“My Favorite Hotel In The World!”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #18 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Perfect central location on a beautiful canal, a short walk to many restaurants and attractions and right near a tram to take you quickly everywhere else. Wonderful, courteous staff. Gorgeous old-Amsterdam style canal house hotel. The public areas are drop-dead gorgeous and there are now two computers in the living room for guests without charge -- one or the other was always available.. Tea, coffee, cookies etc. left out all day are a nice touch and we appreciated a cup of camomile tea while watching the fish in the fish tank. Our room was quiet (on an interior courtyard), very charming -- comfortable bed and large bath with a nice tub/shower and nice toiletries.. This was my second stay at the Estherea, and I'd love to go back anytime!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,024)

Reviewed 20 October 2009

The Hotel Estherea is in a good location on the Singel Canal. The description states that it has been held in ownership by the same family for many,many generations. That made us believe that all the personal touches and pride of family ownership would be there. Instead, the reception was aloof to the point of being unhelpful--for example,the porter showed us to our room but he never carried our bags and saw me struggling with mine. He merely opened the door for us and expected his two euro tip! When I emailed the front desk to ask about the taxi charges from the train station to the hotel they told me about 10 euros. They didn't bother to mention that all the taxi drivers in Amsterdam cheat on the fares,which is common,common knowl;edge. What the drivers say is--"you have 4 bags. That costs extra!" If the hotel staff knew this, in my view they could have easily have said--BEWARE! We were charged 25 euros for a three minute ride. Apparently that was the highest they had heard of from other complaints issued by hotel guests. When we asked about restaurant recommendations they only came up with one name--we indicated that we were just there--could there be another restaurant in all of Amsterdam.They indicated they couldn't think of one but would get back to us. They never did. Having said all that, I will now state that the location is good and central.quiet,

2  Thank Lily L W
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We stayed in a triple room for 3 nights our bed was a super kingsize with lovely bedlinen. Our daughter slept in a proper sturdy sofa bed which was also very comfortable. The room was cleaned everyday with bottles of mineral water replaced in the minibar free of charge. There was a very high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel which we loved. Lots of lovely complementary toiletries, slippers and a proper iron and ironing board. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, we ate in the local cafe called broodje bert which was delicious, we also had eggs benedict one morning at Cafe Luxembourg which was also verg good. The free tea, coffee,hot chocolate was such a nice touch, we looked forward to coming back to the hotel late afternoon for a cuppa and some cakes and cookies. Our daughter loved the jars of free sweets and candies that were also on offer. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel also had free internet access which is very unusual, great for checking in online and printing off tickets. The hotel is very central it's near to Dam square, it's within walking distance of Anne Franks house, the canal boats, the museums and Vondel park, we walked everywhere with a 5 year old. This is not a cheap hotel but you get what you pay for and I honestly can't say anything negative about this hotel. I find it hard to believe that some people have had a bad experience staying here. We'll be back at some point in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I have never been so delighted by a hotel in my long traveling life. Hotel Estherea is right on the Singel Canal and many rooms face onto the canal (though the ones on the 5th floor only have one window, the ones below have huge picture windows). The hotel lobby is just delightful and beautiful and quiet most of the time. This boutique hotel is near some great restaurants, and it is perfectly located. We asked to hold our bags several times, and the front desk staff was amazingly helpful and kind. I wish there were a hotel like this in every European city. It is a real find, and I would never stay anywhere in Amsterdam again. (DO NOT go to the American Hotel, despite its reputation -- SO touristy). This is a charmer! (Oh, and you'll love the gorgeous salt water fish tank in the lobby -- tres elegante!).

Reviewed 14 October 2009

The staff was excelent and very helpful with any questions that we had. We spent 2 nights there and it was much better then the 5 star hotel we stayed in on the way back to Paris in Brussels. We found out the hard way via cab rides that the best way to get anywhere in Amsterdam is either the canel hop on hop off boat., or simply when you go out the front door of the hotel go right and the first cross street make another right and walk a few blocks to the center of the city. No need for fancy places to eat as any small pub will do and the food is just as good.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

After weeks of research on every internet side imaginable I found this hotel and had a good feeling, so I booked it. My wife and I were immediately excited as soon as we stepped into the hotel. The decor is very classy and has an old world feel. The people that work there are super friendly, helpful and will do anything they can to help you find or get somewhere. The room was a suite with a four poster bed overlooking the canal. it was perfect. The bed was comfortable too. Every morning and night there was always complimentary fruit or cookies and always fresh coffee or hot chocolate. My wife and i travel a lot and try to get a lot of value for the dollar. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I carefully chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and other sources. I was quite disappointed (for the first time with Tripadvisor). We chose a canal view deluxe room based on other posts. I booked on their web site and paid full price, so I wasn't being "punished". The room (410) was quite plain, two small chairs and a small desk. You need to leave the bathroom to towel off. A shallow closet (too shallow for hangers to hang perpendicular to the wall) and no drawers at all. Bed and bedding adequate at best. This place is 2.5 stars - two for the room and an extra.5 for the lobby.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple