We stayed for three nights as part of a pre-booked package with BA. The location is perfect - just across the road from Dam Square, with the quieter Jordaan area just behind it, great for strolling around. The hotel has a traditional feel, with Delft tiling and dark wood, and has a bar, restaurant and coffee shop that serves wonderful warm Dutch apple cake. Our room was on the first floor at the front, and I was a bit concerned about the noise of the trams, but it was fully double-glazed, so no problem. The room was charming, with plenty of storage space (I asked for more coat hangers), a safe, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and air conditioning. The shower is just a 'mixer' type and the bath has no rubber mat and is quite deep, which made getting in and out a bit problematic if, like me, you're a bit unsteady. I'm sure the friendly and helpful staff would supply a mat, if asked. I advise bringing your own hairdryer, as this is a wall-mounted bathroom one, not brilliant. We had a problem with the basin plug, I filled in a card to hang on the door in the morning and it was fixed by the time we returned in the afternoon.
Try to get a deal that include breakfast, as it's excellent, with plenty of the usual choices, plus waffles, pancakes etc. Otherwise it's a bit expensive at 19.50 euros each. We didn't eat in the restaurant as there are so many places nearby, but the menu looked interesting!
The staff were particularly friendly and helpful (lots of football banter!) and we would definitely return to this little gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam