“Lovely hotel”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #16 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 November 2008

This hotel is very well located, infront of a canal and only five mins walk from Dam square. Friendly staff, nice room, just like the photos. There was also a complimentary tea/coffee machine in the reception along with a range of muffins and biscuits. This was a nice touch coming in after a long cold day and having the tea, also we didnt have breakfast included but this meant we could get a coffee in the morning. Only one small bad thing to say bout this hotel is that the heating vent is located over your head when in the bed, so each morning woke up very hot and with the feeling of a sore throat. We couldnt find a switch to regulate the heating as you do in other places. All in all lovely hotel, felt safe, nice staff, nice rooms, we would return.

Reviewed 17 November 2008

If arriving by train, take a cab. It is really a long walk from the station unless you have no luggage and have 20-25 minutes to view things on the way.
Arrived and was given a so so small room with no view. Asked for another. Hotel was accommodating to a point in that we were shown another bigger room or we could opt for a small room with a view. We opted for the broom closet sized room just for the view of the canal. (They claimed no others available. I was not so sure) This was our choice but two normal sized adults pretty much have to climb over each other to function.) Bathroom nice but very limited space on sink and shelf. View great from room . Bed was okay. No bed bugs that I could see or feel.(saw that in another review) Closet space....Poor. No drawers, a high hard to use shelf. (I lived better out of a foot locker in the Army). Beautifully decorated downstairs public rooms. Did not do the 16 Euro breakfast but room looked nice. Free coffee, cookies and candy in lobby area was nice touch . Bar open 24 hours. Fair prices on the drinks. Service was very good and staff helpful with a good restaurant recommendation. Price for 3 nights averages about 155 euros a night with taxes.

1  Thank GDS309
Reviewed 12 November 2008

The last couple of reviews don't compute with my own experience. I booked through a discount website and was therefore expecting one of the less good rooms. However on checking in I was given a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the canal (207). The room was not huge (to be expected in Amsterdam) but was perfectly adequate and well designed (cubby holes to use as bedside storage). The bathroom was clean and much bigger than many I have experienced at far more expensive places. The staff were very polite and helpful and I found the facilities and location of the hotel to be very good (a 10 minute stroll from the central railway station). I made use of the free loan of a DVD player which was an added bonus.
Downsides? None really, the wifi connection didn't work on the last day but I was refunded the cost of access with no question.

1  Thank SWMatlock
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I honestly cannot believe the high score at tripadvisor. I usually choose my hotels based on the ratings here at tripadvisor and have never been disappointed. However, Esthera did not live up to my expectations. The room (512) was tiny, with a tiny bathroom which actually has no space to put the towels (stored on a rack above the bathtub). If you want to take a shower you have to throw the towels onto the floor. The furniture had several cigarette holes, although it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. The rooms are noisy due to the lack of any sound insulation. Breakfast is an extra 16 EUR per person which I thought was included in the price, another bad surprise.
Staff is not particularly friendly. Location is quite nice, which is the only positive thing about this hotel.

6  Thank mambo03
Reviewed 3 November 2008

The hotel itself is very nice. However, watch out for the bedbugs.

We stayed in room 406 at the hotel on the 24-26th October 2008, when my Husband and I woke up on the Saturday morning we noticed that we had little lumps on our skin but did not understand why.

When we woke up Sunday morning with more bites I put 2+2 together. I woke up with a bite on my eye lid, which hurt and itched like hell. A week later I still have the lump without the redness!

Since then, I have had to spray my home and my bags with the clothes I took to make sure this does not spread into my home. Once you have bedbugs they are hard to shift.

Until now I did not know they actually existed. Its AWFUL!

I have yet to email the hotel and see what repsonse I get, however, if you do stay here I would suggest you check the bed first before opening your luggage.

Other than that, its a nice hotel and a nice location.

I hope you have better luck than me!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonnaLJohnston
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Incredible hotel and experience! We loved Amsterdam and the hotel made it an even better experience. The location is perfect and right in the heart of everything. The staff was wonderful! I really cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. The next time we are in Amsterdam we will stay here!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pugaroo540
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Stayed for three nights from 20th October to 23 October & found it more than lived up to our expectations. We had a very comfortable, quiet room with large bathroom. The hotel was warm & comfortable with exceptionally charming, helpful & efficient staff. The breakfast was delicious & the complementary coffee, chocolate or tea very much appreciated. The hotel is on a lovely stretch of a quiet canal within easy walking distance of almost everything. There is a selection of restaurants to suit every taste & pocket just around the corner in Spuistraat . The only negative thing I would say about the hotel is that the grouting & tiling in our bathroom needed some maintainance

The only negative experience we had in Amsterdam was that we were very overcharged for our taxi from the station. We asked the hotel to get us a taxi back to the station. This was less than half the price we paid to get there

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends