“Brilliant Hotel”

Ranked #144 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My friend and I checked in at 10am which was was 4hours early. Staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is away from the bustle of the city but so close to the tram stop and train station (2 stops from the airport) Breakfast was amazing and unhurried. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can choose a pillow to suit which is helpful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jan S
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Jan S,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Amsterdam. Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you and your friend again at Holiday Inn Amsterdam.
Kind regards, Martijn Fritsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Location: Amsterdam South, easily accesable by regular train (not airport train!) from Schiphol airport (Fee 2,50 €). From the RAI train station it's a 3 minutes walk. By tram its a 20 minutes ride to the city center.

Check-in: fast, friendly staff at reception. Was not recognized as Gold card member.

Room: normal room, no extras, normal cleanliness

Restaurant: When passing by the breakfast buffet I saw a mouse running along the plates. Although I did immediately inform a waiter nothing did happen. When leaving the restaurant, I stopped by the buffet again and checked the plate under which the mouse had hidden. It was still there, with another one! Then I informed another employee, who then reacted and caught the mice. The hotel manager on duty told me, that already other guests had complained, so my observation was nothing extraordinary. As compensation the WiFi should be free, a service that is free for Gold card holders.

2 Thank flyingfox007
Dear flyingfox007,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.
Since the start of the construction work and drilling operations around the RAI station the surrounding company's and our hotel are dealing with this problem. Off course this is not an excuse however I do want to inform you about what is causing this most inconvenient situation. Our pest control visits our hotel on a regular basis and I have contacted them to come over after receiving your comments. We truly hope, as the construction will move along, the mice will look for other areas. Please know that we take this very serious and truly regret the situation as we completely understand this is unacceptable for our valued guests.
Once again please accept my personal apologies and I hope you nevertheless enjoyed your stay with us.
Lyon, France
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I attended a business congress and held a series of customer presentations at this Holiday Inn a short walk from the RAI congress centre. I have to say everything worked perfectly thanks to the hotel staff and particularly Maurice. Of course, I sprang some last minute surprises on them which they took in their stride and managed well. My customers, boss (very important) and myself were all extremely satisfied and I will not hesitate to mert here again should the opportunity arise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Terry55UK,
Thank you very much for your nice comments and compliments about our hotelteam and Maurice in particular. I will make sure to forward your compliments.
We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and to receiving your next review on TripAdvisor or on our own review page of our hotel.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I couldn't believe when I returned to my hotel room from work and noticed the housekeeper has taken the soap residue out of the garbage bin and has put it back in the shower thinking it's not all used yet!!!!
Then the bathroom had a terrible smell that almost made me through up!!! Probably because of a dirty cloth that the housekeeper used to clean up the bathroom. They changed my room when they assessed the room themselves!!! No apology whatsoever!
I asked for some sort of compensation for the night based on their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy, while they rudely accepted I had a hard time upon checkout to convince them when I noticed my bill was all screwed up! Even the manager on duty didn't trust me an made several phone calls to validate my claim. Took me about an hour to check out!!!
Last, I asked them to email me the invoice, and they haven't done yet after 3 days (may be because they didn't want me to receive a survey!!!)

Room Tip: Go to a 1 star hotel and you will feel more comfortable that this over 300 Euros per night!!!!
2 Thank Jimmy142
Dear Jimmy142,
Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. Feedback like this gives us the possibility to adjust our services and products where needed.
I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Could you perhaps send me the details of your stay per e-mail to sales.amsnt@whgeu.com? This way I can make sure you receive a follow up and if the invoice reached you properly.
maastricht
Reviewed 4 October 2013

this holiday inn offers the usual comforts of this chain, very predictably. the rooms are somewhat basic, I've certainly been in better Holiday Inns, although I was in some sort of VIP room. staff was efficient and friendly. breakfast was good. I was there for 2 days as a conference delegate in the nearby (7 min walking) RAI conference center. for this purpose the hotel is ideally situated, but for everything else the location is not great. it's quite far away from the interesting sights in Amsterdam. recommended for business travel only.

Room Tip: highest floor has nice views of amsterdam, if you're facing the right way
Dear frankv_belgium,
Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay during the conference.
We would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in the future.
Reading
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times whilst attending trade shows at the RAI, most recently last month

It's easy and cheap to get from Schipol by train and only a 3 minute walk from the station to the hotel (use the side entrance to avoid walking all the way round outside the hotel)

Reception is efficient and friendly, the rooms are always clean and comfortable although lacking in free bottled water.

Bar staff are excellent, and have been there for years. Bar food is pretty good too.

I no longer bother with breakfast as the service is poor and slow with a general lack of staff. Self service coffee doesn't work as the machines are too few and very slow. A few years ago it was a lot better.

Dear TandSReading,
Thank you for having taking the time to write your comments and post them on Tripadvisor, your feedback is extremely important to us.
We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our breakfast service. We recently have implemented a number of changes in our continuous aim to improve both service and quality of our breakfast. Your comments will be discussed with our Managers as a part of this process.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We're just getting off of Viking River cruises in Amsterdam and couldn't get to our hotel museum quarter for the night we arrived. I went on Priceline looking for a hotel in the museum quarter and was recommended for the Holiday Inn Amsterdam. The price seemed reasonable and the hotel looked nice and it was supposedly in the museum quarter. After €37 cab ride from the central station area we arrived in a business park at this hotel. There was nothing in the neighborhood except businesses. It was a 45 minute tram ride it back into central Amsterdam and or taxi the next day to our hotel and the museum quarter was €17. The hotel itself is nice but the location sucks for tourists. I will not trust Priceline again when making a booking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimboflyguy69
Dear Jimboflyguy69,
Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay, we are very thankful for your review.
We are sorry to read that the location didn't meet your expectations and we would like to apologize for that. The Holiday Inn Amsterdam is indeed located in the business area close to Amsterdam RAI and the RAI train station.
We do hope that you enjoyed your stay.