and they were fab...look at the pic of the bar! The room was small enough but definintely manageable.....bed was sooo comfy and loved all the pillows! Bathroom was spotless with a fantastic power shower and a bath...i'm a bit of a monica when it comes to cleanliness and am very fussy about what hotels we stay in, so was impressed with the overall cleanliness of the entire hotel as well as our room. Rooms were quite warm but air con was available... a mini bar was also in the room but there was enough space to put in our own big bottles of water to keep them cool throughout the night.

The staff were very nice, efficient, our check in was litterally 2 mins, our bags were brought to our room and when we asked for a late checkout on our last day we were allowed to stay until 1pm instead of the usual 11am without any additional charge. They stored our bags afterwards so we could still walk around Amsterdam in comfort until we had to leave for the airport.

The only thing that was missing was an iron in the room!! not sure if an iron is available in the larger rooms....but overall I cannot fault this hotel at all....loved every minute we stayed there.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnaB08
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I booked one night at the toren for me an my fiancee as it was my birthday, from the website and reviews this hotel sounded amazing, and it was.
Upon arrival the staff were extremely friendly helping us in anyway, our luggage was taken upstairs and we were showed our room, it was stunning, spacious clean and tidy with everything you could ever need. i would recommend this hotel to anyone its has to seen the styling and elegance is great.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2008

What could I say? Fantastic. The atmosphere, the location, the kindness, the clearness. Just the room a little bit small, but the bed...ooooh...the bed what a comfort.
Due to the fact that I dont take breakfast, I appreciated the coffee/tea machine in the room, with the "real" espresso (the same I get in my office in Italy).
Everything perfect