“A let-down”

GreenLeadersGold level
Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
“A let-down”
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Arriving at the American we were impressed with the facade. Prompt checking in a boring lobby for such a great building was a bit of a let-down. Arrived at room 134 and were disappointed by the small size of the room. The stained glass window was very impressive though. Bathroom was small but fine. The 'customer comment' card was filled in and left there from the 15th of April, this was now the 18th. We were there until the 21st and the card was never removed/replaced.
The bar staff weren't particularly friendly and our kir royales were not cold at all, our wine later wasn't particularly cold either. The location is good for the Leidseplein and all its 'attractions', and the outside terrace and it's staff were very good. Overall it wasn't a bad experience but next time we will rather stay at the more impressive and professional Krasnapolsky or the Doelen which were both unfortunately fully booked on this occassion.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Just spent 3 nights in Amsterdam at the American Hotel. My husband and I had one room- our two children 20 and 22 had another. Can't say enough nice things about the hotel. Lots of character, the dining room is beautiful. Rooms are large for a European hotel - ours had beautiful stained glass windows.The location is great - we were able to walk everywhere and lots to do for the kids at night after us old folks turned in. Yes, you may hear the tram at night or some of the lively activity outside, but it was worth it to be in one of the best parts of the city right on a canal and in a busy square. Breakfast came with our room fee - a wonderful buffet each morning with a chef ready to fry eggs or make us an omelet or waffle. The hotel is has all modern amenities, but retains the charm and elegance of a 100+ year old facility. I would definitely stay here again. Not cheap, but what hotel in a city is these days? Breakfast included helped - otherwise would have been 19.50 euros each, so it made a difference. We just stayed in three nice hotels in Europe and this one was the best.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank sb254
North East
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We were booked into another hotel in the city but when they could not accommodate us we were transferred to the American. We found it very easily as it is right in the square and has some unmissable fountains outside. The location was great as shops, cafe's and bars were all really close. Also there is a canal cruise departing from right outside. We were treated very well on arrival. The staff were polite and helpful. The rooms were lovely and spacious with huge beds, although the views from our windows weren't great. We had a wonderful stay in Amsterdam thanks to this great hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mackemmaddy
Camberley
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We booked 2 rooms and requested that they be close together and that is exactly what we got. Our daughter's was small but with a lovely balcony overlooking the fountains in the square; she loved it. Ours was small, dark and with windows so high up the wall I could not reach to open or see out of them. They faced 3 concrete walls around some sort of inner space about the size of our room. Our room had space for one person to access either side of the very comfortable and large bed and one person between the end of the bed and the dresser. The door to the bathroom could not be opened at the same time as the wardrobe, or the main door. To put the suitcase away in the bottom of the wardrobe required a high degree of logic. Yet the wardrobe was spacious with an ironing board and iron. The room was so dark, I lost a pair of black socks, only finding them when packing on the last day. In the bathroom, I could not stretch my arms out fully when towelling my back (I am just over 5 feet tall with arms in proportion), but that didn't really matter since despite daily requests for bath towels, we only received them on our third night. On our first night, we were told that they had run out of them! Good shower and the lighting was good in here.
Breakfast was very expensive but there was a good range; the few waiters employed in the morning worked hard keeping tables cleared and coffee served. I did not like the fact that tourists were allowed in, by a manager, to take photos of the salon while guests were eating breakfast - very intrusive. Generally all staff were very friendly and helpful, but then we found ourselves commenting that nearly everyone we spoke to on our trip was just so.
The restaurant dinner menu did nothing to attract our custom; the bar however was a really great place to sit and people watch, until, on our last evening there, I spotted a mouse (with or without clogs on) running about. When I pointed this out to the barman, (as I am slightly hysterical at the sight of such things), he simply stated that they always have them!
Although we had secured a good price of 95 Euros per night per room, the descriptions led us to expect bathrobes and elegance; we got basic. However it is a beautiful hotel in a prime location with excellent staff; and when we commented on the room at check-out, they agreed with us - 329 is a very disappointing room. Insist on a canal or fountain view when booking. And take your own mousetrap!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CamberleyNel
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Things I liked about this hotel: you could see the red American Hotel sign from far away, it was nice to see it pop into view when I was tired. Beautiful art deco architecture. Very clean room, comfortable bed. Hotel right on the Singel Canal. I lucked out with a canal view room and I drank coffee in the morning watching the tour boats pull up below. There is a park bench right there outside the hotel, on the canal, for you to just sit and people watch. (or have that smoke that you are not allowed to have in the room). Tram stop right across the street. Walking distance to all the museums, to everything really, if you like to walk. Don't bother with the breakfast, too expensive for a tired hotel buffet, instead, walk around the corner to the Pancake House. Cheaper, hotter, more tasty. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank TinaNYC
Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2009

The hotel is located in an excellent location, in the middle of Leidseplein with many restaurants. It is next to several tram routes, so it's a good base to explore Amsterdam. It's located next to the canal as well.

The hotel building is beautiful. It was built in 1900 and is listed as a monument. However inside the hotel, the rooms are very trendy and nicely decorated. Our room had beautiful canal views. Amsterdam has many attractions, but staying at this hotel is like an attraction to itself.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Deep South
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I have been a guest at the American Hotel at least 8 times since 1992. Each time was different. I've had rooms canal side, once a room fronting the square on an upper floor with a tiny balcony. Amsterdam is typically my point of arrival, so having a nice room in a great location is a wonderful way to begin a trip. My issue with this hotel is that it has changed ownership several times and management/housekeeping /.food & bar are extremely inconsistent. Sometimes it is spotless, sometimes not. Typically the breakfast buffet is fabulous, however, at the cost per person it should be. When it is off, it is OFF. The Night Watch is always a great spot for a drink, coming in or going out. My last visit may well be my last. After a transatlantic flight, checked in, had a great walk, blah, blah, blah. Tried to adjust the body clock, went to bed fairly early (before 10 pm). Woke to the sound of television, loud talking. Eventually called the desk to complain(like at 1:30 a.m., 3:30 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.) Drunken stoned thugs/soccer fans, 4 of them, evidently did not sleep the entire night. Nor did I. I regret being civil at the desk, did not want to be an "Ugly American" at the American. The very young lady in charge could have absolutely cared less. I told her that I had been a frequent guest, wanted to be changed to the room which I had requested, etc. Made it abundantly clear that the guests in the room next door had been HORRIBLE. (Thugs checked out, so desk declined to move us). With great pain they reluctantly comped our breakfast. I felt sick from jet lag/lack of sleep for what was basically two days, not to mention that for a tiny room, on the tram side could have just as well stayed at a Vondel Park hostel. Yes, it is a beautiful building. Stunning light fixtures. Some of the rooms are very nice. Sometimes staff are courteous and responsive to requests: extra towels/pillows. They do a great job on issues related to ordering cabs, storing luggage, etc. I have had many fabulous days and nights at the American, however, next trip will try the Park, or go back to the Pulitizer or Marriot. I love, love, love the location, but at this stage of life do not care to gamble on a good nights sleep, particularly at that cost per night.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends