“Some frills but basics need attention” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
Ranked #25 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mumbai
“Some frills but basics need attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I booked two nights at this hotel. I was warmly welcomed and a room in the supposedly 'quiet side' was offered. The check in staff were courteous to call and ask if I was satisfied with the room which as well appointed including aroma therapy sleep aid on the pillow.

Being a very light sleeper, I was looking forward to some rest after a long journey. To my disappointment the non stop sound of trams, ambulance and police cars kept me awake most of the night. I called the reception late night and after some discussion they agreed to change my room the next day.

In the morning as requested Ileft my belongings packed in the room as the front desk had assured that they would move my bag to the room on the back side. To my disappoint,ent late in the afternoon when I returned my bag wasn't moved neither was a room ready. Not wanting to wait further I opted to move to the room on another floor. I was assured this was quieter. To my disappointment again there was sounds in he night and this was the second night that I could not sleep. They receptionist coded the wrong key type twice and so all I did as run from one room and one floor to another exhausted but mindlessly moving about .

I was supposed to extend my stay by one night at crowne plaza but because of the noise problem, I moved to another hotel next to Crowne plaza. Guess what? Had no problems sleeping there and when they assigned a quiet room it was actually quiet and I slept well.

Makes me wonder why a hotel of such high reputation fails to achieve customer satisfaction in terms of sleep, one of the most important things on a business trip.

So, for the brand name and overall experience I recommend this hotel but for sleep, specially if you are a light sleeper, please avoid this property.

Room Tip: Try asking for a quiet room but it doesn't really serve the purpose.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. We are pleased to read you enjoyed the warm welcome and appreciated the courtesy call upon entering your room.

I am however disappointed to read we were not able to live up to your expectations in regards to a quiet room and the follow up on the room-move. Could you please contact me at your earliest convenience by emailing: amsnl.gsc@ihg.com in order for us to discuss the matter more in detail.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Truckee, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My husband and I spent four days at the crown plaza, city center. We enjoyed a club room, and we highly suggest this room for your visit. It includes free internet, and access to the club lounge. The location is excellent, as the central train station is a simple walk. Every one that works here is pleasant and helpful, and the service is great.

2 Thank MissNoraS
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

We are pleased to read you qualify our staff as helpful and pleasant and comment on the service as being great. It is also wonderful to read you enjoyed the extra's a Clubroom has to offer. Free WIFI and Access to the clublounge are just a few of the extra's, the Nespresso and upgraded bathroom facilicities also ensures you receive some extra luxury during your stay.

We hope to read another review from you soon indicating ""Second visit to Amsterdam""! Looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is a 4 stars hotel located in a strategic position in the heart of Amsterdam, just few hundreds meter far from Amsterdam Central railway station.
It provides the guests a very good services level.
The building has been recently refurbished, the lobby is made for business men, and it is possible to have meeting rooms available for all kind of meetings, Wi – fi is covering the whole building with a very good signal. The furniture’ style is minimal, everything is functional, stylish but it does not look like a “Rococo church” full of golden decorations and so on. Nevertheless in the rooms you will find all what you can desire from an hotel. First of all the room is perfectly clean and provided with all the comforts: 40 inches LCD TV, extremely comfort bed and pillows, a wide modern and functional bathroom, wardrobe with light inside, safety box, minibar, business desk , different type of sockets to plug electronic devices (AUS/NZL sockets included).
Rooms are wide, quiet and well equipped things that make the staying really comfortable, especially after an hard working day.
A cattle with a selection of Ceylon and Japanese organic tea, biscuits, instant coffee and chocolate, dark chocolate tablets, 500 ml of water are provided everyday free as room facilities. Executive floor and lounge available.
The staff is very professional and friendly, the room service is quick responding.
The breakfast is good, in any case they have to improve the selection of jams (only strawberry and orange taste available) such as the selection of cheese (we are in Holland!!!!) and ham. It is possible to have fried eggs, omelettes and crepes expressly made by a chef present in the breakfast room…which is the same location of the New Dorrius restaurant.
I checked out the New Dorrius again (business dinner) and I found out the same excellent level of cousine.
Internet, always available but…it is not acceptable to pay 6,95 Euro (1 hour) , and moreover it is impossible to stop and start again the connection session, or 19,94 Euro (one day) for the connection.
The “Health Club” is small but equipped with a good range of cardio fitness machines and also multi power machine for body building.
The sauna room is not in good maintenance conditions.
1) Thermometer out of order, signs always 40°.
2) It is impossible to poor water into the “aroma system” as the big wooden spoon is completely broken
3) The shower side jets are out of order.
The sauna room is perfectly clean, no problem under this profile.
This hotel has been created more as business Hotel than a “family hotel”, even if it is nice also to spend some vacations with the family in the Crowne Plaza. For that reason I find the internet policy quite stupid, as you find around the hotel some pubs which provide FREE INTERNET CONNECTION to all their customers. Considering the room rate it seems to be at least anachronistic.
In any case, considering the whole matter, the Crowne Plaza is a very good, modern, elegant, and efficient hotel, I suggest to book here more for business than for leisure time, but, of course this is my feeling.
To be an excellent hotel they have to improve breakfast, to think of a decent internet connection policy , and to repair the sauna room. I know these are details, but when are not staying in an Hostel details are the most important things…especially for a 4 stars hotel and up…

1 Thank starcluster01
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and comment on various topics such as cleanliness of the room, friendliness of the staff and the hotels' location.

Thank you also for your comments captioning the fitness and sauna area, and the selection of cheeses and jams on our breakfast buffet. We have taken action on the various points you have mentioned in your review in order to continue to deliver the service guests come here to experience.

Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I spent a two nights at Crowne Plaza and I have to say it was very good hotel. Everything I needed was close to the hotel and service was excellent.
Good food, good beer: do you need much more after work? It's in downtown so there is everything else you'd need.

Room Tip: My colleague said something about noise, but his room was on roadside of the building
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPamsterdam, Food and Beverage Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear valued Guest,

We are pleased to read you qualify the service as excellent and the food and beer as good. Did you know that as a guest you use our double Dutch offer order 2 drink for the price of 1 between the hours of 5PM to 6PM and 11 to 12PM.

We look forward welcoming you back at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre and New Dorrius Restaurant and Bar.

Kind Regards,

Food and Beverage Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Great hotel- excellent central location. My only negative comment was that breakfast was expensive- many places very near to eat at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the hotel quiet side...........
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CPamsterdam, Food and Beverage Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
"Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review concerning your recent visit to Amsterdam and the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, we are pleased to read you qualify us as a great hotel with an excellent location. Located in walking distance of Amsterdam Central station the hotel is located near most of Amsterdam City attractions like Dam Square and the Royal Palace, the Jordaan, Anne Frank Museum and Shopping district.

We are sorry to read that you find our breakfast ""expensive"". We do our best to deliver a diversity of products within our Full American breakfast buffet and egg station. The restaurant furthermore offers Dutch cuisine with an international twist for both lunch and dinner and is perfectly suited for a glass of wine after a full day programme.

Again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre in the near future.

Food & Beverage Manager"
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Me and my husbend stied in the hotel between 1/13 to 1/15
The hotel is located in a great location , 5 minutes from the centarl station
( take a train from the airport -4.30 ero)
the rooms are clean
brakefast is very good
and dinner is excellent
you better stay there
tammy

"Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review concerning your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. It is wonderful to read you have had such a great stay with us and that you describe our guest rooms to be clean.

We are glad to read that the central location of our hotel was helpful during travelling. As Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is located near the Central Station with frequent connections to Schiphol Airport, our hotel could have great benefits for travellers.

It is delightful to learn that you have had such a great experience at our Restaurant & Bar New Dorrius and that you describe our breakfast to be very good and our dinner to be excellent. Come and join us also for a light lunch in the afternoon, a relaxing diner in the evening or simply a good glass of wine at the bar in New Dorrius.

Again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward having the pleasure of welcoming you to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre and Restaurant & Bar New Dorrius. In the meantime, if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Food & Beverage Manager
Horsens, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

This hotel is located not too far from the train station, and clean. After staying at a horrible hotel in paris, this hotel seemed like the Caesars palace.

At the entrance of the hotel we had to go through group of people cigg. and weed outside, and the smell was coming into the building.

The staffs were friendly and professional, only problem we had was we requested 2 queen room, but getting 1 queen & 1 twins. It wasn't that big of a deal though, after long traveling with my hubby, it was nice to sleep on my own bed and blanket!

I thought the breakfast were kind of pricey, because it was 25 euro per person. They had good selections of food but i still think it wasn't worth 25 euro.

Would I stay here again if I come back to Amsterdam? definitely, but I'd probably find some place else for breakfast & food.

"Dear valued guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre with us. It is with great pleasure to learn that you describe our team to be friendly and professional.

We are sorry to learn that we were not able to offer you the room that you originally booked. Therefore we would like to make our sincere apologies.

It also worries us to read your comments regarding the breakfast. With certain rates like a clubroom with access to our Club Lounge, breakfast and internet is already inclusive in the rate. These rooms also feature a coffeemaker and upgraded bathroom amenities as well access to our Club Lounge which gives you the opportunity to lunch and appetizers and complimentary drinks throughout the day.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. Meanwhile, if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

"