“Beautiful Boutique Hotel, Amazing Service, Lovely Rooms”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #19 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Boutique Hotel, Amazing Service, Lovely Rooms”
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I have never been so delighted by a hotel in my long traveling life. Hotel Estherea is right on the Singel Canal and many rooms face onto the canal (though the ones on the 5th floor only have one window, the ones below have huge picture windows). The hotel lobby is just delightful and beautiful and quiet most of the time. This boutique hotel is near some great restaurants, and it is perfectly located. We asked to hold our bags several times, and the front desk staff was amazingly helpful and kind. I wish there were a hotel like this in every European city. It is a real find, and I would never stay anywhere in Amsterdam again. (DO NOT go to the American Hotel, despite its reputation -- SO touristy). This is a charmer! (Oh, and you'll love the gorgeous salt water fish tank in the lobby -- tres elegante!).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tamarac, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The staff was excelent and very helpful with any questions that we had. We spent 2 nights there and it was much better then the 5 star hotel we stayed in on the way back to Paris in Brussels. We found out the hard way via cab rides that the best way to get anywhere in Amsterdam is either the canel hop on hop off boat., or simply when you go out the front door of the hotel go right and the first cross street make another right and walk a few blocks to the center of the city. No need for fancy places to eat as any small pub will do and the food is just as good.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 8 October 2009

After weeks of research on every internet side imaginable I found this hotel and had a good feeling, so I booked it. My wife and I were immediately excited as soon as we stepped into the hotel. The decor is very classy and has an old world feel. The people that work there are super friendly, helpful and will do anything they can to help you find or get somewhere. The room was a suite with a four poster bed overlooking the canal. it was perfect. The bed was comfortable too. Every morning and night there was always complimentary fruit or cookies and always fresh coffee or hot chocolate. My wife and i travel a lot and try to get a lot of value for the dollar. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I carefully chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and other sources. I was quite disappointed (for the first time with Tripadvisor). We chose a canal view deluxe room based on other posts. I booked on their web site and paid full price, so I wasn't being "punished". The room (410) was quite plain, two small chairs and a small desk. You need to leave the bathroom to towel off. A shallow closet (too shallow for hangers to hang perpendicular to the wall) and no drawers at all. Bed and bedding adequate at best. This place is 2.5 stars - two for the room and an extra.5 for the lobby.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I stayed on my own for one night at Hotel Estherea prior to joining up with a group tour. I actually had changed my hotel reservation about a week in advance of the trip after reading a recent string of negative reviews on Tripadvisor of the hotel that I had previously reserved. I was so pleased that I decided at the last minute to change to the Hotel Estherea instead. I arrived at 11am following my arrival on the redeye flight from the US, and my room was ready even though it was well before the designated check-in time. The room was small but very pretty, clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The location was great- centrally located to many of the tourist areas, just a few minutes walk to Dam Square, yet in a nice quiet neightborhood on the Singel Canal. My only disappointment was that I only could spend one night.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2009

The hotel was great except for the fact that the Wi-Fi was not free - it cost 10 Euro per night, PER DEVICE. I was travelling with my wife, and we both have laptops, and we both have iPhones, so that meant an extra €80 for a 2-night stay (O2 Ireland charges HUGE data roaming rates, so the €10 per day Wi-Fi fee was unfortunately still cheaper than paying the roaming charges on the iPhones). I am just frustrated when I go to a four star hotel, pay four-star rates, and then get soaked for the Internet access. Someone needs to tell the hotel management that everyone - and I mean everyone - uses Wi-Fi these days, and it should not be an "extra".

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank EuroYankee
Stockholm
Reviewed 29 September 2009

This is not a hotel that I would recomend to my worst enemy. Unfriendly staf that left us waiting for an hour (!) when checking in without explenation. The room was dirty, the bed broken (!) and there where blood stains on the sheets....we left of course after complaining. The staf refused to listned and charged us for the room...never been treated this way in a hotel before.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple