Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Hotel Jimmy(Amsterdam)
A-Train Hotel(Amsterdam)
Avenue Hotel(Amsterdam)
3,549 results
All reviewsthe club loungecentral stationgreat locationguest servicesconcierge deskwithin walking distanceminute walkdam squareriver cruisered light districtanne frank housevery nice hotelearly checkquiet streetmini barbreakfast was includedvan gogh museum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Originally selected this hotel based on its location in Amsterdam for what I need to do. My first impression when we arrived was how small and crowed the lobby was with luggage piled everywhere, for a minute I thought I was back in the train station. During my entire stay the lobby was always crowed and not easy to get around because of luggage piled everywhere. Just off the lobby was a cruise boat courtesy table with people standing a rounding looking for divine intervention, always adding to the congestion. Evidently this hotel caters to people going on cruises out of Amsterdam during the summer. The room was small and over looked the street, which turned out to be noisy all night. This was the third Marriott property in Europe that I stayed at on this trip that had Internet connectivity problems, so I couldn't use my laptop in the hotel during my stay. In general a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Great hotel albeit the rooms are a bit small by USA standards. The location was terrific near Central Station, Red Light District and access to the canals.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend break at the end of August 2011 and found the Renaissance to be a very good choice. The staff were very friendly and helpful everytime we asked for anything and we would definitely recommend the hotel to others.

I have seen some people say that it is expensive here but I think we were lucky since we found a good last minute rate that also included breakfast, which was well worth it here. We have both stayed in lots of hotels for business and pleasure and found this to be one of the best so it is worth having if you get the choice.

The location is great, being a short walk from the station, and the rooms were very comfortable. The only thing that would have been better for us is for the rooms to have coffee/tea in them since, although it is offered free in the lobby, it would be nice to be able to have a drink in the morning before leaving.

The bar seemed very quiet with little atmosphere (maybe since we were there at a weekend) so we did not eat or drink in the hotel but we had a really good meal at Gauchos on the other side of the road, which we would recommend.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

The Renaissence has a great location so you can walk almost everywhere in the centre. Reception desk are usually crowed and check-in takes a long time. Stayed in a well appointed junior suite, clean and comfortable but thin walls (yes, you can hear everything from room next door...) and too dark for my taste. Amsterdam is a grey city with not a lot of sunlight and so are the rooms: windows are small and lights are dim which make it a bit depressing. Room service menu is not inspiring but buffet breakfast in main restaurant in excellent. Overall an average experience and I would probably try a different hotel next time in town.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We arrived for 1 night before a cruise. We paid a lot of money through Holland America Cruises for a deluxe room. Our room wasn't ready, so we had lunch on the property. I specifically asked for a quiet room because we were jet lagged from flying overseas. We were given a beautiful room, but it was next to the ice machine which was very audible in the room. Then, we were moved to a very small room which had less than a foot between the dresser and the bed.It was smaller than a cruiseship cabin! There was no room to move the suitcases to the side of the room to store them. Thank goodness the bellboy took pity on us and called the front desk to intervene. On the third try, we were put in a quiet deluxe room---that the cruiseline paid for.

I felt the front desk (Samantha who spoke with an American accent) was taking advantage of jetlagged customers. We asked for a quiet room initially, so there shouldn't have been an issue. We paid for a deluxe, normal sized room so they shouldn't have tried to pawn off an unusually small room on us.

Other than that, the hotel was in a great location and it was lovely. I just felt that we were being taken advantage of. Just be aware that they may try to stick you with an unsatisfactory room initially!

1  Thank LindaM2