“perfectly located charming hotel for a high price”

Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
Ranked #26 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Moscow, Russia
“perfectly located charming hotel for a high price”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

i definitely liked the hotel because of it's great location, nice stuff, comfortable rooms, old building and decoration.
the hotel is perfectly located, just in the middle of the action. there is shopping street, lots of bars and restaurants just around the corner.
charming old building, very small but comfortable rooms with large windows. small clean bathroom with a window.
the price is high but the hotel worth it. would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 15 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for last Christmas and New Years. My email correspondence prior to arrival was always promptly responded to and the staff went above and beyond my expectations in filling my requests. We had a Jr Suite with a balcony and it was amazing. Watching the fireworks on New Years was a priceless view. The club lounge was also a great treat. To be able to sit and relax right in front of a pedestrian only zone and watch the flow of people with a beverage was terrific. I am not sure what was best - the room, the staff or the location. I would recommend this hotel and have already booked again for the upcoming holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The good points is the location (close to centrum station and a mere 5 min max walk), staff, cleanliness, decor....and the of course the bed.!!
Just to repeat previously reviews of that the internet is crazy for 20euros (minus 20% (16euros)) for Platinum members) for 24 hours (which I might add is TOTAL for 24 hours...not as most places of 24 Hours of USAGE!).
They did give me 2 free drinks voucher being a platinum member must be what previous members have been complaining about as normally you get 1 free breakfast and one free drink voucher. Although, seeing I'd already paid the ridiculous amount of 25euros for the breakfast for 8 days (yes that's eight days.....you make the maths).
Overall it is a very nicely decorated hotel, which feels new and clean and to be completely honest it’s the staff and location are the best thing about this hotel.
Would I stay again?
It depends.......Being on business the internet was a real issue for me.....but honestly, I would stay possibly without the ridiculous price for the normal standard of breakfast for this rated hotel!. Also, think twice on their loyalty issues as previous reviewers have said so don’t expect anything more than a free drink or maybe a free breakfast (ONE of course!!) even if you stay for over 8 nights!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank NOTqwertyedYET
CPamsterdam, Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us with regards to your stay at our hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us to take action and improve our quality of products and services.

We are very pleased to read that besides our location, the cleanliness of the hotel and the beds, you indicate our colleagues as one of the good qualities of this hotel. Especially as we believe that our colleagues can make the difference!

However it worries us to read your comments about the service/benefits which you received as a Platinum Priority Club member. I therefore hope that you would allow me the opportunity to personally discuss your feedback with you. Could you please inform me on an appropriate time to contact you on and send me your contacts details via e-mail to amsnl.gsc@ihg.com. I would definitely like to learn from your observation and upgrade our service level so hopefully you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Aernout de Jong

Boston
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Back for my 3rd visit. Close to train station and all to see And do in Amsterdam. Large-ish rooms for Europe. Spotless facility. Unsurpassed service. Will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 9 July 2011

A perfectly managed hotel. Centrally located. Very courteous staff. Excellent facilities and everything works. Stayed in the club room with access to the club lounge which itself well maintained. Somehow the free Internet access provided in the club room never worked properly- something really needs to be done

• Stayed May 2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times, always for business. Very good location, nice quiet rooms, very good restaurant. This time I was very disappointed that the wi-fi internet was not working. I was not informed of this major inconvenience when I checked in, and I was repeatedly assured by the front desk staff that the problem would be resolved "within an hour". Except that it wasn't. A business hotel without internet is simply unacceptable. The response of the front desk staff has been even worse. I received profuse apologies and the assurance that the problem will be resolved soon. That is a day late and a dollar short. The front desk should have clearly informed me that internet was not working, in which case I would have gone to another hotel. As it was, their misinformation caused me lots of problems, loss of business, etc. I guess refunding the payment for non-performance is not part of the Crowne Plaza's policy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Rocketleech
CPamsterdam, Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to explain you comments and feedback to me over the telephone.
Once again I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to learn from your input and to improve our future service.

We are very honoured that you have decided to visit us again as this gives us the opportunity to provide you with the service which you may expect of the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. I look forward meeting you personally on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Aernout de Jong
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed here for three nights, the room was excellent, spacious with a very comfortable bed. They also had aromatherapy to help you sleep! The bath was also very relaxing after a long flight. I found the location very good, with a short walk to the train station, trams everywhere and a quick walk to the city centre.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business