“Charming hotel, fabulous staff”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #20 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in April. It is exquisitely decorated in period furnishings. The breakfasts were the best we had in Europe - it was all downhill at our next two hotels in Paris and London. Everything was fresh and delicious, with a tremendous selection. As a gluten-free person, I was particularly accommodated, although I would have loved to taste the many pastries.The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in response to all of our requests. When I thanked the front desk manager for the excellent service, he said that they really prized the interaction between guests and staff. The only downside for us was that we had a very small room with no bureaus in which to stow the stuff that we had brought for our almost 3-week vacation. The bathroom did have 2 sinks, however. Next time, I would definitely ask for a larger room, one with a canal view if possible. However, our room was very quiet and we had no street noise whatsoever.

Room Tip: Go for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,072)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went traveling with my family and another family that we are friends with. We started out our European trip in Amsterdam staying in this hotel. I was the one who chose the hotel for the group and I got really lucky choosing such a fantastic place! I was worried that I had chosen something that would be a flop as if you tried to find this hotel on other sites, it wasn't very easy. First tip, BOOK THROUGH THE HOTEL WEBSITE! They offer deals if you book through them, and we received a free canal cruise! When you get to the hotel, it's actually bigger than what others make it to seem, and boy is it beautiful! They have small elevators but there are two of them. Make use of the free expresso machine. It rained almost the whole time we were there, so the free hot chocolates were perfect. The rooms are a bit small, which is to be expected, however so charming. Plus you're in Amsterdam, you're not supposed to spend your time in the room! My parents ate at the bar and said the food was good, nothing special, BUT if you get down to the lobby in the afternoon/night time there are yummy treats waiting for you by the expresso machine. We also emailed them quite frequently with questions, so much so that I felt like we were being an annoyance, but they responded quickly and never failed to answer our questions and calm our concerns. I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed the hotel, but I can say that I will recommend it to anyone going to Amsterdam, and if I ever get the chance to go again, I will be staying at Hotel Estherea!

Room Tip: Book through the hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at Estherea from 6 to 9 juni 2014, and will defenetly be back! This hotell had everything we are looking for. Great location, quiet, but near the great shops and cafe`s. Big and luxurious rooms (we had a delux room), a balcony, and the best breakfast ever!! And a very serviceminded staff. Thank you all for a great stay:-) Elisabeth and Rolf

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We started our European vacation with 4 days at this Beautiful Boutique Hotel and were very glad we did. The hotel is on a quiet canal (some nights not) and the interior lived up to the website pictures. We loved the 24 hour expresso/coffee/hot chocolate machine in the lobby area. we also used the 2 computers in the lounge to print our boarding passes for our flight out. we had 2 rooms. one for my wife and I and one for my daughters. my daughters had an interior room and their bathroom was actually quite larger than our canal room and much quieter than our room as late party revelers made noise passing by and woke us up so we had to close our windows. my point is if all you want to do is sleep then an interior room is the way to go but if you want and have time to spend in the room and a canal view is what you want those rooms can be noisier. We had read previous posts about having to leave your room keys with the front desk when you left and can confirm that there is no formal requesting of ID when you return and ask for your room key which is a suggestion for improvement. We did not take any meals in the restaurant or drinks at the bar (should have ordered the drink). There are complimentary umbrellas in the front lobby which was a nice touch. We were VERY IMPRESSED with this hotel and will highly recommend it. We loved Amsterdam!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 June 2014

People at hotel great, very helpful, nice and competent. Rooms great. Location great. All in all a wonderful hotel to stay at when visiting Amsterdam and surrounding areas. Our first time there, but worth coming back to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Spent a weekend at Estherea - enjoyed everything from the super comfy beds, to the eclectic decor, to the staff friendliness, to the L'Occitane toiletries, to Maria's bar. The hotel is tastefully luxurious, without making you feel uncomfortable. Perfect location on the Singel canal, close to Dam Square, Anne Frank's Museum, and the nine shopping streets, among others. I plan on staying there again on my next trip to Amsterdam!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dutch efficiency, quick check-in, very clean, everything is just right, not too much not lacking. Only complain is that room is a bit pricey in early June. Front desk very helpful, they give you good tips on good bakery and restaurants around the area. Euro300 per night!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family