“Old building - great service”

Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American
Ranked #72 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Old building - great service”
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Amazement with service started before checking in. I called, asked for advice on restaurant. They sent me recommendations by email, asked for preferred date & time, and reserved for me.

Building is old, and you can't help but notice mold smell. Also room sizes are not too spacious. However, if you'll be there just to sleep, guess that's ok.

Service - great!! Breakfast - decent. Get a bfast coupon a day early to save few bucks, or if not too hungry, can grab something in Starbucks nearby.

• Stayed January 2013
American-Management, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review posting.

It gives us great pleasure to notice that our service efforts were appreciated.

The mentioned odeurs are related to the current refurbishment works and are gone or being treated.

We hope we may welcome you again soon.

With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Little Rock
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 days and the accomodations were nice. Our room was very large with all the niceities such as robes and slippers. Beds were typically European, very firm with minimal linens. Once again I found the lighting to be lacking after the sun went down. Seems very common in hotels now to forgo overhead lighting. For those of us who have a hard time seeing, this is a real nuiscance. Also the exterior is undergoing a renovation, so most of the rooms look out to scaffolding and netting. No views whatsovever which is a real shame since I think Amserdam is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The hotel seemed a bit 'tired' to me. The carpet was in awful condiition in the hallways and the low ceilings with ceiling tiles did not serve the exterior design of the building in all its grandeur. However, the location was perfect for shopping, dining and some light entertainment. The Anne Frank museum is within easy walking distance. Please beware of the quietly moving street cars that zip through the Leidsplein. Very, very dangerous. Also the 197 bus from Schiphol drops you off across the street from the hotel (about €4). None of the signage on the bus is in English so just watch for the location 'Leidsplein' to appear on the monitor. It's a good 20 minute ride. I think on our next visit, we may stay elsewhere such as the Marriott directly across the canal--I'd like a newer hotel if I'm going to pay so much for a room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal side would be much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and feedback.

Indeed we are in the process of making the look and feel of the hotel newer. Exactly as you are expecting from us. The "tired" carpets for example are soon to be replaced.

If you are able to provide the room number that you were in, we shall happily look into the lighting and make improvements.

Hopefully you will reconsider us for your next visit knowing that many improvement works are currently being carried out.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I had a good experience of staying here. I found the reception staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They kindly changed my room and I had a lovely view from a large balcony. The room was large, clean and the bed was huge! The toiletries were 'Ritual' ones which are gorgeous, so I was very pleased with those! I didn't have any food at the hotel so can't comment on that. I did have a drink in the bar and my only moan there was that as a single female traveller I seemed to be overlooked by the barman, who served a man first that obviously came in after me, and I wasn't asked if I wanted another drink at any time whilst sitting outside. Apart from that, the hotel is in an ideal location next to the Leidesplein where there's plenty of nightlife. It's an easy tram ride to the train station or a walk of about 20 minutes. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellingTree
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and your review posting. We are glad that you appreciate the hotel so much and have taken your comment concerning bar service on board. With best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The Amsterdam American hotel was in a perfect location for all local tourist attractions, from Vodelpark, the Heineken museum and also the Anne Frank museum - depending on what you fancied.

The hotel staff were friendly and polite, check in was efficient and easy.

The room was a good size and was very comfortable, we had everything we needed. Room was cleaned on a daily basis.

If we visit Amsterdam again which I'm sure we will I would definitely stay in the American hotel again

Room Tip: We had a room facing the side which was nice as we could see the canal and also people milling aroun...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and your feedback.

We are proud that you consider our hotel your absolute first choice in Amsterdam. We shall continue to keep up the standards that resulted in the confidence that you have in us.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I've been in Amsterdam many times and each time I stayed in a different location in the city. I found out that near Leidseplein is the best place to be. This hotel is very close to Leidseplein and close to Vondelpark. The room was big and clean. The staff was very polite and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LigiaFortes
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and your review posting. We are proud that you consider us the best hotel in Amsterdam. We keep up the job of trying to convince all other travellers of the same! With best regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Just back from a 4 night stay here between Christmas and New years. Hotel is a fabulous old building with a decorative fountain on the way in. Check in was quick and easy and the concierge was always friendly and attentive. The room was small but had everything we needed and as we paid a relatively low price we probably had one of the smaller rooms. Not a problem as we only slept there and spent the days exploring and the nights eating and drinking. The restaurant of the hotel is a very fine setting and very popular. Food in it is quite expensiove but it is worth going in even for a drink. The bar is also a lovely place to go and a nice change from all the Irish bars. The only complaint I have was the rudeness of the bar man on one night while he was telling us they were closing. Location is excellent, right in the thick of things but a world away once inside. Will definitely stay here next time in Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your feedback.

It gives us great pleasure to read that we will again be your destination of choice upon your next visit to the capital of The Netherlands.

We look forward to welcome you back!