“Amsterdam Life”

Ranked #85 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
“Amsterdam Life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights, we had a comfortable room; comfortable bed, from the window a canal could just about be seen. Very close to Vondel Park; the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. It is easy to get to the hotel from the Central station as tram no. 1 stops nearby. It is a Marriott so you know what to expect; staff were accommodating and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked a side street, it was quiet.
1 Thank fzk1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bridgewater NJ USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel after our cruise. Everything was great and the service was outstanding. We had not trouble checking in even though we were many hours early because our cruise had come in at 6:30 in the morning. My husband is Marriott Elite, so even though we couldn't check into our room, they held our bags and let us use the Executive Lounge for breakfast before our real cards were activated! Nice location, easy tram access although we walked everywhere.
Great because there were 3 of us and the family suite did the trick.
Close to the museum area. Right near the canal boats, so we had our early morning canal ride on Sunday. We were able to walk to all of the museums and even to Dam Square if you follow the tram lines!
Staff held our bags because we had a late night flight out of Amsterdam and they were very helpful in making sure that we got a cab that took credit cards and that would hold the 3 of us and our 4 pieces of luggage. Can't say enough about the staff, especially the nice Polish concierge who could not have been more helpful!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stay for 4 nights.

Pros : near to the city centre, it just a walking distance. it's close to one of the famous park, Vondelpark and also walking distance to the Rijksmuseum.

Cons : The front desk staff is not that friendly(maybe I went there during peak time). Not much choice for the channel tv.

Oh, don't rent the bike from the hotel. Theirs is quite old, even the staff did not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Meredith_Opten, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your time in sharing your experience with us. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and appreciate your recommendation for additional channels as we are looking into the programs most watched, to provide more choices. We would also like to inform you that we have recently serviced all the bicycles and would like to apologize if this and the level of service was not evident during your stay. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again to prove ourselves a better host.

Meredith Opten
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Smile and friendliness make customer to feel welcome and those manners create a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately all staff of the hotel has not understood the meaning of those manners.
I arrived to the Marriott elite desk and there was one woman on the phone. She did not raise her head to face the customer and to smile. Luckily for me, the woman who served me smiled and was really friendly.
In the following morning, we went for a breakfast. The man did not say good morning or did not even watch the customer. I said it to the woman who served the coffee etc. She was sorry and she was really nice and she smiled and it was really nice feeling. Unfortunately she did not work on the following 2 mornings. Maybe she was asked not to come because her attitude was totally different than the rest of the staff. Chef was also really friendly. He smiled to the customer and asked “how are you doing”. I said thank you to him really loud so that the rest of the staff would understand the hint. Cleaners also were really friendly and they acknowledged customers. When you faced other staff in the corridor, they just watched down.
I also ordered Marriott burger from the room service. They asked me how I want to have the meat. I said medium. When I received the burger, the meat was really well-done and it was almost burned.
When I checked out from the hotel, I was lucky because the staff (female behind the desk and male who ordered the taxi) who served me, were really friendly. They smiled and really took care of the customer. Unfortunately there was again one woman on the phone behind the desk who did not lift her head to smile etc.
Hopefully Marriott does not think that customers can be served however they want. Amsterdam is full of hotels so that Marriott also need to do some efforts so that the customers come back, which is the most difficult part in business. Maybe some of Marriott staff should join those smiling/friendly staff for one day so that they notice how much nicer the working day is and how nice atmosphere is spread by smiling/friendly staff.

1 Thank Asko M
Guus V, Front Office Manager at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us in Amsterdam. I was sorry to learn that you did not feel welcome upon your arrival and that you were not greeted by one of our Hosts in the restaurant. I can imagine that these experiences may give a negative impression and our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
We were glad to learn meanwhile that our Chef in restaurant, Housekeeping Hosts and Front Desk Hosts who assisted you during check out gave a much more positive impression.

Guus Verhulst
Guus.verhulst@marriott.com
Sugar Land, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Rooms are typical Marriott ... everything you need, but not much more. This particular Marriott is showing its age a bit. Check-in was a fiasco - many guests arrive from the US in the morning, but no effort is made to make rooms available early, or make the 6-8 hour wait more tolerable. Breakfast buffet is adequate but expensive. If you plan to order anything from the chef, you'd better have plenty of time available ! The guest info package says that breakfast is available from 6 each day, but on weekends ... it is 7 ... not much use if you have a 9 o'clock flight.

The central location is the main selling point, but there are cheaper places to stay, and I suspect there are much better and more interesting places to stay in Amsterdam.

Amidst the mediocrity, I should mention the concierges, who were friendly and helpful.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of your stay at the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. We appreciate hearing from you since the feedback we receive is valuable to us, in order to maintain and or improve in all areas where possible and necessary.

We were sorry to learn that your room was not ready upon your arrival in the morning and that you felt that we did not make enough effort to make your room available earlier. Our ultimate goal is to have all rooms ready upon our guests their arrival, however this is sometimes challenging with high occupancies. We regret that the breakfast times in our restaurant were not convenient for you on the morning of your departure and that your order from the Chef in the restaurant took too long.

Please accept our apologies that we did not meet your expectations during this stay. We look forward to the possibility to welcome you back again and hope you will contact us prior to your arrival so that we can better prepare for your stay.

Guus Verhulst
Guus.verhulst@marriott.com
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Marriott Amsterdam is a busy, well functioning city hotel. Nothing over the top....just really good. We checked in early following a river cruise. The lobby was mobbed with similar travelers but the staff was outstanding in doing their best to ready rooms. It's a great location right on the tram (1,2,5)lines that run between Central Station and the Museum district.

But the real reason for my Excellent review is more personal. I left a ziploc bag with jewelry (yes, I used a ZIPLOC BAG) and my house keys on the bed. I realized this when we arrived back in the states and went to look for the keys! I immediately called the hotel and the man who spoke with me conferenced housekeeping in so I could explain. Unfortunately, the bag had not been turned in. He told me that I should e-mail them the details and they would initiate a formal inquiry. The next morning I was thrilled to find a response that they indeed had the bag and its contents. They included forms to authorize the charge (49e) to fedex back to me and a form to document what was in the bag. The whole situation was handled so professionally. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking the worst in these circumstances but my faith was restored as I await my package!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank planner4
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Usual Marriott standard. Cannot fault the hotel or the experience. Staff very helpful. Good standard of room, great size bathroom and clean, and loved the hotel location. So easy to walk to shops.

Good breakfast too.

Recommended as a great base when in Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business