“Excellent hotel in Amsterdam”

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
Ranked #83 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 8 & 3 years old girls) - booked the family/quadruple room with 2 queen size beds for 3 nights on our way back from Paris to Kuala Lumpur.

From Schiphol, we took the Connexxion Schiphol Hotel Shuttle. Their desk is located at the arrival terminal 4 next to Starbucks. We paid for return tickets to/from the hotel. This is very convenient considering we are travelling with 2 big luggages and 2 small kids. We also made appointment with them to pick us up at the hotel on our departure date.

This hotel is located nicely in the city center close to some of the tourist attractions. It's about 10 - 15 mins walk to the Rijkmuseum. The Canal Boat Tour (hop-on hop-off) stop point is just in front of the hotel. There's an Albert Heijn supermarket close by about 10 mins walking - if you need to buy water/snacks. I saw a self service laundrymart nearby as well but didn't use the service as we still have a lot of clean clothes.

The hotel is well maintained. Lobby, hall etc are very clean. The room is spacious enough for us. The queen size beds are very comfortable. The pillows are very soft for a good night sleep. The carpet & furniture are clean and well maintained. Overall room condition is good and clean. Bathroom / toilet are clean and maintained well.

The buffet breakfast is very good - plenty of different selections of food. We didn't eat lunch/dinner at the hotel so cannot comment on the restaurant.

The hotel staff are very helpful. We enjoyed our stay here. Though a bit expensive, the stay was worth it.

Room Tip: Higher room is better - will not hear any traffic noise. Get the room with the Leidseplein view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank hhakim
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location for being Central to all Amsterdam has to offer. Good size rooms, nice bar and good facilities. Can be very busy particularly at reception for check in and out. Bar did not open beyond hours for residents but otherwise good all round place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We have just returned after a short holiday in Amsterdam and surroundings and our accomodation was at Marriott Amsterdam; it was probably the 4th or 5th time we have stayed there, the second time just for this year and we have decided to avoid this hotel from now on.
Hotel is fine - I mean the building itself, the rooms and ammenities; what made us dissappointed was the service we got, as follow:
- you would expect a hotel like Marriott to keep guests' personal data so that the check in process would take seconds; as I told, we have been there twice just this year but still I had to fill in all details on the registration form;
- we have rented a car during our stay and we have obviously used the hotel parking - for the rate of 5 EUR/hour or 55 EUR/day; same rate apply to the public parking place in the vicinity so I question myself if Marriott could not make a preferential rate for hotel guests, considering I've paid 270 EUR per day for bed and breakfast only ...;
- cleaning in the room was not OK; towels in bathroom not changed every day; one evening my wife spent 15 minutes looking for her pyjama that she knew she left on the pillow; she found it finally thrown under the bed - difficult to understand how it went there;
- breakfast was the same for 4 days in a row; not to many choices and absolutelly no variation; in my opinion the food was not of high quality;
- speaking about breakfast: everyone has to stand at the entrance and a waiter is taking him to the table; the problem was that number of tables in the restaurand is by far to small so that many people were standing at the door and looking the others eating for even more than 10 minutes; I would say this is not a nice way to start a day;
- the gentleman in concierge was not very polite when I have asked him for some small things such as a city map or assistance in calling my room from the lobby;
- my bill at the end was overcharged by 220 EUR and it was corrected when I show the error to the lady at check out.

As a conclusion: all the issues above are not necessary critical but when I'm booking Marriott I would expect to get a service close to perfection. The same bed, food and poor service I could get to any 3 stars hotel in the area but for half of the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Meredith_Opten, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We were disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with your personally. Please feel free to contact us in hopes that we can prove ourselves a better in host, and the possibility to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Marriott again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

It was a very bad experience. The welcoming was bad because my bag have been stolen in the lobby by a stranger. It was shown in the hotel camera. The hotel is a mess and ther is no security. The service is bad and not friendly with as. The key of our rooms is not working and we must change it every time.I don't advice you to enter this hotel at any time

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank sarah_ppo
Meredith_Opten, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Guest,
On behalf of our General Manager, Rex A.G. Nijhof, we would like to thank you again for your feedback. As we expressed during your stay, we were very sorry to hear about the loss of your bag as the safety and security of our guests is of utmost importance to us. Please feel free to contact us directly should we can be of any further assistance.

Executive Assistant

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were in Amsterdam to do a pre-cruise visit (3 plus days). The hotel is very close within walking distance to many good restaurants and all the favorite museums. The newly renovated Rijksmuseum - is a 5 minute walk: RembrandtPlein - is a 15 minute walk: Van Gogh museum - 8 minute walk. Our room, although small, was very well appointed and immaculate. We have access to the executive lounge as a gold member and the breakfast was very good (get there before 8:30) to avoid the crowds and evening appetizers were also very good plus beer and wine are free (5:30 - 9:30pm). There is free wifi in the lobby area. but we had that service in our room. PARKING is very expensive 50 Euros per day. The hotel Mid City Grill is very good but pricy.
We love this city and its charm, but good hotels are expensive. We would come again!!

Room Tip: High floors on back side of hotel (not on street side) are very quiet and the views are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chuck49ers
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very central location, VERY clean rooms + bathroom, and they will even rent you a bike at a nominal daily rate right at the front desk. Front desk also HIGHLY useful and user-friendly staff.

(For example, they advised me that the easiest way to the airport is to take the public bus, which stops about 50 yards in front of the hotel. It may take perhaps 15 minutes longer than a taxi, but only costs 4 euros. Now, that is what I call very useful - and also environmentally friendly - assistance!)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank parisnydude99
Amsnt, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on trip advisor. We were delighted to hear that you were so enthusiastic about the cleanliness of our rooms and service your received from our staff. And a special thank you for recognizing Marriott’s commitment to inspire our guests and associates to conserve and preserve. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Executive Assistant

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I've been in Amsterdam a few times. I usually stayed closed to the Amsterdam Central. This time, I decided to find a new area to stay and I was happy with my choice. The place is so close to Vondel Park and to the shopping and dining area. It's perfect for me. The room is quite spacious and it's clean. The staffs were also friendly. As for the rate, I think it was a bit high and the free wifi is only available in the lobby area.

• Stayed: August 2013