“Comfortable stay in a great location”

WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #88 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I'm a frequent visitor to Amsterdam and have stayed in a fair few hotels.
I stayed her last week for my hen trip with a few friends.
The hotel is very easy to find and is located perfectly, 5mins walk from central station and 2mins from Dam Square/Damrak and it is on a main tram route.
Check in was quick and pleasant. It's worth noting that as standard for Amsterdam they take a €50 expense/damage deposit per room at check in which is refunded at check out. City tax for out trip was €10.50 each room for 2 nights payable in check out.
There is a small refreshments shop in reception where you can buy soft drinks, beer, crisps and chocolate which is extremely handy when you come in from a night out a bit peckish.
The rooms were funky. Tastefully decorated with a nice desk area/ TV and everything was spotless. Small but decent size for Amsterdam Central. As other travellers have noted, the glass bathroom can be a bit of an issue. It wouldn't be an issue at all if I was with my partner. However, when you're sharing a room with a friend and constantly have friends calling in to your room, you may have a problem. It's worth noting also that deluxe twin/double rooms are the same thing and you cannot move the beds apart, but they do have separate duvets.
The kettle and tea/coffee supplies are hidden away in the filing cabinet drawer and the safe is inside the wardrobe- both are easy to use. The shower is lovely although the tray does start to fill up so be careful.
Overall this a fab hotel for Amsterdam central and I will be returning if the price stays reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank eagertoseetheworld
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear eagertoseetheworld,

Thank you so much for taking to create this helpful review! We are proud to read you value our assets and service and we would be delighted to welcome you back. If you like you could try out one of our traditional "stone"bathroom rooms.

Tray of the shower shouldn't be filling up, if you could take the time to send me (lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl) more information about in which room you have stayed than we can make sure to check the sinks.

Let me guarantee you the best price available, whenever you plan on coming back to Amsterdam, just drop me a line and I'll make sure to arrange your reservation matching all your needs.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I booked a double room from the website booking.it at an excellent price (less than 55 euros per room per night) and stayed with my fiancé at Westcord City Centre Amsterdam from 19th to 21st February 2014.
Our stay was better than expected because of the excellent quality of the hotel and its staff.
Before arriving in Amsterdam, I wrote to the reception to ask for a large room on a high floor because we had chosen Amsterdam to celebrate an important occasion. Our requests had been totally satisfied!
When we checked in, the polite, helpful and professional receptionist Helen (I hope the name is properly spelt) informed us that they were willing to meet our requirements; as a consequence, we were given a very spacious room with a a great view of the town. And after, when we entered the room, we got a call from the reception, asking if the room was as nice as we were expecting. Definitely it was!
The room was spacious enough, the bathroom was big , bright and clean, and the big window was offering us a nice panorama.
The hotel is perfectly located since it takes 5 minutes to reach the central station by foot and also because the city centre is really close by. If you go to Amsterdam by car, there is an underground parking right in front of the hotel. For the tram, there is a tram stop opposite the hotel's main entrance.
The reception area is nice and clean. If you need, you can also buy some food or drinks from the reception (there is a small selection of them next to the desk). Breakfast is not included in the standard rate and can be bought separately (but we didn't because it was quite expensive).
Our stay at the Westcord City Centre Amsterdam was excellent and we would like to thank the excellent receptionist Helen for her politeness and helpfulness. She wouldn't have helped us Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I visited with 3 old friends for a short break. The hotel is within easy walking distance of central station and of Dam square and the other main attractions.

The place has had a recent refurb so it's neat and tidy and well presented. Rooms have a glass box room containing shower/ toilet which means the smallish rooms feel more spacious.

Interesting room layout has the foot of the double bed against the wall with the head in the middle of the room and a desk directly behind. Seems a bit strange at first but makes for easier viewing of the wall mounted TV.

Small criticism is that the double bed frame contains 2 single mattresses with 2 single duvets. Result is that as I was a single occupant I couldn't use the centre of the double bed - as is my wont - without disappearing down the crack! Also the single duvet idea doesn't work too well - bits of me tending to escape from under at regular intervals. I'm sure this is great for those wanting a twin bed experience but it's not for me.

Breakfast costs an extra €12.50 and has the usual selection.

Reception staff are all terrific - Helen in particular was outstanding and very helpful with excursion tickets and good advice on local restaurants. All very friendly.

Overall a good experience but the bed issue means 4 rather than 5 stars.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Urbanfox93,

Thanks so much for this great review! It's always really nice to hear our staff impressed you, Helen sends you her greetings.

With regards to your bed, it seems like you were in a Twin bedded bedroom rather than in a Double room.. For your next stay we will make sure to provide you with a room with one big bed, and one big duvet to keep you all covered the entire night.

In case you would like to share any other experiences; please do contact me!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have just returned from four nights in this hotel with my 15 year old daughter. Location was good, room fine (glass bathroom took some getting used to!), clean and staff happy to help in any way we asked. The bad points are out of the hotels control but none of the previous reviews I had read told you that just round the corner were the streets full of the red lights and girls and this is not marked as the red light district on the hotel map. I was fine with this but my daughter was less happy to be so close. Most nights we went to sleep with the smell of cannabis coming in through the hotel ventilation system even though it is meant to be a completely smoke free hotel. Told staff but they are unable to locate room where people are smoking but were very sorry.

Room Tip: Second floor deluxe twin was fine. Beds are like marshmallows but we slept very well even though we...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bigshirl2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I can vividly imagine that red lights and girls are not an experience you wish to share with your daughter.

Whenever you plan on visiting Amsterdam again, please do contact me at lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl; I would be happy to show you how to walk Amsterdam without passing any red light (best part of my alternative routes; they usually are quicker!) and accomodate you in a room facing the Front Side with a traditional "stone" bathroom.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed for a weekend in April 2014. Nice hotel, very clean but expensive. I have stayed in equally good hotels for much less €€€€.
Breakfast we didn't have as it was €12 each!!!! Really???
Nice hotel but will find somewhere cheaper next year.

Room Tip: Glass walled en suite takes a bit of getting used to but overall a good room. Tea and coffee making...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Andy P,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Happy to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel. We indeed work with an advanced revenue management system as Amsterdam is a very "high demanded" city.

Our full breakfast buffet with fresh, both local and international, warm and cold items can be booked at a discount in advance, did you know we also prepare special requests?

Next time you plan on visiting Amsterdam, please do contact me (lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl); we have a "best price guarantee". Looking forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

My wife and I and a group of friends stayed at the Westcord for a weekend. The hotel is a very easy to get to, a couple minute walk from the train station and theres a tram line stop down the block to take you anywhere else you need to get to (only a couple stops from the Rikjsmuseum, Iamsterdam sign, Van Gogh museum). The room size was fine (not the largest and not the smallest). The bed was surprisingly comfortable. The one thing you'll have to get used to is the bathroom is basically a glass box (not much privacy if your shy - theres the grey stripe across the middle to keep something to the imagination, haha). It was fine for us, and i do remember seeing something similar in another hotel on a work trip to copenhagen. The hotel staff are super friendly (Elise i think) was very helpful at check in and check out. They let us stow our luggage after checkout, checked the train schedule and even called the train station since they saw "delays expected" to get us further information. I'd recommend this hotel for anyone visiting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear mtfb45,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! Eline sends you her greetings and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights from 1st of April 2014. The hotel is excellent in every aspect. The room was immaculate. The staff were lovely and very attentive. The location was ideal, 5 mins walk from most attractions and shops. I can't speak more highly of my stay. Will be back in the future for sure!

• Stayed: April 2014
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Kiedogg,

We can't thank you enough for this rewarding review!

Looking forward to your next visit.