“Charming, memorable, delightful, informal family friendly hotel”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 August 2010

The Toren is the only hotel you need to know if you are staying in Amsterdam! It is centrally located, overlooking one of the many canals. It consists of two beautiful buildings on Keizersgracht. My wife, two young kids and I spent 5 nights / 6 days at the Toren. Everybody we dealt with, were extremely helpful, courteous, polite, efficient and most of all, warm and friendly - from the cleaning staff to the owners. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the whole hotel is totally different from the bland, clinical norm. Service was top class. Food was fantastic, all at value for money. I really mean it when I say my wife and 2 children, aged 5 and 1, would simply not consider anywhere else in Amsterdam. It is a rare place that combines top class professional service, with charm and warmth. We will return to The Toren very soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2010

This is a really great hotel. Located in a nice area of Amsterdam and is within walking distance of everything you need - shops, bars, cafes, museums etc. Great staff service. Would highly recommend this hotel and I will be back there again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

So, when you check in at the Toren, you quickly glance at your reservation to be sure you are not paying 500 euros a night. You do this because the feel of the hotel is very high class, and the staff jump to help you. When you make your way from the reception to your room, you will likely get a tour from one of the young men who will help with your bags (don't forget to tip!). The hotel is modern and relaxed. It looks like a mix between a high-end nightclub and a model agency. But, at the same time, not pretentious.

The room was large, with a decent view. The bathroom was good, if a little small. The staff was very helpful and had plenty of recommendations on restaurants and nightlife.

I will be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed for three nights at the Toren – the best hotel in Amsterdam (and I’ve been there many times)! From the moment I was greeted by the front desk staff to when checking out – the service could not have been more pleasant.

I arrived early (from an overnight transatlantic flight) and went straight to the hotel. The room wasn’t quite ready yet (I wanted to treat myself so chose the Garden Cottage); the previous guests had just checked out, so I stored my luggage and walked around the neighborhood for a bit. The Toren is just a couple of blocks from the Anne Frank House; right on a quiet canal.

Went back to the hotel after about an hour (also found a nice wine store close by), and the room was almost finished, so they suggested I wait in the lounge/bar; which I did. Ordered a beer, and about 15 minutes later they came by with my key and told me the room was ready. I tried to pay for the beer, but they had ‘comped’ it as a little apology; very nice.

The cottage was in the garden and very private, yet just 15 steps to the hotel. The room had a nice-sized sitting area with a monitor and wireless keyboard which came in handy to catch up on e-mails (after a 3-week trip previously). The bed was large and very comfortable. There was also a large 2-person Jacuzzi with power jets and large walk-in shower.

What struck me most about the Toren was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. It came as a (welcomed) surprise. I had grown accustomed to the ‘matter-of-fact’ and dour exchange with staff at other hotels in Amsterdam (Marriott, the Victoria, NH Carlton). The honest friendliness of the entire staff at the Toren would put all the others to shame. My next trip to Amsterdam will be spent at the Toren for this fact.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This hotel deserves all the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor. Nothing negative to report - I will definitely put The Toren at the top of our list for our next visit to Amsterdam. Excellent staff, great location, really comfortable beds in beautiful rooms, no noise from trams, traffic or nightlife and excellent breakfasts.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank demobiles
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We have just returned home from a one night stay at the Toren. What can I say... I spent alot of time researching hotels in Amsterdam as my brother was coming to visit from Australia and wanted to stay somewhere 'nice'. The Toren was better than I could have imagined.
On our arrival we were greeted by friendly staff , and then escorted to the building a few houses away where our room was located while being told some history and information about the hotel.
We stayed in a triple room which was larger than I had expected, there was plenty of room for two large men and myself. The decor was beautiful and the room very clean. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but was not a problem for us.
Breakfast was delicious, so much to choose from. Breakfast is served in the bar which is a very beautiful setting.
A very pleasant experience and will be recommending The Toren to friends and family. We will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We went as a family for 4 nights at the Toren - a family group including two teenage children and an almost octogenarian granny.We were anxious about the mix but the trip was a great success and much of the credit for that belongs to the astonishingly helpful staff.
The rooms were excellent - breakfast was the best we had ever experienced in a hotel - and that was praise indeed from my brother who had come from Australia and is a frequent traveller.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family