“Excellent choice....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Athens, Greece
“Excellent choice....”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was our best stay in a Crowne Plaza.We speak for a new hotel with great standards excellent staff and vary warm atmosphere.The fa mily room we stayed was excellent for 2 adults and 2 children(ages 13 and 15).The sofa bed was very comfy.The location is very good during daylight.Late at night the surroundings don't give you the feeiling of safety you need when you travel with your family.But this has nothing to do with the hotel.The onny thing that can be improved is the breakfast and its variety with the sweets.It is very poor.Thank you very much for the 4 great days you offered us!!!

Room Tip: no special advice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dorkyr
CPamsterdam, Food & Beverage Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 14 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you comment your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre as being you best stay in a Crowne Plaza!

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I agree with you that the location is very convenient. Indeed the central railway station is located within 5 minutes from the hotel. The public transport also stops right in front of the hotel and will take you to all the highlights of Amsterdam. Our concierge will be happy to assist you by giving advice what the best places are to visit in Amsterdam and of course what the best restaurants are to visit while you are here.

Thank you for your feedback concerning the breakfast buffet, this allows us to monitor and improve our services continually. We are currently looking into options to improve our breakfast.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is hoping to welcoming you back one day!

Jaap Roomeijer
F&B Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My best friend and myself bought our girlfriends trips to Amsterdam as Christmas presents/anniversary. Shopping, spa, etc. We all went after News Years. My friend is IHG platinum status and I'm gold so we booked both rooms under his name for the perks. Rooms were great and due to our status we got free upgrades and drink vouchers to the bar. Before we arrived I called reception to see if I could arrange something special in the rooms to surprise our ladies. Due to the platinum status we received a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and delicious homemade dessert treats. These we waiting in our room arranged beautifully when we got back from shopping. Just perfect.
Everyone was very friendly and quick to help. Bartender gave good tips on dining and made special accommodations with the drinks. Just lovely all around.
My only complaint(I'm being picky here) is that when we made the reservations we asked if I could move the reward points to my account as we checked out since my friend is already platinum status and I am just gold. When we went to check out we were told that this was not possible and that my friend would get the points for both rooms even though I paid for both rooms. Not a big deal since we did get the perks due to his status but we would have booked differently had we known this was the case.
All in all I can only recommend this hotel. I travel for business at least 100 days of the year and all over the world. This is a fine location and worth every cent. As far as the IHG brands go this is the best hotel I've been to yet in their portfolio. Thank you again for an amazing time and world class customer service!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billy123456T
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with the travel community,

It is wonderful to read that you choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to spend your Christmas in.

I am sorry to read the inconvenience you experienced regards to the IHG Rewards Club Membership. We understand you are disappointed that you did not receive the points for your stay on your account. Unfortunately due to the reservation being made by another member these points are automatically registered to that member. Would you like to receive the points separately we advice you to book the rooms separately to prevent this from happening in the future.

We do hope to welcome you back one day at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We travelled to Amsterdam for a city break over New Year. We were very pleased with the Crowne Plaza, the rooms were clean and had several lovely finishing touches including cakes and wine delivered to our room on our first day.

The staff were extremely helpful with all of our requests and very attentive with luggage.

The location is great which enabled us to walk to many of the local attractions.

We had upgraded to a club room which allowed us to use the club lounge- an excellent added extra. We would return to this hotel again if we revisit Amsterdam in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emzs19
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 8 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to spend New Year's Eve in. Furthermore it is a pleasure to read that you appreciated the amenity which was placed in your room to celebrate the special occasion.

It is great to read that you appreciated the services delivered and that you will visit our hotel again when returning to Amsterdam.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is already looking forward to welcoming you back!

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Excellent hotel in a prime location, I don't know how anybody could give this hotel a bad review, reception staff were friendly and very helpful, we have just spent 3 nights at this hotel including new year s eve, rooms are excellent and the hotel is very modern, I would just like to thank the staff for a fantastic stay, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
CPamsterdam, General Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you spend New Year's Eve at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. The hotel is located in the city center and within reach of many of the highlights which Amsterdam has to offer.

It is also a great pleasure to read that you thank the staff and highly recommend our hotel. The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is already looking forward to welcoming you back during one of your future visits to the city of Amsterdam!

Aernout de Jong
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and myself have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam city centre. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the central train station which, itself, is only a 15 minute journey from Schiphol airport. Catching the train from Schiphol has to be the preferred method of travel as it costs less than 4 euros per person for a standard 2nd class ticket and is very easy to navigate.

The hotel is easy to find and is in a great, central location, 5 minutes walk from Dam Square, the red light district and many other attractions. A variety of canal cruises leave from the canal in front of the train station which, again, is minutes away.

The reception staff were very welcoming and very friendly. The hotel is part of the IHG (International Hotel Group) and if you join up you will have the cost of wi-fi waived for the duration of your stay. It costs nothing to join and I'm very glad that my wife did so before we left. That saved us some 19 euros per night, or so.

The room was a standard double room but was very spacious, more so than I have found in any previous standard double and I've stayed in a variety of hotels around the world. The room was clean, with all modern facilities, a very large bed, a mini bar, a choice of TV channels and pay per view options, etc. The pay per view is not cheap but there is a package on offer for 24hr access to all PPV options. This includes TV internet and up to date movies.

The restaurant at the hotel serves fantastic food. We didn't have evening meals included in our package and, again, the food was not cheap but neither was it excessive in cost compared to other major European capital cities. It was certainly value for money in terms of quality, however. That first night's meal competed with anything that we had on the remaining nights of our holiday. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive and very tasty.

Having checked out to travel home only this morning it was nice to have a quick and efficient check out service with a bill which matched our expenditure to the letter. No complications, no fuss.

All in all I would rate this hotel experience as exemplary and it really made the trip all the better. Myself and my wife would like to thank all the staff and the management for their efforts.

1 Thank XperiencedTraveller5
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is a great pleasure to read that you rate your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre as being exemplary. I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. The central railway station is located within 5 minutes walking distance of the hotel and other public transport, trams and buses, also stop right in front of the hotel and will take you to all the highlights of Amsterdam.

Crowne Plaza is indeed part of IHG- InterContinental Hotel Group and as an IHG Rewards Club member you are able to save points and benefit of various privileges as complimentary WiFi.
Furthermore it is wonderful that you enjoyed having breakfast and dinner in our New Dorrius restaurant and that you enjoyed both and found it good value for money.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is hoping to having the pleasure of welcoming you back during one of your future visits to the city of Amsterdam.

Sandefjord, Norway
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Me and my teenage daughter spent one night at the Crown Plaza at a pre-Christmas trip to Amsterdam.
The hotel is a short walk from the Central Station, and easy to find.
We arrived at around 9 am, and did not expect to be able to check in, but just wanted to leave our luggage in storage. The check-in staff, however, was very welcoming and they also acknowledged my IHG membership, and offered us to check in to the room. Great!
First thing on the program was to visit Anne Franks House, and we got good directions explained from the check-in staff.

The room had a good size, although the bathroom was a bit small. Very clean. The bed was very comfortable, and there were nice soaps in the bathroom. We could hear some noise during the day from the trams, but it was very quiet at night, we slept well.

It was a bit confusing to find the room, as on of the lifts was broken, so we had to walk a little trough the corridors, and it was easy to take a wrong turn, however we got the hang of it in the end.

The hotel was very nicely decorated for Christmas, and had a nice lobby/ bar area with fire place.

Internet was complimentary, I guess it is for all IHG members.

Breakfast was very good with different hot and cold dishes. They had pancakes, and you can order eggs cooked the way you like. Coffee was served at the table. I believe I also saw a bottle of CAVA on the breakfast bar :-)

The check out lady was just as nice and helpful as the gentleman who checked us in. She told me (without me asking) the time for the Airport train and also which platform we should go to.

All in all, a very pleasant experience, and I guess there chance is very big that I will stay at this hotel if i ever visit Amsterdam again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vestfoldgirl
CPamsterdam, Food & Beverage Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you were able to check in at 9am in the morning. We always do our utbest to provide you with a room as soon as possible upon arrival and otherwise provide alternatives to make sure you can fresh up, store your luggage with us, and can already start exploring the city of Amsterdam!

It is also a pleasure to read that you enrolled for our IHG Rewards Club Membership and already experienced several benefits of this program as complimentary WiFi. Furthermore it is great to read that you enjoyed having breakfast in our New Dorrius Restaurant. As you mention this buffet offers you a variety of hot and cold dishes and you can even start your day with a glass of Cava indeed!

Once again thank you for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to read that you will choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre when visiting the city of Amsterdam again. We are already looking forward welcoming you back one day.

Jaap Roomeijer
F&B Manager
Kfar Saba, Israel
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza City Centre in Amsterdam. The hotel is ideally located near to the Central Station and is well connected by tram, bus and metro to all major tourist sites. The hotel is ultra-modern and comfortable with plush furnishings and linens. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was great and included all types of dishes made to order including pancakes and poached eggs done perfectly!
We strongly recommend this hotel for your next stay in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We had an upgraded superior room
1 Thank lshalev
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, 30 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. As you mention it is close to the central railway station as well as the tram stop and many of Amsterdam’s highlights!

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked our modern and comfortable rooms. Furthermore it is wonderful to read that all the staff you encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. It is always a pleasure to read when staff is delivering the service they do.

Thank you for recommending the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre and we are looking forward to welcoming you back during one of your future visits to the city!