“great location poor breakfast”

Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
Ranked #25 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Istanbul
“great location poor breakfast”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I spent three nights at this hotel. As it has been stated several times before it is a city-center hotel and it is possible to walk to many touristic attraction sites. The central station is only a few minutes away on foot. The room was nicely furnished and convenient. The bed was very comfortable. There were coffee/tea bags and a kettle. The bathroom was clean. The toilet items were not plentiful. There were no cotton swabs or cotton; I asked for some but could not get any (I do not know the reason). My room was on the fifth floor and facing the main street. There was some traffic noise (mainly trams). That did not bother me much (I sleep well under almost any circumstance) but could be problematic for a light-sleeper. Wi-fi internet connection was not free of charge. Breakfast was actually quite poor. There were only a few things to choose and they did not taste great. There were no coffee-machines and the service was very slow. The breakfast issue something that this hotel should work on.

Room Tip: rooms facing the main street are noisy
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre Hotel.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the furnishings and the bed in the room. I am sorry to read we were not able to provide you with cotton swaps and you did not enjoy the breakfast we served you.

I would like to get in touch with you in order to discuss both matters more into detail. This feedback is valuable to us and therefore I would like you to encourage you to contact me by emailing me at maurice.janssen@ihg.com.

I am looking forward hearing from you.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Ok I'm biased they recognised my partner was celebrating a birthday and we found a lovely hand written note and an even lovelier bottle of red wine in the room a nice touch!! Good room well equipped and a comfy bed. I recommend the restaurant downstairs really good. All in all a well run hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre hotel.

We are pleased to hear you choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to celebrate this special moment. I am happy to see your qualify the hotel as. `well run with friendly staff`

Thank you also for recommending our restaurant `New Dorrius`. I am looking forward to your return to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed here for my husband's 40th in April and loved it. Ideal location 5 mins from train station. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a very good size and modern. It was also very clean with the maid in every day! It was in great location with everything being in walking distance.There's many cafes and bars around it that your spoilt for choice.Its a 5 min walk to Dam square down the side of the hotel were you will also find many shops and fast food restaurants. We didn't eat at the hotel but noticed the restaurant was busy every night! Going to go back to Amsterdam this year and would stay at the Crowne Plaza again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your Husbands 40th Birthday bash at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre hotel. I am pleased to see you have choosen Amsterdam to celibrate to event.

I am already looking forward to your next visit to Amsterdam and am very honored to read you will stay with us again.

We hope on your next visit, you will join us for Lunch or Dinner in New Dorrius restaurant and bar and experience the wonderful menu of dutch classics with an international twist.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to prepare your next visit for you.

Melbourne
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Like other reviewers I was very impressed with warm welcome at this hotel and the friendliness of all staff. Concierge was terrific, room service excellent but I too found the room got stuffy and unpleasant because windows didn't open for fresh air. The room was very comfortable with everything I needed - tea and coffee making facilities, robe and slippers, good TV, good toiletries, wi-fi (again at the ridiculous cost of 19.90 euro a day but with 25% discount for priority members which is at least something). However, I did have a problem with lack of fresh air which meant I couldn't stay in the room for too long. This seems to be a common problem in, ironically, many of the more expensive hotels. However, apart from this, I could find no fault with this hotel and they went out of their way to please. Also, it is only a couple of hundred metres from Centraal Station so very convenient if you are coming on public transport from the airport.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear valued guest,

Many thank for your review following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel and especially the friendliness of all the staff.

It is also wonderful to see that the room offered you everything you needed. I am sorry to read that you did not like the fact the window did not open. Upon your next visit to Amsterdam please contact me at maurice.janssen@ihg.com in order to request a room with open window. We do have a limited availability op rooms that have the option to minimally open the window.

We hope to welcome you back soon to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre hotel.

Nottigham, UK
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed for 1 night on business. Had a nice bedroom with plenty of space but the bathroom was rather small. Was a funny shape and appeared to have been crammed into an awkward corner. According to my colleagues other rooms do not have this issue. Other than that my stay was very good. Breakfast buffet provided everything I could have wanted. The gym is small and limited on equipment and would benefit from a refit, but I guess that's not a priority for them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for commenting on the hotel by writing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are always pleased to receive these valuable comments from our guests.

We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City. Most of our bathrooms have the approximate same size. We are sorry to see that you found the bathroom to be on the small side.

We have taken note of your comments in regards to our fitness facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon to Amsterdam and the Crowne Plaza!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have visited Amsterdam on a number of occassions over the years for work and for holidays, and have stayed in a different hotel every time. I really want to find a favourite hotel to return to, but it eludes me. And after my recent stay at the Crowne Plaza, it seems the search continues...

I stayed for 3 nights and it was good, but not great. The best part of my stay was the experience at check-in. I was greeted by a very friendly and professional staff member who made me feel genuinely welcome. She explained all of the benefits of my priority club membership and was an absolute pleasure to interact with. After a long flight from Australia, this warm greeting made a real difference.

My standard room was fine - the bed was comfy and although the bathroom was smaller than usual, it was functional and clean. My only gripe was that the windows in the bedroom don't open. This made the room stuffy and for me, it was uncomfortable to spend too much time inside. I was in Amsterdam for a business trip and needed to do some work - unfortunately the room was not conducive to this.

I didn't eat at the restaurant, nor did I have breakfast at the hotel - there were lots of cheap breakfast options within the immediate surrounds. I did have room service on a few occassions though, and thought it was pretty good.

All up, this was a good hotel. The staff were friendly and the room was clean and modern. If only the windows would open!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

We are pleased to hear you were warmly welcomed to the hotel and that this made a difference for you. We also enjoy reading in regards to the room allocation and that in general you enjoyed the hotel and the room.

We are sorry to hear you did not like the fact that the windows in the room did not open. The amount of rooms with the option to open the windows unfortunately are very minimal. We do think however this should not prevent you from booking with us in the future. Please contact me (maurice.janssen@ihg.com) for your next visit to Amsterdam to allocate the appropriate room for you.

We hope you will decide to stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre again on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Belfast,N.Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed one night in April 2012.Good location close to Central Station.Very comfortable room with amazing bed.Very clean room and bathroom.Good soundproofing.Tea/coffee facilities in room.Good variety of food at breakfast.Very professional staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre with the travelcommunity.

It is always great to hear from our guests. It is wonderful to see you enjoyed your stay from staff to accommodations and from bed comfort to breakfast.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza in the near future.