“Good location but cramped”

WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #82 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My mother and I had booked a twin room. On arrival, it turned out that the twin room in fact consisted of a double bed with two single mattresses and two quilts on it. We both like our space and this was much too cramped. There was no room for manoeuvre either, as there were fixed bedside tables on both sides. In saying that, the hotel was in a great location and was very clean. Just a pity about the beds.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Seven08
EJBAmsterdam, General Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Seven08,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We have indeed 3 type of rooms: double rooms with 2 twins beds (next to each other), double rooms with a double bed and triple rooms.

I hope we may welcoming you back again soon.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,235)

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Arriving from Japan, my wife and I wanted to stay at a hotel near the Central Station, since we assumed we would be jetlagged and didn't want to spend too much time getting to the hotel. The staff was fine, check in and out were smooth. The rooms well decorated but pretty small. Having seen other peoples' reviews and pictures on T.A. it wasn't a surprise though. Location is the best thing about this hotel. About a 10 minute walk from Amsterdam Central station. Also a few minutes walk to the very nice Joordan district, where we spend quite a bit of time at cafes and on patios by the river. It's located on one of the main arteries of the city with convenient access to tram lines. If location is the most important thing for you, then book this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAME-OH

Dear JAME-OH,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have had a pleasant stay with us.

I hope we may welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The room was very comfortable. I had requested a three bed room for myself anf two daughters and the layout wokrd very well. The location and convenience weer great.

The only downside is the fact that my kids don't eat much breakfast usually which made the hotel breakfast the Euros 12:50 rather uneconomical.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan J

Dear Alan J,

Thank you for sharing your comments of your event stay with us.

I hope we may welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Westcord is in a great location and the beds are very comfortable. Although the rooms are very small and the translucent glass bathroom makes me recommend this hotel for couples only. Also be aware that you have to pay for the entire stay when booking.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Mary V
EJBAmsterdam, General Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Dear Mary V,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to you recent stay with us. I am glad to read that you have had a good experience. Regarding the fully prepayment of the room I can explain that we offer multiple room rates. From flexible rates (no pre payment necessary) to non refundable (discounted) rates where a prepayment is obliged. The guest can choose whether they prefer a discount or more flexibility.

I hope I have informed you accordingly and looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed for 1 night (£160 for a 3 bed room), would certainly spend more time here though. Very convenient location, close to the train station, walking distance, but just 1 stop on the tram. The tram stop is just opposite the hotel. We arrived at about 11am, but our room was ready so able to check in. We'd taken an overnight ferry from England, and just having the 1 night in Amsterdam it was good that we could check in straight away and leave our bags, so we could maximise our time in the city. The room was lovely. I was staying with my wife and her 23 year old daughter (visiting us from the US), so we had a 3 person room. This consisted of 2 single beds pushed together, with a 3rd single bed in a corner of the room behind a screen. Large screen TV which even had BBC channels, not that we were watching much TV. It was a sizable room, and we felt we had enough privacy. The bathroom was a little strange with a glass door (partly frosted), but well equipped and a vet good and sizable shower cubicle.
The following morning we could leave our bags in a secure store room whilst we explored more of the city, and then pick them up before heading the short distance back to the station.
You can book breakfast the day before for a discount but we preferred to venture out and find a pancake house!
Down the side street across the road is an excellent bar called "In De Wildeman", highly recommended if you are a beer aficionado, carrying various draught beers from around the world and a wide range of bottles.
The hotel is a short walk from the red light district, and many coffee shops in the vicinity. Much of the city is within walking distance, but a visitor tram ticket (1 to 5 days I think, we got a 2 day ticket for €12) is worth getting and then you can get a little closer.
Would certainly consider this hotel again if we choose to travel back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RichSBarnsley_UK

Dear RichSBarnsley_UK,

Thank you for your extensive review on Tripadvisor. We are aware of the fact our guests would like to check-in as early as possible. Therefore we try our best. I am happy to read that you received this well.

I hope we may welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. Our room was facing onto the street where the trams travel so I was a bit nervous about the noise from there but I have to say noise was definitely not a problem! The windows are very thick and once they are closed we found that noise from the street was minimal!

The location of this hotel is brilliant - 5 minutes from central station and 5 minutes from Dam Square! The trams literally stop outside the door which is very handy too!

The one thing I would say is make sure that you are comfortable with the person you are travelling with! The rooms are very small and oddly shaped and when people say that the walls of the bathroom are glass, they are not exaggerating! They are clear glass at the top and bottom and frosted glass in the middle! I found this a bit unnerving at the beginning! You do have to just avert your eyes and look out the window or at the television while your friend uses the bathroom!

Saying that though, I would stay here again and I would recommend it to a friend!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Muinteoir_Mishka

Dear Muinteoir_Mishka,

Thank you for your positive comments on you stay with us.

I hope we may welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel was overall ok, and my review would probably be more positive if it weren't for the following: too pricey and with a discomforting bed. I don't know much about the Netherlands average price for hotels, but after travelling up and down all Europe, I expected something more for almost 200 euros per night, no breakfast included. The room was very small and the bathroom was separated by glass only, that requires some good level of closeness with your roommate... But then again, I would have found it a good deal if we were paying half the price. The double bed was made by two separate matrasses and separate blanketts and linen. Again, in the beginning I thought it was the Netherland way, but on day three of my stay I heard another customer asking to change his room for this reason, and he got it. We decided not to ask to change our room because it was our last night anyway. The staff was helpful and the hotel sells tkts to the main museums, which spares you endless lines. Clean enough and very quite (the windows have double glasses). Great location, 3 minutes walk from Dam square. I would eventually recommend it, if at a better price.

Room Tip: Specify clearly if you want a double bed - not two single pushed together.