“In a good place”

NH Amsterdam Schiller
Ranked #148 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I visited Amsterdam alone for a congress and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The reception was very polite and helpful asking information about the city. The room was at the back side of the hotel and was quiet and clean, the bed comfortable and the closet spacious with safety for laptop, ability to make coffee or tea. There was internet facility with a limitation of 100 MB/day though enough for email checking and some surfing. The bathroom was clean with moderate quality care products. Breakfast was rich enough with eggs, many types of bread, cheese and ham, fruits and yoghourt. Generally I enjoyed my staying at this hotel, but I think it was relatively expensive

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Leticia M, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Schiller, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Sir,

It is nice to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We strive to meet the expectations of our guests and it is so nice to read that we have succeeded in most of them with you.
We have different rates throughout the year, depending on our availability.

Hopefully we can offer you a rate that meets your budget for your next stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment.

Hotel Director.

There are newer reviews for NH Amsterdam Schiller

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a bit shabby in appearance overall but the rooms are clean and of a reasonable size. However it is very noisy. Stayed tues and weds evenings and on both nights there was loud nightclub music booming out next door until about 2am, loud even on third floor. I don't usually mind that but it was ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend this place if you have work the next day!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sir/ Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a remark about your stay with us.

As the hotel is located on the Rembrandt square, one of the entertainment areas of Amsterdam, it is true that there is always something lively going on.
We do apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the noise.
Please know that we provide earplugs in all our rooms and we also have rooms at the backside of the hotel that are more quiet.

Should you choose to stay with us again in the future, we would be more than willing to provide you with a suitable room.

Hotel Director

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After booking and having confirmation of a twin smoking room, upon arrival we were told the nh Schiller was a non smoking hotel but we could have a balcony, that was good except these are the rooms at the front that no one wants because of how loud it is at the front they are also very dirty balconys cover in bird mess and not cleaned once whilst we were there. when entering the room we noticed the bed was a double, when we asked to change room, we were told that they would change the beds to twins 4 hours later it had not been done when we asked at reception we were told they would not change the beds and there was no other twin rooms unless we wanted to pay for a up grade, when we said they had made a mistake not us we were told hard luck pay more or sleep in a double!! Very poor customer service, I have stayed in many nh hotels and this is by far the worst treatment I've received in one.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Danmedw
Leticia M, Manager at NH Amsterdam Schiller, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience at our hotel. First I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during checkin. Not having all roomtypes available with a balcony must have caused this problem to occure.
I assure you your remarks will be discussed with the departments involved.
Furthermore I hope you did enjoy your stay in Amsterdam and thank you again for your comments.

Hotel Director.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had read reviews warning about the noise from next door to the hotel, but my husband and I thought we could cope with as we do like a lively area.

We could have put up with the noise for usual closing times, but the noise is constant until around 06:00 which is a little too much.

Apart from that we had a large room on the 5th floor with a spacious bathroom which was very conforable and everything we could have asked for including a fridge to keep our water cool, which is a huge bonus for me. We paid a lot of money to stay there for three nights and I do think the cost was a little to high especially as we hardly slept. There were ear plugs on the bedside cabinet but were not comfortable to have in all night

The desk staff were extremely friendly and when we were printing off our boarding passes they could not have been more helpful.

On the whole I could not fault the hotel but if anone likes a quiet stay, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room at the front of the hotel, the south side should be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It depends what you are looking for, the hotel is well located in the heart of Amsterdam, so is a number of other hotels... the rooms are small and stuffy, and there is no A/C in hot weather.The staff is friendly but not helpful. When I need to print by boarding pass, they said they were busy with other clients, as if I am not a client. for the price it is substandard.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wadih A
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The desk staff are more concerned about saving the 10 seconds of their time it takes to tag your luggage than about whether your luggage is safe when you leave it with them at checkout. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone could walk in, say they are collecting luggage and walk off with a random bag, because the desk staff are too busy to check identity.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Graham P
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for Valentines with my partner back in Feb 2012. Managed to get a great deal on this hotel for less than half the stated price through booking.com. It's such a lovely grand hotel keeping all it's character from when it was first built but with a modern twist. Our room was large and spacious but cosy at the same time with a comfy queen size bed. Our balcony was huge looking onto Rembrandt Square. If you are a light sleeper, I recommend you ask for a room at the back of the hotel due to some noise from the square. It didn't bother me though and hey it's Amsterdam, of course it's going to be a bit noisy!

You have a choice of meals for room service if you want it (however we didn't order any as remember noticing if you ordered breakfast up to your room, it was something like €19 per person!). There was a free of charge pillow menu though and I remember we took full advantage of that haha, so good to choose the right pillow for you though!

The hotel is in a great location and we managed to walk everywhere we wanted to go without using public transport. (Apart from when leaving and going to the airport, we needed to catch a train & a taxi but both are quite cheap). If I visit Amsterdam again, I will definitely use this hotel as it is in such a great location and made our stay even more enjoyable. I recommend everyone use this hotel, it has everything you need whilst being in Amsterdam.

Oh p.s the hotel charges you city tax for each day you are in Amsterdam so don't be alarmed when they ask, every hotel in Amsterdam does it. Cost me around €20 for four days.

Room Tip: Quite noisy on front of hotel facing Rembrandt square.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple