“Charming and cosy”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #21 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 February 2014

A place with a boutique hotel feel, where you feel right at home. Wonderful staff with a gorgeous breakfast. The all day free delicious cookies and treats along with the cappuccino is a small thing that goes a long way. It's only 20 minutes walking distance from any of the major attractions in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank JoaoSobral
Write a ReviewReviews (4,108)

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We are only back from Amsterdam and we stayed in the Estherea Hotel. We absolutely loved this hotel.

The hotel was Three stops away from central station on the number 2 or 5 tram line. It was so easy to find. It was very central with it being just a little walk around the corner from Dam square.

The hotel looks out onto the canal and even though our room was not a canal view it didn't matter our room was still lovely. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were greeted by the brilliant staff at the reception who took our bags up to our rooms. Oh the beds were so comfortable better than my own bed at home and the pillows were so soft. There was no noise at all. The rooms are very comfortable indeed.
The lobbie was big and spacious with great decor, a lovely place to relax looking at the big fish tank.

This hotel had great little treats for the guests, with complementary tea, coffee or hot chocolate to help yourself with at any time,the machine was just behind the reception desk. Sweet jars for the children . Flavored water to drink and cookies for your coffee. It was such a treat as i have never seen this in any other hotel.

We didn't have breakfast as it was €18 each but we heard it was great.
The bar was also well priced and you could order a little bar food there too if need be.

Over all we loved this hotel and we would definitely go back to the same hotel. I cannot recommend it enough.
Thank you to all the staff they are truly hand picked as they were all great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel was quite a bit more expensive than the other one I stayed in. It was however very spacious, quiet and in a great location. The room was very large (by European standards) with very colourful decor. The hotel also has a lift so no issues with heavy luggage or getting up and down Dutch staircases!

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was not included so we chose to go out and explore instead, there were plenty of places nearby to eat.

Fantastic location and if you are happy to pay that little bit more you will still get good value.

Thank you Hotel Estherea!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I chose Estherea for overnight stay due to its good reviews and location. Unfortunately only later was true: the location is great - in the middle of Old Town and very close to train station.
The single room I've reserved was however disappointment:
- very small,
- the heater was closed so it was cold
- the window was facing into the chimney-like opening in the roof with with view on three very close walls and roof at window level
- there was no drinking water or tea/coffee facilities in the room
- in the morning there was no cold water (!) so I had to take very hot shower

Sorry, but I'll not be coming back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PeteA74
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed third time in Estherea, and will come again. Only points with"very good" a room size- this is small and noise from street onSunday night. Overall I am very satisfied.

I like the possibility to have cafe all the day and some small benefits - late check out, bottle of Prosecco...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mihkel P
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had previsously visited AMS the week before and stayed and the Room Mate Aitana, whose location was a bit off but the rooms were very spacious.

Estherea is the opposite: excellent location with very small rooms. I stayed at a room with a queen bed, which is supposed to accommodate 2 people. I was lucky I was alone. Had I been traveling with my spouse, we would have had problems. There was not enough room to open my bad and my hand luggage.

Another problem I had was with the wifi. Even though I was on vacation, I had to deal with problems at work which demanded high speed internet. Unfortunately, it seemed we were still in the early 2000's when it came to speed.

So, even though the hotel is at an excellent spot in the city and it is beautifully decorated, I would recommend a larger room, which means more money. And for more money, there are better hotels.

Room Tip: Pay more for a larger room. The regular ones are claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank macktheknifeBr
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We had a really wonderful stay here. The staff could not do enough for us, even though our set of reservations was a bit complicated, answering all our questions, moving us as needed, so that our rooms could be close to each other, as well as meeting our needs in so many other ways. The rooms are rally beautiful, comfortable beds, sizable bathrooms with nice bath products…overall a terrific hotel---and we travel quite a bit.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have a nice view even if they are not overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family