“Xmas In Amsterdam”

NH Amsterdam Schiller
Ranked #151 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We (me my wife) stayed in this hotel from Xmas eve for 4 nights and it served us perfectly. The advice given on this site by other reviewers regarding requesting a room at the back of the hotel, was spot on. We got such a room (309) which did look out over the back and it was lovely and peaceful. The front of the hotel looks out over Rembrandt Sq, which would have been very noisy at xmas time and does have loads of flashing lights. Our room was excellent for the two of us, being recently redecorated, with a comfy king sized bed and with good bathroom. The hotel staff were all very helpful (even though they were working over xmas holiday!) and the breakfast was very nice too. The Breakfast room/ bar/restaurant is a fine sight, with lots of lovely old panelling. All told, the pictures on the hotel web site really do it justice. Best thing of course, was the excellent location of the hotel. It was was in easy walking distance of all the main attractions. I would also recommend Amsterdam as an excellent Xmas destination, as all the museums, bars & restaurants (but not the shops) are open all xmas eve/day/boxing day. Walking around the deserted canals, on a bright sunny xams day was a true joy. The exchange rate made eating and drinking a bit steep but that's not Amsterdam's fault.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed 18 November 2008

I stayed at NH Schiller for 3 nights. It has an excellent location - no question about it!

Downsides are:

1. Internet is for a charge. I think it was about 20 euros per day. I find this unacceptable. Most countries in the world have free internet in hotel rooms. Charging for internet is opportunistic!

2. The hotel website was deceptive. Reading the hotel website you would think internet is free. But, it was not!

3. The hotel room was small. It was chilly. I used to turn on the heat and the maids would come in and turn it down.

4. If you do not plan to go out at night, do not stay there. You wouldn't be able to sleep from the noise coming from bars at the Rembrandtplein on a Friday and a Saturday...

Overall, it was a good experience. Paying for internet although the hotel website implied that it was free just drives me mad!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Stayted at this hotel room for 3 nights. The hotel is located in the famous Rembrandt Square. This hotel is a very chic French like hotel and is sorrunded by bars and night clubs along with shopping.

The arrival was very easy and inexpensive. Just take the #4 or #9 trolly from the central station and your there within 10 minutes. The trolly drops you off right in front of the hotel.

The front staff were very friendly. Initially they gave me a room on the first floor with a very bad view and smoke smell. Upon request, they changed the room for me with no hassle.

the fron staff are friendly I had no complaints. The only issue that DID NOT bother me was the fact that you can hear all the party goers at night. But again, I was not bothered with that.

Overall, I would for sure stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2008

The hotel room was very nice except if we took a HOT shower the fire alarm would go off in the room above so they would run down and have us turn off the shower. OH, but the jack hammer.... We were on the 2nd floor back of hotel and the neighboring property was remodeling so every morning at 9 a.m the jack hammering would begin.... Needless to say it was not a very good stay but don't know how the hotel could have prevented the jack hammering since it was not under their control. Good location easy to get on and off tram. Indonesian restaurant down street in yellow building is AWESOME!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We stayed in the hotel from 30.06. to 04.07.08 in a Junior suite. The suite itself was spacious and its comfort adequate, but I was shocked to the see how dirty it was. We were on the first floor, facing the backyard, as this was supposed to be calm, but as our suite was directly above the kitchen there was a nice background noise from its air conditioning, but fortunately it was shut down before midnight. Our room did not have one, so I am grateful it was not too hot. There was also a house on the other side of the backyard that was being renovated, and the work (compressors, etc) started at 8:00am. Of course the hotel was not responsible for that inconvenience, but neither was there a small basket of fruit or anything else as an apology for being awakened so early during your holiday.
It is true that the location is excellent, if you arrive by train the Tram No 4 or 9 will drop you on the Rembrandtplein, directly in front of the Hotel, and around are plenty of restaurants. I can only recommend Memories of India which serves the best Indian food that it was my pleasure to eat.
Reception was cool, if you asked you got your information, but nothing else. As for breakfast I can but strongly recommend not to take it in the hotel as it is much too expensive for what they are offering. The buffet has all essentials, hot meat, cold fruit, yogurts, cereals, etc, but no luxury items like cold salm or exotic fruits. Personally I am a fan of french breakfast and their croissants and the bread are not exactly the same as their french cousins. Also for coffee, tea or hot chocolates you have to serve yourselves from a sophisticated machine, but as it happened twice in the 5 mornings that we were there, they forgot either to stock up the milk powder or the coffee. I also managed during those five mornings to eat their entire stock of those cute little Nutella pads. As I took only 3 each morning I have no great estimation for their stocking ability, nor do I think much of their surveillance of the buffet.
So my résumé, not enough value for your money.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2008

this Hotel was not our first choice...
We booked on the website at NH Caransa which is just at the opposite side of the square but they switched us to the Schiller.
We have been very lucky.. We have been upgraded and we stayed in a renewed room at the third floor quiet large and with all the confort you need.
The location of the hotel is almost perfect (city center), but if you are looking for a quiet place it's better to choose a different place (Rembrandtplain is full of restaurants, bars and there is an intense night life).
The staff has been very kind and our 3 nights has been fantastic.
Enjoy Amsterdam

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cisalpino777
Reviewed 3 May 2008

The location of this hotel is arguably one of the best in Amsterdam in light of the short walks to all of the bars restraunts and many atractions the city has to offer however the Hotel its self has possibly seen better days. Our room was fortunately at the back of the hotel so the noise from the bars in the square did not stop us from getting a good nights sleep but the room was small and out dated. The windows did not open as they were screwed shut possibly due the the dry rot in the frames which if were opened might have lost the glass. Damp patches where vissible on the ceiling and ash trays where left on the landing outside the lift areas encouraging smokers not to smoke in the rooms but to smoke in the corridors, obviously the smoke then carried under the doors into the bedrooms if you did have an inconsiderate smoker!!. If you do insist on staying here make sure you are located at the centre of the hotel away from the lifts.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple