“Good location on Amsterdam”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #18 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This is a lovely hotel situated on the Singel Canal. Location is perfect with lots of restaurants very close by. Most sights are within easy walking distance, buses stop nearby so an easy journey to/from station. The hotel is very welcoming with complimentary soft drinks and snacks available throughout the day in Reception. There was a very good choice at breakfast, but the breakfast room did get a little congested sometimes. Bedrooms are very comfortable and well appointed. We had a courtyard facing room which was very quiet but if you want a view of the canal it might be worth paying the extra charge. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Would definitely stay here again if visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Courtyard view room was very comfortable and very quiet, but pay the extra if you want a canal view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,024)

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Lovely hotel. Our room was beautifully decorated and spacious. Room was clean and comfortable. Our room faced was in the back off the main street, We did not have an issue with noise.

The staff is friendly and helpful. We loved the lobby and common rooms. We enjoyed our evening cocktails at the bar.

We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The location of this hotel is great. If you're in decent shape and not burdened with a lot of luggage, it is an easy walk from Centraal Station to Hotel Estherea. It's also easy to get to a lot of nice shops and places to eat from this location. It's less than a mile to Dam Square. While the decor of the rooms is a tad bit garish in my opinion, the bathroom was excellent. Do yourself a favor and skip the breakfast. At 18 Euros, it is definitely overpriced for the quality of what's prepared. The front desk staff was professional and nice. The personnel working the bar area not as attentive. All in all, this is a very nice hotel and you'd not be making a mistake if you chose to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed 4 nights in October 2012. This was the first hotel I browsed on the web and I had such a good impression then that I booked it right away. My instinct prooved me right!

The hotel is luxurious, and grand in every way. Our deluxe room was beautifully decorated, very comfortable, with a king bed, large sofa, and little table in addition to the desk. The bathroom was ample and impeccable. We did not have a canal view, but all the better because our corner room was quiet and far from the elevator.

Staff always greeted us with a smile and was very helpful. They had taken note of my email making reference to our wedding aniversary and had left us a lovely gift in our room upon arrival. Thanks for such nice token!

We enjoyed having coffee/tea (there is a 24/7 complimentary coffee/tea machine in the lobby) every night while observing the fantastic acquarium in the lobby. Everything is of superb quality, tidy and clean.
Location is excellent: facing Singel Canal -a guarantee of quietness - but having everything around the corner on Spuistraat - restaurants, bars, coffeeshops. Shopping area is about 3 or 4 blocks away.
We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but instead had a coffe and croisant at Café Hoppe, a top 10, a couple of blocks away.
Amsterdam is great for walking (or riding!). Watch out for intense bike traffic when crossing the street! We enjoyed the museums and the canals - a cruise is a must.
We also hopped on a train and visited The Hague, which is only 50 minutes away. It is a beautiful city, quieter than Amsterdam.
Overall, our stay in Netherlands was amazing! I'd love to come back and definitely would choose Estherea over and over again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room if possible!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This was my second stay in this hotel, and I loved it even more than the first! Definitely my favourite hotel, and my favourite city in the whole world! It is just so beautiful and comfortable, every minute staying there was a real pleasure. Breakfast is still really tasty, the coffees and teas are available for free around the clock (I hate not being able to get a warm cup of tea in most European hotels!), and this time around, I found the staff a lot more courteous so really - nothing to complain about, only good things to say about this hotel!
Location could not be better - go to Broodje Bert next door for the best sandwiches in the world, and avoid the tacky middle part of the city centre, but take a walk down Wolvenstraat for great shops, cafés and restaurants.
Will definitely be back, maybe one day for good!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Be sure to book the room online through their site to get a better rate of €13/day rather than €18 to have their breakfast and to get free internet rather than €10/day internet. The breakfast is a very good one with a large variety of hot and cold items. My large room averaged €262.50 for Thursday through Saturday nights overlooking the canal rather than at the back where people say is noisy.
Even though there are a lot of light switches I had difficulty that the switches also turns off the wall plugs so you could not turn off the room lights without killing the power to where I was charging my iPad. Normally I would charge it overnight but to sleep you turn the lights off and the plug is off so I left all the lights on in the room to charge the iPad when I went for supper and when I went to breakfast.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to find a hotel with rooms on the large-ish size (for Europe). The queen-sized bed took up most of our room on the 4th floor (not the canal side) but there was still room for a large wardrobe, a small desk and table. The bathroom was remodeled and had a huge soaking tub and separate stall shower, and stone vanity with two sinks. Like most of Europe and the UK, there are only electrical outlets that accomodate low-amperage shavers, but the hair dryer was decent and located near a mirror, in the bathroom where you actually need it (unlike the UK). The shower was big enough to turn around in. The toilet was in a separate room. There is a medium-size flat screen TV mounted next to the bed, but no alarm clock.

This was not cheap (more than 400 Euros per night) but we spent a lot of time searching for hotels near the canal ring or Dam Square and this looked to be one of the best in terms of room type and level of service that we wanted.

The breakfast was 18 Euros, which is outrageous yet seems to be typical for the Netherlands, not just Amsterdam. Skip it and just get some coffee in the lobby, and go down the street to one of the many cafes to grab something for breakfast.

Internet is not free and was something like 5E for one hour and over 10E for 24 hrs, and you could only use it on one machine. So, I had a tablet and my husband had his computer, and both of us had mobile phones, but for each 24 hr block we could only use the tablet, for example.

I agree with Cornishkent, the street noise was something of an issue. If i hadn't brought serious industrial-grade earplugs, I never would have slept. Our room was on the 4th floor on the non-canal side, but honestly, it wouldn't have been any more quiet on the canal side, as there is still a regular street on that side. This area seems to attract young people who are out into the wee hours of the morning, yelling, laughing, being drunk/stoned (oh yes, there's a coffeeshop on the non-canal side, right next to the hotel), riding motorbikes, driving cars and honking horns. We stayed Thursday night to Sunday morning and the night noise just increased as the week went on.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple