“Surprisingly, No tea making facilities!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #90 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Surprisingly, No tea making facilities!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

As frequent British tea drinkers, there were no tea making facilities which spoilt our stay. Room service for tea was possible but expensive at the current exchange rate at 4 euros each!
No free wireless in the foyer which for an establishment this size was surprising. But everything else was okay and the location was fab!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Renaissance in Amsterdam and didn't have to take the subway or a taxi one time! The hotel is located directly across the street from the train station and you can easily walk with luggage back and forth. The hotel is also walking district from the Red Light District, the Anne Frank House and great shopping, restaurants, etc. The concierge desk helped us book a canal tour and we were able to purchase the ticket at the hotel and put on our hotel bill. The concierge desk also suggested two great restaurants.
The rooms are fine sized, what you expect of a hotel. The bathrooms were updated and TV was good sized. We really didn't spend too much time in the room! :)
We had access to the concierge lounge which was FABULOUS! The breakfast was awesome and the "happy hour" with free apps and cocktails served as our dinner 2 nights!
I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sunnyvale, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

I checked in, and they told me my travel partner had already checked in yesterday. He hadn't, and I wasn't expecting him to.

The room they gave me had an ice machine about feet from the door in the hallway. Every 5 minutes there was a loud crash of ice

I called down to ask for a room change, they said someone would call back. They didn't. (I didn't give the details, I just asked for a change)

I called again after 10 minutes and they said that they've found me a room with two double beds, instead of the King. They had presumed that I wanted the change because we were two men in a king bed.

They told me the new room would be on the 7th floor and they'd send someone up to move me. A bellhop knocks on my door in a few minutes and gives me the keys--to a room on the lobby floor. This is a room literally off the lobby lounge area! It sounds like there's a party going on outside.

I'VE stayed at this hotel on previous trips to IBC. I WILL NEVER, EVER, STAY IN THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tppllc
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed here using our Marriott points so I cannot comment on the value - but having used the points, we were comfortable with our decision.

I have some mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with it all - nothing to complain about - but on the other hand, not a lot stands out, either. Our room was relatively small though perfectly adequate and faced in to an internal square (they call them "quiet rooms" - and they are, if people don't have their windows open while partying, which happened only one night but hey, it's Amsterdam and we were on holiday and it was pretty tough to complain about it and we didn't - doesn't affect our opinion - just thought I should mention it).

When I'm on holiday I like to sit in the hotel and read with coffee or a drink and to watch the sights - well, I couldn't - so that, and the fact that internet was so expensive and sometimes iffy (I think it was 20 euros a day), are the only 2 downsides.

The location is truly excellent - the hotel is walking distance to the train station (we took side-trips to Delft, the Hague); the Red Light District (odd! but very interesting!); the canals and everything actually, that there is to do. We walked and walked and walked. I never did manage to orient myself and was forever getting lost and wandering in circles (literally, one time I thought I'd walked a good distance and found a solo lunch spot and I looked out the back door and voila, there was the hotel) - but my husband got the hang of the city and spent hours traipsing around and exploring.

The front desk staff were more-or-less welcoming but the concierge staff I found, were excellent.

We found the restaurant to be expensive and did not eat there. I believe the breakfast alone was 26 euros. We found little bakeries and a grocery store (Albert Heijn) close-by and bought bread and cheese.

So I give this hotel 4 stars but mainly for its location. It's just a place to sleep. A comfortable place to sleep, but could be anywhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel from August 11 to the 14. The service was great and the people were friendly. The hotel location is close to everything, I will definetely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Del Mar, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Originally selected this hotel based on its location in Amsterdam for what I need to do. My first impression when we arrived was how small and crowed the lobby was with luggage piled everywhere, for a minute I thought I was back in the train station. During my entire stay the lobby was always crowed and not easy to get around because of luggage piled everywhere. Just off the lobby was a cruise boat courtesy table with people standing a rounding looking for divine intervention, always adding to the congestion. Evidently this hotel caters to people going on cruises out of Amsterdam during the summer. The room was small and over looked the street, which turned out to be noisy all night. This was the third Marriott property in Europe that I stayed at on this trip that had Internet connectivity problems, so I couldn't use my laptop in the hotel during my stay. In general a disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael D
Highland, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Great hotel albeit the rooms are a bit small by USA standards. The location was terrific near Central Station, Red Light District and access to the canals.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple