“A Gem of a Hotel”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I first came across The Toren while searching the internet for hotels in Amsterdam in preparation for a long overdue holiday. On reviewing the photos on The Toren's site I was immediately taken by the combination of the elegance of the rooms and guest lounge and the modernity of the amenities offered. A map of Amsterdam suggested the hotel was fairly close to the rail station and other attractions so I booked a room with a double jacuzzi for three nights.

On arriving in Amsterdam I discovered The Toren was about a 10 minute walk from the train station and within easy walking distance of all the major sites and attractions. The hotel is located along one of Amsterdam's canals, the exterior very well kept like the neighbouring buildings which provided a great selection of architectural types. Notwithstanding the central location, there was little traffic or noise. The lobby and guest lounge were immaculately clean with a feel of elegance. The staff were, without exception, very pleasant and helpful and appeared genuinely concerned with my comfort. Check-in was a breeze and I was soon ensconced in the the hotel's excellant lounge and bar, tended again by very helpful and friendly staff and supplied not only with some excellant Heineken but a very good selection of wine and champagne.

My room was absolutely beautiful coloured in a striking black and red motif with a very comfortable king sized bed, all the usual amenities, a large jacuzzi and marble walk in shower.

The Toren does not have a restaurant of its own although an excellant breakfast boasting a wide selection of hot and cold items, fruits, cereals etc. is available daily and the hotel does have an arrangement with, if memory serves, two or three local restaurants and limited room service is available.

Anyway, after spending my first night in Amsterdam and enjoying The Toren's hospitality, I completely reorganized my holiday and extended my stay, in large part due to the hotel's comfort, a further 5 nights.

The Toren is a first class hotel at less than first class prices and, in my view, worth every Euro. I am looking forward to my next stay. So, should you find yourself in Amsterdam needing a little pampering and comfort give The Toren a try.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,725)

Reviewed 19 March 2009

After looking at many reviews here and because the hotel offered some excellent low rates for our stay (more than 50% less) we decided to book The Toren. We loved the location which is just three tram stops from Centraal Station (Westermarkt stop) and the staff were all very patient, kind and welcoming. We were happy to have an overnight away from our terrible Paris hotel whose staff were so unwelcoming to us. The hotel is right around the corner from the Anne Frank House and is short (15 minutes) walking distance from the Dam Square, Red Light district, Kalverstraat shopping, the flower market, and more.

We had their buffet breakfast (12 euro/pp) and it was very good. There were pastries, breads, fresh fruit salad, cereals, eggs, ham, sausage, etc.

They offer an in room internet for 8 euro/day not per hour as that Paris hotel we booked. They also have a 20 euro/day combination package including the internet, movies, and games.

Since we there for one night we booked a regular double with bath and shower (Room 116) for a low rate of 115 euro. The room, like the entire hotel, is decorated in black and red something like a boudoir. The hotel is a boutique hotel and while the room size was a bit small it was okay as it had room for a little sofa. The bathroom was extra small yet it was equipped with a very nice bathtub with rainshower and shower curtain. The toiletries were good (Rituals). However, I must say there some minuses with the room. First of all, the a/c is not available and it was a bit warm; the front desk said they could turn off the heat in order for us to get the a/c. We could open the windows but the room overlooked the back of the hotel's interior but had a set of steps that made the room accessible to anyone if they had wanted to enter. The bathroom had just one narrow shelf space so anything more than the two glasses and a couple of small items there was no place to rest one's personal items. The floor is a black smooth granite or tile and there is no rug so the floor gets wet from the small sink where water is easily splashed out of. The bathroom floor is a slight step up from the bedroom floor so one has to remember this or one can easily trip and fall badly. The room lighting is not good for reading also.

But I must say that to me after reading the many mixed hotel reviews for other hotels here The Toren is really a good choice and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paris_1204
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My other half and I were in desperate need of a romantic break together, away from all the stresses of modern life, and The Toren seemed the ideal location to take her on a surprise long weekend (3 nights).

The warm welcome we received echoed the lengths to which the staff will go to ensure a wonderful stay. Without any pretensions, your hosts make you feel comfortable within opulent, though slightly theatrical surroundings. Our room (109), with massive Jacuzzi bath within the room, separate shower and WC along with a delightfully enticing bed, was a pleasure to occupy. The stained glass window added a real sense of history to the room.

Breakfast was a typical continental affair with a good selection and eggs to order were available. Coffee or tea was waiter served. There is no restaurant at the hotel but they do serve a range of snacks / light meals and they can order you in food should you chose, which can be taken in the dinning area or in the privacy of your room. They even have an arrangement with an upmarket Michelin rated French restaurant which is just around the corner to deliver food. We ate out each evening and took the advice of the reception staff on two nights which proved to be spot on (Paso Doble [Tapas] and Long Pura [Indonesian]). The hotel bar is cosy and perfect for enjoying a drink or two! Give the Heineken Extra Cold a try.

The hotel has a good canal side location in the more peaceful part of Amsterdam but yet still within easy walking distance of most places you may wish to visit. Overall, a great stay despite being a bit on the pricey side due to the current poor Sterling v Euro exchange rates. We would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trekmates
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I stayed at the Toren Hotel for a business trip and was very pleased by the service I received. The staff are very welcoming and helpful.

The location is perfect - everything is in walking distance, and they have wonderful restaurants close by.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Went with my boyfriend for a Valentines weekend in Amsterdam. Having read the reviews we decided on The Toren. Upon arrival (at 11am) we were informed our room was not yet ready so we were presented with lots of free drinks! (We were hoping to just drop off our luggage and did not expect our room to be ready until the afternoon- so it was a lovely surprise!) We were shown to our room around 12 and it was beautiful. A lovely whirlpool bath, beautifully decorated and a canal view! We were very impressed! I would definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmilyH25
Reviewed 22 February 2009

It is a little expensive with the current Euro vs Sterling exchange rate; however this is a great hotel. You get the air of luxury from when you first walk in, and it continues when you settle into your room. It is worth paying the extra to secure one of the well equipped rooms.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, instead had a lovely breakfast pancake at Cafe - De Oude wester, Rozengracht 2/Hoek Prinsengracht, 1016 NB Amsterdam.
In the evening, we enjoyed a hidden gem, set back from the road: Manganb Tapas Restaurant and Bar, Rozengracht 106, 1016 NH Amsterdam.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matt_from_nottingham
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Having not been in Amsterdam in over 10 years my wife and I decided to head back for a sneaky mid-week break after a tough few months. Having read a lot of reviews and research I choose the Toren due to its querky design and given Amsterdam is a unique city we wanted to stay in a unique hotel.

Well I can tell you thats what we got. We had booked a Junior Bridal Suite but on arriving we were informed that we were upgraded to their best room - the Garden Suite. This is a real funk little one room villa in the centre of the city - quite an interesting experience.

We really enjoyed our stay except for the work that is going on kicking off at 9am on the first morning we were there. In saying that they seemed to stop doing any work until we woke up the 2nd day at 11am.

Location, staff and rooms are pretty good and while not Ritz Carlton standard I felt there is no better place to stay in a city like Amsterdam.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple