“Excellent Hotel and Remarkably Caring Staff”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Thornhill, Canada
“Excellent Hotel and Remarkably Caring Staff”
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Stayed three nights at end of my trip at this wonderful Hotel. Great accomodations but more than that: a wonderful and highly motivated front desk and lounge team at The Toren Hotel!

Besides the friendliness and helpfulness at all times, when I found that my passport had been lost the day before departing back home, the care that was given me, clearly beyond what was expected. The desk staff's (Wendy and the ) patience, understanding and compassion. all the calls made on my behalf to the different museums & places that might have found the passport, calls to Airlines, and their support and guidance. . . the Toren Staff treated this problem as their own.

When I return to Amsterdam, I cannot think of anywhere else I would want to stay!

Beverlee Melamed, Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Arabic first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The best decision we made in planning our trip to Amsterdam was to stay at the Toren. My partner and I stayed there for six nights beginning October 16.
I could go on and on about how beautiful and quaint and charming the place is, and how wonderfully helpful everybody was who works there, but many people have already written about that in this space.
What I liked best, was that after a long day of walking about town, and then dining out, we had this beautiful lounge/cocktail bar to come back to that was open till 1:00 AM.
See the photos for yourself on the website. Here was truly an oasis where one could kick back in luxurious elegance and socialize with fellow travelers. All of us felt so lucky to be staying here.
The bar is presided over by a bartender named Marne ( I hope I got his name right.) Let me tell you, while the Toren is a charming little townshouse, this guy could be working in the most elegant saloon in the grandest five star hotel in Europe. The fantastic cocktails, the cheerful conversation, the feeling you get that your the most valued guest in somebody's house; this is what is was like each evening as we ended one wonderful day after another in the fireplace lit lounge of the Toren.
Bravo to the owners who run a tight ship, to the very helpful front desk attendants and concierge who patiently assisted us in our day to day planning, to the bartender whom I already mentioned, and to all the behind the scenes people who help make the Toren my private little gem in Amsterdam.

Phil Calbi

Southampton, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at The Toren Hotel. Mr. and Mrs. Toren have created a superb gem of a hotel. The decor is over-the-top baroque but with modern touches that make it eclectic as well as appealing. The lighting throughout is atmospheric and really quite romantic. Our room was gorgeous, with high gilded ceilings, comfortable bergere chairs, large windows that we could open on to the garden, a great coffee machine (really some of the best espresso), a handsome and large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and all the amenities, plus plenty of fluffy towels. And of course TV and internet access. The bed was heavenly. We had booked one of the larger rooms, since our agent advised that the regular ones would feel too cramped. I'm glad we did, we loved our room. The hotel is in the Jordaan (one of the most hip parts of the city) on a very beautiful and old canal. A perfect location. I know I am raving, but the best part of the whole experience was the staff. They were the most attentive and helpful I have ever encountered. In the evening upon our return, they would position two comfortable chairs in front of the fire for us in the bar. They made every reservation we needed for dinners and events. The room was immaculate cared for and we never saw anything out of place. At the terrific breakfast in the salon which is magically transformed to a dining room, they replaced strawberries as fast as they were finished, poured coffee before you asked, and made a casual lunch feel intimate and special. I actually cannot think of anything that I can complain about. We had a perfect week and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My wife and I arrived at the Toren expecting a good stay after reading all of the reviews on Tripadvisor. At reception the staff could not have been more helpful. They went through the map of Amsterdam in great detail and nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed in the Garden Cottage and were not disappointed. After being shown a guided tour of the hotel, we were shown to our room.....Wow !! This is the place to stay if you are thinking about celebrating in style. Room was decorated to a very high standard, rich deep colours making it feel so romantic. Having a double jacuzzi in the room topped it off. Also the steam shower was great.

After relaxing with a bottle of champagne, we had a drink in the bar. Once again we received first class service from the bar staff. Drinks were reasonably priced for such an exclusive hotel. This was also where we were served breakfast. For 12 euro's each we found this good value. Buffet style with choices of omelettes on demand, cooked breakfast, ham and cheeses, fresh bread, croissants and pastries, fresh fruit including strawberries, yoghurts, muffins, fresh juices and as much tea and coffee that you could drink. The waiter/waitresses again were excellent.

The position of the hotel is great. As we both liked walking, we did not use public transport once as we found that everything we wanted to see and do was well within walking distance.

Without doubt the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

Thank you so much for the Toren and all of the staff for such an excellent stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I booked at the last minute and this was the least expensive hotel with a 4+ star rating that I could find. I knew I was getting the smallest room they had but since I was traveling alone and was only going to be there 1 night it was no big deal. When I arrived I was very pleased with the location and the charm this little hotel has. Reception was very nice and helpful. The small bar off the lobby is very welcoming and comfortable. Great place for a snack, night cap or just sit and relax with friends. The room was very small ( about the size of a large walk in master bedroom closet) but was perfect for my 1 night and very clean and comfortable.
The location was perfect and I found it easy to walk any where in the center. About a 10-15 min walk to the train station.
I travel through Amsterdam frequently and while I like to stay closer to the train staion this hotel was an excellent back up for me and I would stay again in a minute.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Very comfortable hotel, well located half way between Centraal station and the museum district and while only 10 minutes from Dam square its slightly away from the tourism madness in a nice place on one of the canals.
The staff are exremely well trained, polite and helpful and the rooms are comfortable and stylish.

My only gripe is that there was a construction site next door and we were somewhat disturbed by noise one of the mornings but the staff handled my complaint very well and I could clearly see that the problem was not of their making

1 Thank irishtraveller6708
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Toren for a long weekend and LOVED our time there! Very unique hotel in that it's purposefully decorated 'over the top.' Red velvet walls, shiny black furniture, glittery flower arrangements...You can't help but feel sexy! It's like a classy bordello, if that makes sense! The staff is very friendly- always smiling and saying hello. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job at keeping our room clean each and every day- which was very important since we were traveling with 2 dogs. Location is AWESOME. You're smack dab in the middle of all the districts and can walk EVERYWHERE. Comfiest best we've ever slept in while in Europe. Fridge and tea maker in the room were perks, too. Our only gripe was that the air conditioner didn't work very well- without the windows open, the room was unbearably stuffy. Internet isn't free and there's no parking, but that's the case everywhere you look...DEFINITELY stay at The Toren if you're looking for something classy AND different!

1 Thank eakthomas