“Not a HI Fan but I LOVED this place!”

Holiday Inn Amsterdam
Ranked #144 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tampa, Florida
“Not a HI Fan but I LOVED this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I'm a die hard Marriott fan. I will be honest -- I've always seen Holiday Inn as a cheap service/amenity hotel. In the USA I would never of stayed at a Holiday Inn. Until Amsterdam... I stayed at this hotel on business for a conference I was speaking at in the RAI convention center. The association I was speaking for booked my hotel at the Holiday Inn with all of the other speakers and meeting organizers. I was upset knowing this as I flew into Amsterdam. I made it to the hotel very easily via the train (very easy!). It was just about a less than 5 minute walk from the quick 15 - 20 minute train ride from Schipol.

When I arrived at the hotel I was VERY pleased with the interior of the lobby. It was very modern, clean, and not cheap looking at all. It smelled wonderful and the staff was superb! I walked around the hotel and visited the bar area as well as had dinner at their restaurant. The food was delicious as was the service. My room was wayyy better than I expected for a Holiday Inn. Flat screen TV, cable, clean bedding and room, smell was great, clean bathroom, all was great!

I wouldn't stay here if I was coming for fun because it is isn't all that central to much anything that a tourist would want to do. I did have 2 free days and took the train to a few places outside of where the hotel was located. For business and my visit to the Rai... this place was awesome!!

I loved it! It made me even consider staying at Holiday Inn properties in the states... I haven't yet but it made me think about it!

Room Tip: Take the train to and from the airport... it is easy and very cheap!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear justadude1986,
It is great to read that the Holiday Inn Amsterdam was able to change your opinion about the Holiday Inn image. Even if a future stay is not business related, we can always give you tips about transportation to the city centre. So thank you for these kind words and we hope to be your host again in the future.
Pascal Aartman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

In this expensive hotel, they dont really think you are paying enough... WiFi (although working pretty good), is an expensive merchendise, at €15/day.... no discount on 4 days+ staying... Ridiculous... Nelly where are you sleeping while at #BBWF..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear JakaMele,
Your review regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Amsterdam is highly appreciated.
We try to inform our guests as best as possible about any additional costs which may occur during their stay. The use of internet or Wi-Fi is one of those extra's.
Martijn Fritsen
Holon, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Regular hotel, nothing fancy.... to get to the city center you have to take a train, and exchange stations... not the most convenient thing to do... Unless you are in a conference at that hotel, try to find a hotel closer to city center.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear EladOgden,
Thank you for taking the time and leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
Our hotel is indeed ideally located for conferences and business trips. Our reception can give you directions to the city centre by using bus, train or underground. Or you can hire one of the bikes the hotel offers.
We hope we can be your host during a future stay.
Martijn Fritsen
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel while attending a conference at the RAI convention center. The hotel is not fancy, but service is good and people at reception are very nice. While the hotel is very close to the station and walking distance to the convention center, there is public transportation to the center 100 meters from the hotel. Rooms are clean and have tea and coffee. Breakfast is good, but they could serve more fresh fruit. Internet is working good, but it is not free.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Claudia23,
Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay, we are very thankful for your review.
It is a pleasure to read about your positive experiences within our property! Your compliments regarding the staff are very comforting and are already shared with them.
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

stay there for business issue. quite expensive. location is near to RAI conference centre but not very near, still need to walk 10-15mins, tho is already the closest available hotel. transport is convenient. tram and train v. nearby. but not much attraction around. if you stay at Amsterdam for sightseeing, better stay at around central station.

room is spacious. not very new, clear enough.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank Michelle, C.y. F
Dear Michelle, C.y. F,
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
The location of our hotel is indeed very convenient for business travelers. Due to the RAI train station it is also a few stops away from the City Centre. Should you need any information about the area, our front office staff can always provide this information and give directions.
Again I would like to thank you for leaving a review.
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My friend and I checked in at 10am which was was 4hours early. Staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is away from the bustle of the city but so close to the tram stop and train station (2 stops from the airport) Breakfast was amazing and unhurried. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can choose a pillow to suit which is helpful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jan S
Dear Jan S,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Amsterdam. Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you and your friend again at Holiday Inn Amsterdam.
Nuremberg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Location: Amsterdam South, easily accesable by regular train (not airport train!) from Schiphol airport (Fee 2,50 €). From the RAI train station it's a 3 minutes walk. By tram its a 20 minutes ride to the city center.

Check-in: fast, friendly staff at reception. Was not recognized as Gold card member.

Room: normal room, no extras, normal cleanliness

Restaurant: When passing by the breakfast buffet I saw a mouse running along the plates. Although I did immediately inform a waiter nothing did happen. When leaving the restaurant, I stopped by the buffet again and checked the plate under which the mouse had hidden. It was still there, with another one! Then I informed another employee, who then reacted and caught the mice. The hotel manager on duty told me, that already other guests had complained, so my observation was nothing extraordinary. As compensation the WiFi should be free, a service that is free for Gold card holders.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank flyingfox007
Dear flyingfox007,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.
Since the start of the construction work and drilling operations around the RAI station the surrounding company's and our hotel are dealing with this problem. Off course this is not an excuse however I do want to inform you about what is causing this most inconvenient situation. Our pest control visits our hotel on a regular basis and I have contacted them to come over after receiving your comments. We truly hope, as the construction will move along, the mice will look for other areas. Please know that we take this very serious and truly regret the situation as we completely understand this is unacceptable for our valued guests.
Once again please accept my personal apologies and I hope you nevertheless enjoyed your stay with us.