“Excellent location”

Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American
Ranked #71 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights (24-28/5/2009). The biggest asset of this hotel it is it's location. The rooms are ok and in my case the bathroom was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The staff is very helpfull and polite in the whole hotel, the food is good and restaurant is a landmark from the 20's. Internet connection is very expensive and in my opinion a 5* hotel should have wi-fi for it's guests. An good overall experience, mainly based on the location and the staff.

2  Thank MonicaCyprus
Write a ReviewReviews (3,249)

Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is a great location hotel, away from the noise of the Grand Central Station, and next to all the spots you want to visit. It is just a tram away from the Central Train Station.

But, the best part of this hotel is their friendliness, a genuine presence that the Dutch folks want to really invite you to this fine city. They manifest it in their bellhop service, I called in five seconds, they were in our room. No, I am not exaggerating, as I hanged up the phone, the knock on the door is heard. It was the bellman.

When we needed referral to a good Indonesian restaurant, they gave us precise directions and they gave us a good referral.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean but, of course, since this is Amsterdam, space is a premium. Even for an American hotel, it felt so cramped, yet, I would probably be told, this is already spacious by Dutch standards. This hotel is worth every penny you pay them, they return to you in terms of four star service. Internet is easy to do, but expensive euros.., my only complaint.

And breakfast is great, a buffet that is well chosen and more generous even by French standards, it was the best breakfast I have had in Europe. Quite satisfying for an American used to hefty portions! But perhaps overwhelming for a French appetite

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank prosyad
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I stayed at the Edan American on the 15th May 09. We were in Amsterdam for my friends Hen Do there were 10 of us in total. The hotel was perfectly located just off Leidsplein Square where there are lots of bars. The hotel is just near a tram stop which makes anywhere in the city easy to get to. The Hotel itself we found to be excellent the staff could not do enough to help!! We stayed in a lovely refurbed room on the 3rd floor with a balcony - it was lovely. The rest of the party stayed in the rooms still waiting to be updated but they found them to be of a good standard with plenty of room. I would recommend this hotel to others especially for the sevice and the location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynn2Manchester
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Stayed at the hotel American for 3 nights.Room was very comfortable,bed was huge,as was the bathroom.The location of the hotel is excellent , we were able to walk to all the main sites.The only down point was the cost of the breakfast,19.95euros,we did not have it and went every day to The Sports bar in the square.
If we come to Amsterdam again I would stay at this hotel.

1  Thank Wendy03
Reviewed 18 May 2009

The hotels location is perfect for first time travellers in Amsterdam, ( others too:-) ) it is within walking distance of everything, and if you prefer not to walk, the tram is just outside the hotel entrance.

The hotelroom was small ( american classic) and the floors were creaky,( we could even here them walking around in the next room), but it was clean and cosy.
We had requested a room with canal view, and we had a great view over the canal.

The air condition is well functioning, but makes some noise. opening the windows was not a good option, since traffic in Amsterdam seemed to never stop.
Even so, we got 4 good nights sleep, in very comfortable beds.

The restaurant was a huge let down, since we had heard good things about it, we had dinner one evening and ate out all other nights, for less euros and more tasting food.

For a glas of wine and a tasty lunch and/or dinner Tomaz cafe close to Begijnhof can be recommended, we sat down there every day. It was a great little place.

Shopping area is just around the corner, so is the hectic nightlife at Leidseplein, wich we enjoyed.

Unfortunately it rained quite a lot during our long weekend, so we didnt walk around as much as we would have if the weather was good, but we still had a very relaxing and romatic weekend.

Amsterdam and the Eden american hotel can most definately be recommended, just don't have breakfast at the hotel. it is incredible overprized.

Reviewed 5 May 2009

This is such a great hotel in an excellent location! After reading some great reviews about this hotel I booked it for our euro vacation and was so pleased!!! I took the advice of one reviewer who suggested contacting the hotel and asking for a room with a canal view or street view and I am so glad I did because we were given a room with an incredible panoramic view of the street and outside water fountain and it was so nice!!! Its in a heavily touristic area which is so perfect because tram #5 is literally outside of the hotel and EVERYTHING is within walking distance. I loved every second of amsterdam because we were situated perfectly and the hotel lived up to its standards. The only little incident we had was at breakfast one morning where we went to get some eggs and the eggs were so over cooked we couldnt eat them. The Maitre D promptly had the eggs replenished and did not charge us for breakfast that morning. I'm sorry, but thats good service if you ask me. And nobody gave us a hard time about it for 1 second! :) I will definitely come back to this hotel! You will be so pleased with its location and pretty decent sized room & bathroom for a european hotel! FYI - they have wifi for a fee and its not worth ordering room service with so much to choose from walking distance from the hotel.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from spending five nights in this hotel. The location is convenient. But, the room was extremely small. The walls needed a paint touch up. The room definitely would not merit 5 stars at home in the USA. Maybe 3 stars. The front desk was nice and helpful. They let us check in at 9am. Downside, there was no news on the tv in English. No CNN international. Covers on the king bed were strange. 2 twin quilts. Paid wi-fi only. Nice hot water in showers. Room had hair dryer but no bath robes as advertised. Close to the museums.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple