“Free wireless connection”

Ranked #149 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Because my opinion of this hotel is basically positive, let me start with the little niggling things that bothered my wife and me during our recent 6-day stay -- most of which were housekeeping-related.

First and foremost: Each room (for two) is granted one small bar of Pears-like (glycerine) soap a day. Most days, this turned out not to be enough soap for two people to take showers and do the occasional hand-wash. By morning (usually while the second guest was taking his/her shower), the soap was gone. (It virtually evaporates in your hand as you're holding it.)

The room came with a single extra pillow. Midway through our stay, this extra pillow was mysteriously placed back in the bag that we had found it in. Clearly, the pillowcase would not have been washed (we still had several nights to go before checking out), which made me wonder whether it had been cleaned the last time it was put back in the bag (before we took it out and used it).

Generally, the room seemed to have been set up for one guest (despite the queen bed): that single extra pillow; three types of beer in the fridge -- but only one can of each; a single wine-glass; a single water tumbler. And each day, the water glass and wine glass were carefully put back in their original position (upside down on a coaster) -- completely unwashed!

These housekeeping lapses suggest that the nh Schiller is not yet ready for prime time. These lapses, plus a seriously out-of-date lobby, and truly awful paintings in the hallways.

But, having said all of that, I would probably stay at the Schiller again:

The shower is one of the best I have ever experienced in my life. Lots of hot water (be careful: that second tap controls the temperature, not the cold water), and so much pressure that (for the first time in my life) I actually had to turn the water flow DOWN!

The half-hour of free wi-fi (in the lobby only, get the password from the front desk) was enough to keep up with the news and emails from home.

The safe -- unlike in almost every other hotel -- was not at floor level (and thus very difficult to use for anyone with bi-focals and/or a knee problem), but almost waist-high.

The fridge was relatively large and (see above) uncluttered, so we easily kept our breakfast and other snacks in it.

The young staff (fluent, like most Amsterdammers, in English) was friendly and helpful (one young man worked on my computer for 5 minutes or more, when I had a log-on problem).

The elevator (actually there are two) was a big attraction for us, knowing that the narrow canal-side hotels do not generally have one (and reluctant/unable to haul 5 weeks’-worth of luggage up multiple flights of tight, twisty steps).

The room -- number 509 -- was larger than we'd anticipated, very modern and clean. A pleasant surprise after the somewhat nervous-making lobby and the hallways. We had asked for a room in the back (having been warned, by other Trip Advisors, of possible late-night noise in the square out front). Anyone on floors 5 or 6 (and possibly 4) will get a wonderful view over the rooftops of Amsterdam, as well as down into the back gardens of some very posh homes one street over.

And the hotel location can't be beat: It’s an easy walk downtown, or through Chinatown. The tram lines -- #9 and #14 – that run through the Rembrandtplein square in front of the hotel run through the central part of town and connect the traveller to most places he or she is likely to want to visit (including the museums, the Jordaan, the Dam, the Anne Frank house, the Nine Streets, and Centraal Station), there is a Starbucks at the east end of Rembrandtplein, and an excellent food shop (Albert Hein) around the corner to the right (with a New York-style café – George – upstairs).

Room Tip: Definitely at the back. Anything on floor 4 or above will give you a nice view, while remaining qui...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrawnaMan
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay , it was a fabulous central location and our room as very clean and tidy. The staff thoughout our stay were wonderful , from the reception staff through to housekeeping nothing was too much trouble. We'd read how noisy the rooms at the front were but nothing prepared us..... We should have guessed as they give you complimentary ear plugs!!!! The noise from the square was incessant, from the party revellers from 10pm till 6am to lawn mowers and bin lorries at 7am onwards. If want a good nights sleep ask for a room at the back, from friends who travelled with us evidently there is no disturbance at all. another downside; there is no air con in the room, the tv channels are very limited for the English speaker and our bathroom was very dated and had a nasty odour. Taking all that into account we still had a brilliant time , amsterdam is a wonderful place for a short break, the people are great, the restaurants fabulous and the cafe culture brilliant.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank vesb1968
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I read other reviews about the noise but still chose a room on the front so we had a view of the square, big mistake. No wonder they supply ear plugs in the room! Honest. Did not notice that on their website. Rooms were average for the money paid although the public areas were lovely and Amsterdam is not a cheap city. Only real gripe was that out of our party of 8 they attempted to charge 3 of the rooms twice, insistent they had not been paid for until we argued, and I had to produce my invoice which they gave me 2 days earlier when I paid over 600 euros for 2 rooms for 2 nights- they tried to charge my friend again telling her I had not paid ! That really annoyed me. Aside from that we had a great stay and were really central for all areas of the city but next time will sacrifice the view for a quieter room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was charged 239 euro for one mid week night! This hotel is very well situated but is dated and has very little to offer by way of comfort. I had a very poor nights sleep due to an uncomfortable bed, no feather pillow and very noisy square below with poor sound proofing. Breakfast can only be described by suggesting that you don't pay the extra for it, instead go somewhere else. Most of the staff were friendly with the exception of the front desk staff who could not check me out correctly. I will never stay here again, in fact, I would rather sleep on a bench at the airport than be ripped off here again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The hotel is very central with easy access to the tram network and in walking distance of many of the major sites, the lobby is very traditional perhaps a little dated but our room overlooked the main Rembrandt square, there are plenty of cafes, bars and shops nearby. The room is a little noisy from late night noise outside but this was no problem for us the hotel provided ear plugs just in case, the rooms were modern and clean with a chic style, the bathrooms were showing some wear and tear but overall the room and the hotel were very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The staff could not have been more helpful. The room was very comfortable. The location was superb. We stayed 8 days and loved it

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the back.. Rembrant Square is noisy at night
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends