“Great Location, Decent Hotel but Noisy”

NH Amsterdam Schiller
Ranked #150 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 March 2010

My main whinge would be that we booked through a website on a pre paid rate, and despite me calling the hotel three times to verify when they would charge my card, and they eventually did, four days before arrival, they asked us to pay again upon arrival! Once they had checked and realised that we had in fact paid it, there was no apology regarding the mix up.
The rooms are clean and tidy, ours had a lovely view of the square - overlooking the Escape Club which rages until about 3am. Our friends that we were with had the courtyard view room and there was very quiet. That aside the other reception staff (that didn't try to double charge us) were very helpful and the room was a great size for Europe.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,630)

Reviewed 7 March 2010

Chose this hotel after our original hotel was cancelled and was more than happy with the result ! A great location, set in a really nice square with lots of bars to choose from. Would recommend this hotel for a great weekend.

Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the NH Schiller in Rembrandtplein for three nights. Because of the reviews I had read I asked on arrival at reception for a 'quiet' room and we were given room 108 at the back of the hotel on the first floor. We had booked online and got a special three nights for two deal, including breakfast. This is great value because the buffet breakfast is a fantastic start to the day. I had brought my laptop but discovered that to use it I would have to get a 10euro voucher for 24 hour usage. (I think this is a a bit mean. If there is wireless available, why not let residents use it at their own discretion? )I had difficulty using the oucher to connect, but found the reception staff were very helpful. You can also ask for a free 15minute voucher to use on their own computer (one voucher for your stay).
The tram stop is just opposite the hotel and this is very convenient. It was raining some of the time we were there (late February) and it was great to be able to 'pop' back to the hotel to our cosy room at intervals.
A down-side if you like a late night drink or just want to chill out in the lounge, is that the bar/restaurant area (very nice art deco) closed its doors at around 10.30, but of course there is plenty activity outside the Rembrandtplein itself. This picked up at the weekend, and on the Saturday night we enjoyed the benefit of being at the back of the hotel as we heard the muffled sounds of entertainment late into the night (we did have our window open too).
We would definitely go back here when visiting again if we got the same deal - roughly 80 euro a night for the two of us including a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magenmic
Reviewed 1 March 2010

NH Schiller is perfectly located in the center of Amsterdam, close to bars, restaurants and shops. It is part of the NH chain, which makes the the rooms predictable but nice and sufficient for a city trip. When I went they had a special deal and I only spent 59 euro for a single room, which is really cheap for such a hotel in the center of Amsterdam.

The only drawback was that I had a room on the first floor facing Rembrandtplein and on a Friday evening this means you hear the sounds of the bars all night. However, the staff at the front desk assured me that if next time I would indicate in my online reservation that I wanted a more quiet room at the back of the building they would take care of it. So if you want a good night sleep you may want to put this preference in your reservation or give them a call ahead of time asking for a more quiet room.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I love the location of this hotel because all of Amsterdam is walkable from here. 10-15 min walk north to Dam Square, Central Station, inner circle activities. Also 10-15 min walk south to Museum Square (Van Gogh, Rijk). There is an AH grocery to-go down the street (ask the front desk) and the tram stops across the square. As a solo female traveler, I felt very safe in the hotel and walking in the nearby area. I rarely took the tram because walking was a more enjoyable way to experience the city.
I was surprised that the bar in the hotel/restaurant closed before 11:00 at night. There are of course many options nearby, but would have been nice to have a nightcap within the hotel. I was concerned about noise from previous reviews so requested a room on the back side of the hotel. I slept soundly every night of the stay. The rooms are clean, simple, and efficient. Staff is very nice, but details are sometimes missed but I think these details get missed at most hotels in Amsterdam, e.g. they didn't call a taxi for me for an early morning departure as I'd requested, but I'd planned extra time in case this fell through knowing it was likely. I also thought the soap and shower gel were very poor quality and not effective at removing the grime and stink of days of sightseeing. There is a pillow menu, safe, hairdryer, hot water kettle and minibar. TV included about 3 BBC channels and much of the Dutch television was subtitled American programming. Although it is an older building, there is a lift. The free 15 mins of Internet daily was helpful for quick research and printing confirmations. This NH hotel was at least 25 euro cheaper than the other NH hotel across the square and almost 50 euro cheaper than other NH hotels in Amsterdam. Because it was so "cheap", I was apprehensive, but I would stay here again and recommend it to friends based on location, rooms, and friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Prime location and the previously unheard of rate I got (even for a Sunday) was unbeatable for a top class hotel near central Amsterdam. The staff was excellent, and if you appreciate classy, old style surroundings this is probably one of the best hotel choices to consider. Not "stuffy" at all.The single room was small, but multi-tiered in a cool, funky design. Bathroom was tiny, but for someone alone on business/pleasure it was plenty. Good bars, restaurants, and "cafes" right next door, great canal views/walks one or two blocks away. Approximately 10-15 minute walk from "Dam" square/red lights, or Van Gogh Museum area in another direction.
Parking (unavailable here) is expensive and tricky as usual in Amsterdam, but there's another NH nearby that offered parking with comparably (area-wise) reasonable rates (40 euro per day, less than most central streets or garages). This is an excellent location for anyone in town for a concert at Paradiso (10-15 min walk through interesting locales), and I will definitely try to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2010

The rooms were excellent, a good size and very well furnished. The bed was comfortable and the linen and towels were clean and changed regularly. It is important to ask for a room away from the main square. The first room I was given was on the square and it was too noisy, but I was moved on request to a much quieter room at the back.
The breakfast was excellent, a good range of products and really good quality fresh bread and meat. We did not eat in the restaurant but did have drinks one evening and it's a lovely venue with some beautiful artwork.
The hotel was amazingly well situated for our needs. We could walk to the Van Gogh Museum very quickly, and also to more central places so we hardly used public transport at all. Rembrandplein is very well equipped with bars and restaurants.
The hotel staff were friendly and efficient and helped us with cinema times as well as locating some of the places we needed. Gurdip (who worked in the bar) was particularly helpful.
I'd definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends