“Excellent Amsterdam Hotel”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #84 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We arrived in Amsterdam for our Honeymoon a day earlier than originally planned and realized we had not informed our reserved hotel (the Crowne Plaza) of the change in our plans. To our dismay, they were sold out for that night, so we hauled our luggage around the corner to the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel and we were SO happy we did! The hotel staff is amazing - incredibly nice, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful, the room was nothing short of beautiful - large and clean and absolutely charming. We loved the hotel so much, we tried to cancel our stay at the Crowne Plaza and remain at the Renaissance - but were unable to. The room at the Crowne Plaza did not even come close to comparing to the room at the Renaissance - in fact, the entire hotel paled in comparison! Please learn from our mistake and book the Renaissance for your entire stay in Amsterdam - its such a comfortable, incredible treat - you will be glad you did!!! We will be back!

Room Tip: The club level rooms are a bit more expensive, but are completely worth it with free happy hour and...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I used this hotel as a base during a 3 week vacation to northern Europe, staying 4 different times on arrival and departure of myself and friends as well as when touring Amsterdam. The location could not be better, just a few blocks from the train station so easy to get to even when dragging heavy luggage. The staff was competent and pleasant. One of the concierges was particularly helpful in planning long distance bike rides around the country.
I had access to the executive lounge which was well stocked and had interesting evening hor d'ouvres. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The "ninth" floor is inconvenient if you are going in and out a lot but some of those room...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2011

As frequent British tea drinkers, there were no tea making facilities which spoilt our stay. Room service for tea was possible but expensive at the current exchange rate at 4 euros each!
No free wireless in the foyer which for an establishment this size was surprising. But everything else was okay and the location was fab!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Renaissance in Amsterdam and didn't have to take the subway or a taxi one time! The hotel is located directly across the street from the train station and you can easily walk with luggage back and forth. The hotel is also walking district from the Red Light District, the Anne Frank House and great shopping, restaurants, etc. The concierge desk helped us book a canal tour and we were able to purchase the ticket at the hotel and put on our hotel bill. The concierge desk also suggested two great restaurants.
The rooms are fine sized, what you expect of a hotel. The bathrooms were updated and TV was good sized. We really didn't spend too much time in the room! :)
We had access to the concierge lounge which was FABULOUS! The breakfast was awesome and the "happy hour" with free apps and cocktails served as our dinner 2 nights!
I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I checked in, and they told me my travel partner had already checked in yesterday. He hadn't, and I wasn't expecting him to.

The room they gave me had an ice machine about feet from the door in the hallway. Every 5 minutes there was a loud crash of ice

I called down to ask for a room change, they said someone would call back. They didn't. (I didn't give the details, I just asked for a change)

I called again after 10 minutes and they said that they've found me a room with two double beds, instead of the King. They had presumed that I wanted the change because we were two men in a king bed.

They told me the new room would be on the 7th floor and they'd send someone up to move me. A bellhop knocks on my door in a few minutes and gives me the keys--to a room on the lobby floor. This is a room literally off the lobby lounge area! It sounds like there's a party going on outside.

I'VE stayed at this hotel on previous trips to IBC. I WILL NEVER, EVER, STAY IN THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank tppllc
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed here using our Marriott points so I cannot comment on the value - but having used the points, we were comfortable with our decision.

I have some mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with it all - nothing to complain about - but on the other hand, not a lot stands out, either. Our room was relatively small though perfectly adequate and faced in to an internal square (they call them "quiet rooms" - and they are, if people don't have their windows open while partying, which happened only one night but hey, it's Amsterdam and we were on holiday and it was pretty tough to complain about it and we didn't - doesn't affect our opinion - just thought I should mention it).

When I'm on holiday I like to sit in the hotel and read with coffee or a drink and to watch the sights - well, I couldn't - so that, and the fact that internet was so expensive and sometimes iffy (I think it was 20 euros a day), are the only 2 downsides.

The location is truly excellent - the hotel is walking distance to the train station (we took side-trips to Delft, the Hague); the Red Light District (odd! but very interesting!); the canals and everything actually, that there is to do. We walked and walked and walked. I never did manage to orient myself and was forever getting lost and wandering in circles (literally, one time I thought I'd walked a good distance and found a solo lunch spot and I looked out the back door and voila, there was the hotel) - but my husband got the hang of the city and spent hours traipsing around and exploring.

The front desk staff were more-or-less welcoming but the concierge staff I found, were excellent.

We found the restaurant to be expensive and did not eat there. I believe the breakfast alone was 26 euros. We found little bakeries and a grocery store (Albert Heijn) close-by and bought bread and cheese.

So I give this hotel 4 stars but mainly for its location. It's just a place to sleep. A comfortable place to sleep, but could be anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel from August 11 to the 14. The service was great and the people were friendly. The hotel location is close to everything, I will definetely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends