“My Christmas Was Salvaged - Very Nicely At Hotel Estherea”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #19 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 January 2014

In a rather long story, I ended up having a nearly two day layover in Amsterdam while on my way to Asia from the US. In a sudden schedule change on my connecting airline, I ended up having to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day by myself. Rather than take a hotel at the airport, I quickly looked at some reviews, and called Hotel Estherea. This couldn't have been a smoother process, and was encouraged to book online to receive a discount on breakfast.

Once arriving at the hotel, I was given a warm welcome and had my room upgraded. The smiles and service were always there, and attention to details that were very much appreciated. The breakfast on Christmas morning was outstanding - couldn't ask for anything nicer. That ended up being my main meal for the day. The hotel staff then gave me some advice on what to visit on Christmas day, and ended up going to the museum. It turns out that this is quite popular for Dutch families and tourists.

For dinner, there are quite a few excellent options within a 3-5 minute walk. For my Christmas dinner ended up having an awesome salmon plate and some Heineken on tap.

On checkout, I had a fairly early flight and the staff made sure I had everything sequenced. From breakfast, checkout, to cab waiting at the front door. All I can say is thank you very much for the nice visit. If I ever come back to Amsterdam under different circumstance, this will be my first choice!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank roadwarrior2000
Write a ReviewReviews (4,067)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

A bit upscale, a bit nostalgic, a bit luxury. Three nights. We paid for the breakfast service and it was one of the best breakfast buffets we have ever encountered. We stayed in an attic room on the back side of the hotel. Room even had the hoist beam in the ceiling, a feature of the old row houses. Thought it was quiet. Large tile bathroom, all very clean. A well run hotel. They did over charge us when we checked out. 20-30E or so.

Room Tip: Not a lot of auto traffic after hours in that neighborhood, so any should be fine for most folks.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SrTraveler662
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I recently had a business trip to Amsterdam and booked into Hotel Esthera. Firstly the location is fantastic! Very central and easy to get to from Centraal Station. The rooms are spacious, well maintained and value for money. Staff are helpful and overall i really enjoyed my stay. The free coffee to go/take away is brilliant when walking to clients or sightseeing. I would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 19 January 2014

If you are looking for a charming hotel that takes you back in time to another era, look no further than here. Behind a deceptive facade, the decor is colorful and warm. Upon entering, you are welcomed by a beautiful salt water fish tank, and a friendly and helpful staff. There is 24 hour self service coffee, which was a pleasant surprise. The rooms were a little small, but the hotel location more than makes up for that. Besides, with all there is to do and see, you shouldn't be hanging out in the room. We definitely plan to stay here again when in Amsterdam.

1  Thank Eric M
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I had booked this Hotel for my partners 40th Birthday, for a three night stay from a Thursday night to a Saturday. We had spent a lot of hours looking & researching for our accommodation in Amsterdam. The Estherea kept coming up as first choice, and after staying here it would be our first choice again ! The staff are so friendly & helpful. The room was divine, lavish bedding & decor and the view over looking the canal was a delight. After we had checked in and unpacked, we went for a walk & upon arrival back at our room we had a lovely box of chocolates and birthday note from Hotel ! This little gesture meant a lot to my partner, she was overjoyed. The whole stay was a delight. The bed was so comfortable and after late night out in Amsterdam was much needed. The room, day & night was quiet, we heard nothing from rooms above or below & to the left or right. The bathroom facilities were superb, nice hand towels, face towels, bath towels and lavish toiletries. The room was perfectly cleaned after we had left the hotel for our days out. I cannot find any reason to fault this hotel !!! LOVE THIS HOTEL !!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Loved the free 24 hr tea/ coffee bar, the great location, the reception staff and the fact that they were very helpful with my gluten free breakfast. Rooms are beautifully furnished, especially the library and lounge areas. We stayed 5 nights and would book again, and we are fussy. Ask staff for room tips.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple