“Location and atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tornby, Denmark
“Location and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

A perfectly located hotel for exploring Amsterdam, in a quiet but central location. The canal view room we had was really nice and comfortable, and good value for money, and the service at the hotel was nice and personal- We'll be back! Matter of fact - we have already booked our next visit.

1 Thank S-ELinna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

We had a three night stay in Hotel Estherea. We paid a supplement for a canal view room, which proved to be the right choice since our top-floor room was a good size with a very comfortable king-size bed and a spacious well-equipped bathroom; the 'his n' hers' wash basins were a nice touch, as were the toiletries provided. Traditional and sumptuous decor in the public rooms provided a warm winter welcome. The staff were friendly and helpful; we were particulaly impressed to be able to check into our room as soon as we arrived at the hotel at 11am. Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cakes in the reception area were very welcome, but we took our own tea-making equipment to use in our room for early morning tea. The hotel breakfast is expensive at 16 euros per person and definitely not value for money. We went to 'Broodje Bert', which is a small cafe just a few yards away along the same side of the street, for breakfast costing 7 euros per person. We found some excellent restaurants close to the hotel for evening meals; these were: Casa di David, Singel 426 (Italian); De Theeboom, Singel 210 (French) and Haesje Claese, Spuistraat 275 (Dutch). All in all a super break.

3 Thank TravelbugBerkshire
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

The hotel has a great location on the canal. lower floor, canal facing rooms can be noisy as the late hours come with folks returning home from nights out, but that doesn't diminish my enthusiasm one bit as we knew we were getting that and wanted the view, which was lovely. staff are friendly and helpful. free coffee/tea and snacks in the lobby. location is convenient to all you want to see in Amsterdam - we walked everywhere. rooms are nice - well decorated and clean. nicely sized for europe.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

That was very dissapointing! When I arrived at the hotel my impressions were very good as the beauty, style and service of the hotel fulfiled my expectances; however, after the two first nights I discovered a mouse entering to my room in the middle of the night.
Although the receptionist of the hotel first treated me as a stupid scary lady (mice are normal in Amsterdam); I have to recognise that the manager made everything he could to help me with the problem. After double check the room they protected the door in such a way to prevent other mouse coming inside; however, for me the incident was sufficient for disqualify this hotel as a future option.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Eastbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

I trust this site and have always found it to be useful, but I disagree with most of the reviews on this occasion and felt it important to add my own comments. Before I start though it is worth mentioning that Amsterdam is an energetic city with noisy streets everywhere and if you are looking for a quiet hotel centrally with charm and views, you will be hard pushed to find a perfect one. We were looking for something with a few luxuries, not too central but close enough to not spend more than 15 minutes walking to main attractions.

The Pros: The location is perfect. The hotel is very clean. The room was immaculate. The staff were certainly friendly enough, although there seemed to be a significant rotation of staff and I was challenged a couple of times simply because the staff had not seen me before. Free slippers (not comfortable though). Free internet - always working ok. Communal lounge areas were pleasant and relaxing.

The Cons: The room was generally small but just ok, the toilet just 1m2, bathroom had a jacuzzi bath but actually it is not good - the jacuzzi mode is not proper jacuzzi & just pumped bubbles and so loud - louder than any vacuum cleaner, 30 seconds was enough to realise that it is not relaxing at all. There was a chandelier at chest height over the bed (I am tall) so I had to crouch whilst on the bed. Loads of grand pillows but no soft ones. Didn't sleep particularly well. There is no tea or coffee in the rooms! Why not? Tea & coffee is free in the lobby downstairs but why should i have to get dressed in the mornings just to get a cup of coffee? No bath robes in the room. Breakfast was an extra 16 euros each on top of the 400 euros for 3 nights. You do get noise through the walls but it wasn't too bad - maybe we had quiet neighbours. You can certainly hear them try the bath though!

Summary: This hotel needs to add tea & coffee in the rooms, add bath robes, make the beds more comfortable, get rid of the things that it uses to sell for effect like the 'jacuzzi' baths, remove obstacles like the chandelier that I frequently hit my head on and then it will be a great place to stay. Until then I suggest that it is probably worth looking around.

By the way, you need to request a room overlooking the canal if that is what you want.

1 Thank Rik356
Collierville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

This hotel rocks! Seriously, my wife and I had the best time here. The location could not be better. The lobby is very inviting with free coffee and cookies, the staff very friendly and knowledgeable, and our room was lovely, spacious, and well decorated. Nothing about the hotel is pretentious or stuffy. Anyone who rates this hotel as less than "very good" is an idiot and obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. My wife and I have traveled extensively, and yet this is the only hotel in any country that I've considered worthy to write a review of. I can say without question that we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hernando_De_Soto
Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed 4 nights, 21th until 25th december 2009. Wonderful HOTEL.
Antonio - Brazil